FLOPPY MIRRORS

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

FLOPPY MIRRORS

Postby BEARKILLER » Wed May 16, 2007 8:46 pm

I just got done permanently fixing the "always blowed flat against the door" passenger-side mirror on the wife's truck.

I had previously tried several short-lived remedies, only to have the mirror swing flat against the side of the truck, when I, or she, needed it the most.

:idea: Here is what I did, and it's guaranteed to buckle the sheet-metal before it gives again.

I drilled a 7/64" hole through the thin metal clamp that holds the mirrors shank.

As the shank is too hard for drilling, I marked the hole location on the shank, after the wife assured me that the mirror was positioned like she wanted it for now and all time to come.

I took a diamond-pointed cutter in a Dremel tool and cut the hole in the mirror shank to 3/16" diameter, being careful to not damage the power-head operating wires.

When I re-assembled the mirror, I drove a short #8 hex-head sheet-metal screw through the clamp and into the hole I cut in the shank.

To further secure things, I drove another screw in the crack between the shank and the aluminum bracket, as far as it would go, then cut the screw-shank flush; this really tightened things up.

I re-installed the trim/cover.

Nothing short of a solid gate-post, or big Beech tree, is going to move that mirror now. :mrgreen:
MY TRUCK = 1985 FORD F-350 2wd, 89 1st.Gen.Cummins,Getrag 5-sp,Dana70 3:55

WIFE'S TRUCK = 1991.5 D-250 I/C, Auto

SON'S TRUCK = 1990 W-250 Getrag

#4 = 1991 D-350 LE Getrag
BEARKILLER
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DIESELCHICK » Wed May 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Good job!! :D I'm sure she appreciates it!!
DIESELCHICK
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am

But now, if you loose a mirror-jousting contest, you're guranteed to rip the thing off the sheet-metal, or bend the bejeesus out of something.

I had pretty good luck with installing pieces of rubber tire intertube between the clamp and the mirror.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby BEARKILLER » Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Begle1 wrote:I had pretty good luck with installing pieces of rubber tire intertube between the clamp and the mirror.

That was the second failed experiment of about twenty.

I first wrapped several layers of duck tape, then the inner-tube, then double-sided carpet-tape, then shower curtain-rod sleeve material, etc., etc.

The REAL mirrors, on my Ford, are immovable.

I found out just how immovable they were, a couple winters ago, when I was backing a trailer through a gate, very slippery ground, a little "sidling"; when, all of a sudden, the truck slid sideways--KERWHAM--into a crosstie-turned-gatepost.

It ripped the mirror off the door, tearing the inner fastenings through the sheetmetal.

That is the only episode in thirty years of driving.
MY TRUCK = 1985 FORD F-350 2wd, 89 1st.Gen.Cummins,Getrag 5-sp,Dana70 3:55

WIFE'S TRUCK = 1991.5 D-250 I/C, Auto

SON'S TRUCK = 1990 W-250 Getrag

#4 = 1991 D-350 LE Getrag
BEARKILLER
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DTanklage » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:27 pm

:worthless:
slowass 2nd gen - ADRL pro mod bike #798 - 4.26 @ 175 mph (1/8m) - how quick do you wanna go?
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Return to Body