Utility bed to truck bed. Need help!

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Utility bed to truck bed. Need help!

Postby BREEZE1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:48 am

Ok pirates, i have a truck bed dilemma..... Well my truck currently has a utility box on it, and I'm wanting to get a dually bed or just a long bed. I took a quick measurement yesterday of my wheel base and it looks like its 135", this was just laying the measuring tap down and eye balling the center of the wheels. I read on wikipedia that the wheel base should be 131" so it looks like my truck is 4" long. So i may need to do some shortening.
My options are, use a long bed and convert the dually to single wheel (2500 wheels) but its seems like a lot of work to make the wheels fit, or go with a dually bed( witch i can't find one for under $750)...
I guess if i got a long bed I could find the dually finders somewhere and bolt them on, except good luck finding them. I've been able to find plenty of long beds cheap, but I have no idea where to find the dually fenders. Does anybody know where to find them? Or maybe a good idea of what I should do? Chime in!
Thanks Guys!
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Utility bed to truck bed. Need help!

Postby BREEZE1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 am

I just got off the phone with Arrocraft, they make dually finders for standard beds to convert to dually beds. They informed me that there bolt pattern would not match up to the dually beds. They only want $495 for a set of fenders, and that is including mounting hardware. I said, "wow what i deal, thanks that's all I needed to know".. There fenders don't look factory and they don't even have mounting holes for your lights. I think i could make better looking fenders myself. Any who I'm just ranting now. It would be nice to find a quality fender that was reasonably priced.
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:38 am

well sounds like you have a cab-chassy truck which has a longer wheel base, mind ya these are just ideas, put stacks between the bed and cab, build a head-ache rack between cab and bed, cut the frame and drive shaft or replace said shaft, put a cool flat bed on it. thats all i got.

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 am

you cant just bolt the factory fenders on, the wheel opening is way bigger.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby BREEZE1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 am

I was thinking of bolting on the factory ones and cutting out the extra material that is under the fender. I would imagine thats pretty straight forward.

And as for having a gap in between the cab and bed, I think I'll just have to shorten the wheel base so it looks correct.
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Nahh, get 2 boxes and make 1 longer one. It will be just enough different that people will walk by and realise that something is different, but not what. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BREEZE1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:23 pm

ha i did think about that! :bom:
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby TRENDZ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm making a 159'' cab/chassis pickup box. Some things I can tell you... The axle is to narrow to clear the inner wheel wells with dual rear wheels, unless you modify the inner wheel houses. The frame has no cab mount brackets. A set of factory fenders, or dually box will look a bit strange because of the narrow axle.
91 d350 1/2" supply lines, 2nd gen lift pump, regulator, 366, screwed, homebrewed afc pin, linkage mods, ported head, ported ex manifold, 351ve electrically controlled, 3" boost tubes, 2nd gen I/C, 4" ex, goerand
TRENDZ
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:59 pm

But with the narrow axle you could put longer studs and spacers between the wheels and fit some monster meats
under the finder. 8)

Dar
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby BREEZE1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 am

So my dually axle is narrower than the dually axle that comes on the standard dually trucks?? Or were you saying that putting a standard long bed on my truck, the inner wheels wells will be too close to the tires? I apologize, I read this last night when i was drinking and it made no since to me. I got up this morning and read it again, and i'm still not clear. But I did pick up that it has no bed mounts on the back part of the frame. I think you called them "cab mounts". Hey guys im in South Carolina so when talking to me you can let your inner Hill Billy out so I can better understand you. ha ha. I really appreciate every ones input on the questions i ask. Yall really make me feel better about being a cummins owner than any other cars ive had. Once i had a mustang, and everyone looked at me like i was an @ss hole, then i got a Vette and everyone thought i was a prick. But on this forum im just another guy with a damn good truck! Thanks Pirates! :mrgreen:
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Richie O » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 am

This is what I posted on your other thread a few days ago.

Richie O wrote:If its a cab and chassis frame the wheelbase will be off a little as well as the width of the rear end. A bed would go on but there will be a gap between the cab and bed as well as the rear will be tucked in some.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby jeff77indy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am

When I was measuring my cab and chassis for new brake cables I found out someone in the past added 6 inches to the wheel base. Supposed to be 135" according to the VIN but measures 141".
Not that it really matters but it would be nice to know why it was stretched.

Jeff
jeff77indy
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BREEZE1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am

i found this on the net! They said it was a cab chassis.

Now i'm curious to see what the width difference is. Does anyone know the axle withs of either one right off the top of your head?? I may have an idea :bom:
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:21 am

C&C is 6" narrower than a p/u dually.

P/U dually has a 92" track, outside of tire to outside of tire, with 235s on the back.
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Body