bumper tuck

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

bumper tuck

Postby Gots_a_sol » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Not a huge difference, but I think it looks better.

I didn't get a good frontal pic, but I'm sure everybody knows what these trucks look like stock

The gap

After, the bumper is tipped up a bit, but this is pretty much what it looks like.

New gap

I moved the brackets back on the frame about 1-1.5" by using the existing holes and re-drilling the brackets. I'll snap a pic of that if anybody wants.

All the holes are filled now except the 4 bolt holes. After I make sure everything is lined up right, I'll weld the brackets to the bumper itself, then fill those holes as well. The bumper is going to be painted body color at some point.

I'm going to practice on my old mangled bumper first, but I want to narrow the entire thing to tuck in tighter to the fenders also. May shorten the ends also since it nearly covers the light and you noticed it almost instantly.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Re: bumper tuck

Postby BobS » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:08 am

The gap is put in there to allow two differently supported components to have the ability to flex and not make contact with each other. The bumper is mounted rigidly to the frame and the front end sheet metal is suspended in rubber from the body mounts and radiator support rubber. There is a good chance that if you decrease the radial gap to less than the thickness of the radiator support rubber you could end up having unwanted component contact. This would have the highest probability of occurring whenever you elevate opposite corners of your truck such as the right front wheel and the left rear wheel at the same time.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby BREEZE1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:43 am

Basically on a pie chart this is drastically changing the percentages of totaling your truck in a front end collision. I say Fawnk that, I don't drive my truck looking to wreck it. I love how you moved the bumper back..... Heck thats all chip foose does any ways. I plan on doing the same thing now. Thanks for being one of the many pioneers paving the way to a sweet first gen Cummins! :D
BREEZE1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby delinquent » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 am

I like it
delinquent
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 am

I think it looks good. As far as body/frame flex and it hitting the bumper, it is something to be aware of. Its good advice.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Gots_a_sol » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:47 am

BobS wrote:The gap is put in there to allow two differently supported components to have the ability to flex and not make contact with each other. The bumper is mounted rigidly to the frame and the front end sheet metal is suspended in rubber from the body mounts and radiator support rubber. There is a good chance that if you decrease the radial gap to less than the thickness of the radiator support rubber you could end up having unwanted component contact. This would have the highest probability of occurring whenever you elevate opposite corners of your truck such as the right front wheel and the left rear wheel at the same time.

Good point.

If this was a 4wd truck that saw something other than pavement a lot, I could see that being a concern. Seeing as its just a lowly 2wd, I would think it would not get in to a lot of situations that would cause it to flex out like that.

If its an issue then I'll say you told me so and post pics of my crunched up fenders :lol:
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body