captains chairs questions

both inside and out

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

captains chairs questions

Postby slow_90firebird » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey guys few quick questions. I know someone who was thinking about selling me a set of factory 93 captains chair buckets, and the center console, for $200. They are pretty mint except the driver seat has a tear on the side where you get in (probably normal). Huge bonus is that they are identical color and material to my bench.

What I need to know is that if i get the seats and all the bracketry to install them, will they bolt right in to the holes from my factory bench? Or is there some drilling and fab required?

Also, is there anything else that I should grab that I would need for the conversion? I think the seatbelts should be the same, right?

Fianlly, the biggest reason i want to loose the bench is because it is sooo bouncy. I am assuming the buckets are better? For every 1 bump i hit now it seems like i bounce in the seat 5 times. Its like an old mattress with springs inside. I probably wont buy the captains chairs if they are just as buncy or worse.

I also gotta call a local upholstry place and see how much they would want to sew up the tear... doesent need to be mint, just presentable.

Thanks
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Re: captains chairs questions

Postby PJ 3 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:47 am

Pete

1992 W250
PJ 3
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 am

I got them in my truck. They're not bouncy at all and fit your back. They'll ride nice for you.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Better get the belts to be on the safe side. I know the belts are different from a bench seat to RC buckets, the plastic that holds them up is twisted on the bench.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 am

ok cool il have to make sure all the belts are there then thats good to know. He said if I buy the seats for that much i can basically take whatever I need from the interior, so I might snag the headliner too and try recovering it myself.

So does anyone know if they will bolt in to the stock locations? I really dont want to make a whole bracket like he did in that link to put 2nd gen seats in...
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Driver's side outboard should bolt up directly. You'll have to drill a few holes for the inboard holes on the pedestal, along with getting the piece that goes under the cab. Or, if you have an anvil and forge, you can get a piece of C-shannel and bend it to fit the contours of the cab floor.

For the passenger side, you will have to drill holes for the flip up hinge, along with instaling the bracket in the rear to hold the seat down.

I have a complete set of seats and brackets in my basement. But, the International 8400 (8600? the real sloped nose trucks) trucks I drive are so badly designed in terms of interior ergonomics, that my worn out 18 year old seat is SOOOO much more comfortable after 5-15hrs in the IH, I havent gotten around to it. Not to mention that the IH trucks make you feel like you've been riding an NFR bronc up the interstate, and your ears buzz from the wind and engine noise, my Dodge feels like a Cadillac or Lincoln.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Ok guys got the seats home and sewed the tears in the driver seat (seat is in rough shape but every car I have driven to work, the driver seat gets trashed because I am in a shop all day). passenger seat is mint.

I was cleaining them up a little in my basement before I get ready to do the swap... and noticed there is a little spring under the passenger seat that seems to be free hanging. It seems like it needs to go somewhere to make the latch release work better...

Here is a picture. If anyone with these seats could describe where it goes, or even get me a pic, that would be awesome! I want to get these seats in soon.

slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby slow_90firebird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Well after looking more closely at it, i figured out that lever in the back is broken, so I just took it out all together... i will have to rely on the side release to flip the seat forward...
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Body