water overflow tank and plumbing ?

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

water overflow tank and plumbing ?

Postby jethro » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 am

I have gotten my upper and lower rad hoses/pipes made. Now I have to figure out what I need
on the overflow tank.
I am using the truck's radiator (2004 6.0 ford diesel)
The ford radiator how ever has no radiator cap fitted to it. I have the old ford overflow tank but I now see
that the output port on the bottom points onto my intercooler pipe- so I cant fit a hose onto it. this means I will
have to use some other tank. I see some of the guys are using a gasser f-250/350 tank which mounts on the
side of the radiator shroud.

My question is ---- since there is no radiator cap- does the tank need a pressurized cap? and if
so- it would appear that the plumbing for it would be different than a simple overflow tank which is fed from the
small barb under the rad cap........

Or- do I add a pressurized radiator cap and neck into the upper radiator hose ????? and use the barb under the cap to run
to a standard overflow tank----

What do I do ?????? kind of lost here !
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: water overflow tank and plumbing ?

Postby ellis93 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:02 am

Yes.....you'll need to have a pressure cap. Most all recovery tanks feed the lower rad hose and burp air from the top of the rad and from the highest point of the motor....by way of some 1/4 or 5/16 hose. I'd rig it the same.
Just using the upper hose with one of those universal fills may hamper getting all the air out of the engine....idk.

99,2000,1,2 Ford Taurus cars use one that sets kinda flat and the big outlet points straight out the side. That may get it to set on the finder well easy.....check those out.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Re: water overflow tank and plumbing ?

Postby jethro » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:26 pm

I gave up on trying to mount an alternate tank. I went through every one dorman made- and every one was too big to fit
in my available space. I ended up just re-making my drivers side intercooler pipe. I removed the big cast 90 degree dodge
intake neck and made a new one which brings it out at a 45 degree clock position avoiding the stock tank outlet. Worked fine.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Conversions & Builds