franken-ford runs and drives today !

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

franken-ford runs and drives today !

Postby jethro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Got the wires hooked up - got the engine primed, got the head pipe on (so the exhaust doesn't catch the body on fire :D
Had real problems getting the fuel system primed, worked on it for an hour and couldn't get a drop of fuel to come through-
then I remembered to hook up that little wire on the fuel solenoid----- then it started on the first rotation and idled perfectly !
(say DUUHHHH.... :lol: )
cant believe how smooth it is inside the cab. Cant even feel its running. The motor runs as smooth as silk !
It has a 6 speed manual with high and low range. Tried low range 1-st. It is about 1 foot in 3 or 4 seconds !
Even high range first seems like it may be too low to start off in traffic. 2-nd might be OK ????
Only drove it around the yard so far as I don't have the power steering up yet- pretty hard steering with 31 inchers and no ps. I am hoping it is just air in the lines. going to jack up the front tomorrow and exercise the PS to see.
Will try to post some pick if I can remember my password to the photobucket site.....
Clutch seems to work fine (my first clutch install)
Tranny (somewhere)makes a little noise when I engage the front drive shaft.... may have an issue there.... to sort out later.
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: franken-ford runs and drives today !

Postby Gots_a_sol » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:48 pm

Congrats! Definitely get some pics up if you can.

When my drivetrain was in my dodge, I pretty much only ever used 1st when towing, starting from a steep incline, or idling through a parking lot/field. For everything else, just take off in 2nd.
Last edited by Gots_a_sol on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:29 pm

I believe my f-350 came from a dealership in Charles town. I am 3-rd owner.
must have not stayed there long- no rust underneath.

I passed through there once in college going from Orlando to lewis research center in ohio. Looked like a nice small town.
I remember all of the ancient coal mine openings with railroad track stubs sticking out ! What a strange site !

Might even be able to start out in 3-rd ! Will find out when I get the brakes bled all the way and PS working.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Good job Tim!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Test drove it a little yesterday and today.
Don't have any power steering or power brakes yet. Not sure why. Had the pump off and took it all apart and cleaned
everything. Had to take it apart to add another return barb on the tank body. Noticed a little leakage around the tank O-ring.
I cant hear the pump making any noise like you would expect.... Going to jack up font axle and exercise the steering to see if it could be air bubbles. Not sure how to do a pressure test of the pump- plumb a hydraulic gage in line ?
Could the valve on the bottom of the steering column be stuck ? (not valving the fluid)
Also - the fluid goes to the hydro-boost before it goes to steering- so if the hydro-boost was blocked or frozen internaly
I would think that could block fluid flow. I could remove the return line and see if fluid is exiting-
both the hydro and the steering have returns so I could do each separately.

Also I was noticing the transmission function. I have a little "spinning" noise when I am in gear. It sounds like something
free wheeling being driven by the parts which are supposed to be going round. The fluid may be low --- so since It could
be really old I will just drain it and refill with new fluid and see if that changes anything.

I have read that a single mass clutch can make a noise but Im not sure if this could be it. Noise starts as I push the shifter into 1-st but clutch not let out. Getting some while moving forward in 1-st.

Not going to get too worried yet until I get new fluid in it and make sure its full.
One problem at a time.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Found the problem with the no-ps and no brakes-
Tested the pump with hyd. gage. NO pressure at all- also noticed tank was leaking around the big outer case O-Ring.
Took pump off. WOOOOOOOOWWW
Pulled off the tank- noticed the big snap ring was off- and the dish shaped back plate was blown out of its nest.
Looked like signs of an overpressure. Dint see anything obvious strange in the core and vanes. The new vanes were rounded on both ends as I remember so (I guess) to prevent installing them backwards. Looked closer at the shuttle spool. Thought I had read that there were springs on both sides- but google revealed only the one behind the spool. Then I got to looking at the spool.
Only NOW did I start to notice and realize that the end of the spool has a tiny fine screen on the end. It was COMPLETELY
covered in black gook. Couldn't even see the screen. Took a half hour of gently cleaning to even see 50 percent of it. Finally with carb
cleaner and a stainless tooth brush I got it completely spotless and open. Put the whole thing back together- and shizammmmm
I got power steering and power brakes !
I guess with the screen 100% blocked the pump couldn't regulate and it must have firewalled the pressure.
I may change the fluid a couple more times in case there might be gook in the steering gear or the hydroboost.
Yeayyyyy another problem fixed.
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:29 am

Good deal 8)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Conversions & Builds