pics of the Fummins flatbed- all most done

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

pics of the Fummins flatbed- all most done

Postby jethro » Tue May 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Here are some pics- only a few last things to do to it-
head retorque- tag lights- spare tire elevator- cutting hitch off bed- maybe a light bar above the cab-
maybe boost and egt- havnt done tack yet- (yet to be Re-engineered-)
and any more custom things I can think of that might be functional-
Going to try pics now if I can remember how to use photobucket--- :x

Here you see the effects of stock springs now- no ladder needed- may replace the hangers too with stock in the future-

OK- you have to copy and paset the data called "direct" on the possibilities at photobook------ was it a secret ?
seems to contradict what the sticky said (?)

this is motor as I bought it- only 50K miles but rattle-canned nasty flat black (in the dirt)

this is on the engine stand - lots of things freshened up- and old paint off - new on

[img]http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/vampsqu/1101042234_zpse4a9c012.jpg
[/img]

made a new shroud out of 3/32 aluminum- square pyramid cut into 4 quadrants

welded up air pipes- never figured out how to describe proper curve shape for a cnc bender- so i just
did the cut and paste method.....

another try at the pic of engine on stand----

here it is when I started - thinking- not sure if I can do this- dont know what the crap im doing !!!!!
It was lifted about 10 inches with huge arched springs, tall hangers and 35 inch toyo's - had to have
a small ladder to get into it ! (about 175K on chassis )

A BIG HEAVY engine gentely going in- that was the "easy" part. getting the 8 foot long tranny in with only
1 small transmission jack- to plug into the clutch disk- that was the HARD part- took about 4 days to get
it in the hole properly- (lots of cussing at ford engineers)

this is the lower water "hose" i made from 2 inch stainless tube. Never could see a reasonable way
to do it using regular rubber hoses..... this seemed to work pretty good....

Now that I have figured out how to do the pictyures- i will take a couple of the engine compartment
(if anyone wants to see that part)

Your encouragement has kept me going when i wasnt sure what to do next !

All the stuff I had to repair on the chassis was the harder part-- the conversion its self was fairly easy !
i thought i was done once but discovered the rear end had been full of water for Lord knows how long-
so i took it out and put it up on the engine stand and did everything including a detroit true-track diff.
Have to change the oil in it once it is broke in and I have worn off the phosphating off the gear teeth.....
It has 9 miles on it so far (all in the yard)

thanks- Tim B.
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: pics of the Fummins flatbed- all most done

Postby PToombs » Wed May 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Looks good Tim! It's been a long road hasn't it? I don't think I'll do a frame off restoration or conversion again, not enough time and then no motivation to finish when I get 1/2 way thru.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed May 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks PT !
It wasnt really that bad --- I grew up restoring antique cars - mostly ground up perfection type stuff-
so this wasnt nearly as huge as one of those-
I guess it shows how when the chassiss get to 200,000 mikes a lot of things are ready for the trash can.........
I am quite happy how the motor works...

I would be happy to do another one if I had the money for all the parts ....
just before i bought the f-350 I all most bought a 48 ford F-7 ex-firetruck - rustfree.
It had a small modern V-8 and auto tranny. The owner used it to haul his hotrods .......
It would have made a dandy conversion i think ------

here----

Thanks--- Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Gots_a_sol » Thu May 26, 2016 2:04 pm

That is pretty close to how I did my lower "hose" also.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

I have my grandfathers '53 ford F600 dump truck with the flathead V-8 in it, 106 horses of pure power! :lol: It's what I learned to drive on when I was 12. I'd like to put a flatbed on it and stuff in a Cummins with the Getrag, then use it to pull my antique tractors to shows. Sadly, it's getting really rusty and I don't have the time or money to restore it. :(
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 pm

had an uncle that had a 47 model ford 1.5 or 2 ton. he drove it regularly up till about 2000. he sold it to one of the cousins who restored it,,,, but i never saw the restoration to see if they did a good job or not. I remember it had pretty rusty running boards
and the lower edges of the front fenders. he had a flat bed to haul heating coal and whatever else he needed to haul.
Used to see those all over where the roadside vendors were selling watermelons. Not so much any more.... (sadly)

I never could find rubber hoses that looked like they might work because the off twists and turns that seem to be needed
to fit under there......

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Conversions & Builds