92 D350 auto to W350 Getrag conversion & electric LP

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

92 D350 auto to W350 Getrag conversion & electric LP

Postby liftarc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 pm

A few months ago my IP front seal went out puking fuel into my crankcase. While fixing that I found loose fasteners and leaking fluids all over. Truck was a recent purchase that needed lots of work so I parked it and decided to get as much done in one shot as time and budget would allow. Roughly half a year later this is what I've done:

homemade 1/2" stainless drawstraw
-6 teflon fuel hose with -6AN fittings
40 micron prefilter
Walbro 392 electric LP
Napa 4770 filter heads
Cat water separator and 2 micron filter
Fuelab bypass fuel pressure regulator
Valair 13" organic HD clutch
Getrag 360 rebuilt with new input shaft, bearings, synchros
NP205 not rebuilt now, just cleaned up and painted
4X4 crossmember installed with grade 8 hardware
rear driveshaft rebuilt and rebalanced
engine resealed and painted
cowl cracks welded up with doubler straps at windshield corners
new windshield and gasket
2003 Chevy Tahoe drivers seat on homemade stainless adapter
Wiring harness repaired and rewrapped
A/C condenser and compressor deleted
external voltage regulator to bypass pcm
24" Delta underbed boxes, fuel supply system mounted in driver side box
homemade 4" stainless downpipe
all new hoses, belt, fluids
and I finally yanked the ridiculous 300lb front bumper off

For the fuel system, I ran a new line off the drawstraw for supply, regulator bypass ties into stock supply line, and stock return is unmolested. LP power is run through a 15 amp fuse and then a 22 amp relay triggered by a switch in the cab. My clutch hydraulics have been sitting in my garage for almost the entire five years I've been accumulating these parts so time will tell how it holds up but it works well. Had to install 6" lift blocks in rear for the driveshaft to fit so the truck has some stupid rake now until the SAS is done up front. Still need longer shocks and to reattach airbags to spring packs.

Future plans include

homemade front bumper with winch mount and stinger
homemade flatbed for SWR width - thinking stainless and aluminum frame, wood deck
rebuild and install front D60
reseal and install SRW D70
new 35" tires on 16" alloys
complete 4" stainless exhaust
12cm H1CW to swap in, may go directly to HX35 though
need to look into injectors and IC upgrade, not sure which direction to go

And that last item brings me to the fact that I'm building for reliability, mileage and power in that order. This truck is never going to haul 10K lb plus cross country but will be racking up about 40K miles per year plus as my travel rig for work. My Ramcharger desperately needs to be parked and worked on for a while before it goes completely to sthi and I expect to be hauling tools, materials, firewood, etc with this one way more often.

Always open to comments and suggestions, especially on parts selection/tuning for mileage.

I cant find my phone at the moment so Ill have to add pictures later when I find it.
92 D350 club cab flatbed dually-201k G360, NP205,D60 swap soon
92 Ramcharger 5.9 Magnum, 46rh, NP241-238k
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 92 D350 auto to W350 Getrag conversion & electric LP

Postby liftarc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:26 pm

These are the pictures that Ive already uploaded to photobucket

liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby liftarc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm using 4"x.065" wall 304 stainless tubing for my exhaust, I got it free at work. I cheaped out on the v band flange and tried making one from a 2.5" tri-clover cap, almost works but the clamp doesn't quite get tight enough. I'll have to rework that later. For the reducer I took some tube and made an orange peel reducer with 12 fingers. I'm working on the offset around the t-case then I'll run the tubing behind the axle. No plans for a muffler yet, hoping a full length exhaust pipe will be enough. I'll probably have to add a heat shield by the hvac unit too.

orange peel reducer:

downpipe with temporary 90 elbow dump behind pass tire:

in the truck:
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby liftarc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:08 pm

I've been driving the truck all week, fuel is no longer leaking into the crankcase. Mileage is way up, haven't filled up again to do the math yet. Power is noticeably increased after stopping the leak at the ip and giving it 15psi. I still have a laundry list of crap to do but its good to have it on the road again. I have a few issues I need to address as priorities, mostly because they're bugging the sthi out of me - cold start smoke, clutch and voltage regulator.

On cold startup before my ip seal went out it hardly made the common black puff, hazed a bit till warm and almost no visible smoke when you stepped on it. Now it blows a big puff of bluish white on startup, smokes bluish white at idle till its warm, and will smoke black for a second when you step on it. I'm worried the increase in cold smoke and the color may be because of internal damage caused by driving the truck a couple weeks before I learned the ip seal was blown out. Another idea I had is maybe I need to time the pump. It was bumped 1/8" past the mark on the timing case when I got it. My goal has been to fix things while not modifying beyond fuel delivery for now so I put it back on the mark when I reassembled. I'm wondering if I need to more accurately time the pump also.

The clutch issue seems to be in the hydraulics, but I'm not sure. I automatically suspect those parts since they're used parts that were left lying around in a box for almost five years. Trans is often hard to get into gear, random in all gears. Clutch grabs the nanosecond you let up on the pedal and the pedal has a half inch or so of freeplay when up. Doesn't grind or make noise.

I bypassed the voltage reg in the pcm shortly after buying the truck when it quit charging. I'm running a BWD part# R296, plain old Dodge style regulator. My voltage pulses a few times a second making my lights also pulse in brightness while engine idles. Off idle the voltage is steady. I have the voltage regulator case grounded, so now I'm trying to figure out if there's something else causing it or if there's something I can do to fix it.

I'll be spending tomorrow morning working on it, got a second fuel leak where the gauge is screwed into the regulator and I need to get more exhaust built because its too loud in the cab.
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:28 am

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would bump the pump the 1/8, that should help the smoke.
As for the clutch, check the bushing and pin for wear where the pedal attaches to the master cylinder rod to start. It sounds like it's ok from what you describe, but free play there will cause your symptoms. Then either bleed it or try to lengthen the rod. It sounds like the clutch isn't going quite far enough to release.
A relay in the regulator circuit may fix the charging problems also. I have seen a lot of posts where the regulator doesn't see full battery voltage so it over charges or goes on and off erratically causing the flickers. There are posts on here telling how to do it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 9312v » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 pm

What industry are you in if you don't mind me asking? That down pipe looks real good along with the welds.

On the clutch I agree with PT, sounds like an adjustment/ slop issue. You have a single disc, correct?
93 w250, 366 spring, BD pin, 5x12 Injectors from Eric, nv4500, super B, high volume low pressure LP, PS I/C
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Postby liftarc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:58 pm

I got the new shocks on the rear, fixed my fuel leak, started running exhaust back and after cutting what I had welded up realized I'm out of argon. I have it tacked up to behind the t-case, will probably have to weld out Monday night.

I then jumped on the wiring, had to put signal voltage to my fuel pump relay on ignition switched source after leaving the pump on all day. Also started adding a relay to the regulator circuit as PToombs suggested. I got sidetracked mid day so I'll wrap that up in the morning.

9312v, thank you, I weld and fit sanitary process piping. Almost all stainless and almost all tig so its great work. Yes, single disc organic clutch.
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 9312v » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Food process or pharma? I used to do beer systems myself. It's nice to see some good welds on these old trucks.
93 w250, 366 spring, BD pin, 5x12 Injectors from Eric, nv4500, super B, high volume low pressure LP, PS I/C
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Postby liftarc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Got the relays finished today, relay in the charging circuit didn't change much. I have ignition switched voltage from backup lights fuse turning relay on with load side of relay giving regulator battery voltage, all 10g wires on load side. Voltage and lights still pulse though not as much and it is instantly steady off throttle. I can live with it as is.

Timing advance helped a lot with smoke, throttle seems more responsive and doesn't want to lug starting in second at all anymore. Good call there PToombs, thank you.

Didn't get to the clutch this weekend. Stock exhaust is back in till I get argon and a 4" v band assembly.

9312v, I do food, dairy, pharma, breweries - anything stainless. Working at Sierra Nevada in Chico right now though this job is Victaulic water mains. We installed their new hop strainer/hopback system in the west brewhouse earlier this year and demo'ed the existing stuff the following month. If I can ever get this truck wrapped up my next project is a 3-tier homebrew setup.
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm

No problem man, You're Welcome! 8)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby liftarc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 am

Something is making noise after bumping the timing. I went an 1/8" past the mark on the timing case. Everything is fastened down well.

I thought I heard the noise Sunday night when I turned the pump but Im moderately hearing impaired and don't rely on my ears. A coworker asked and had a listen.

The sound is hard to describe like pieces hitting inside, not a tap or a knock but like a thud with friction. It is clearly audible (with two good ears) at idle, I can hear it while driving, gets faster with endine and louder with more load and throttle. I've never heard it make this noise till Sunday night.

I've been wrenching for years but I'm obviously still learning diesels and I don't know what this is.
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Ignition rattle is a constant rattle but does get louder as rpms go up.
Do you have a piston lift pump? They make a knocking noise, mine seems to come and go. It may just be me, sometimes I notice and sometimes not.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby liftarc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:26 am

I have an electric lift pump. Last night the rattle noise got really damn loud so I looked around and found the nameplate on the valve covers had come loose, I didnt use threadlocker there. Deleted that piece immediately. The tap or knock sound is still there, odd how it seemed in perfect time with the rattle. Made a really misleading sound. So now I'm trying to determine if its injector, valvetrain or bottom end. Like I said Im hearing impaired and I cant reason taking it to a shop just for a listen. To compare it to a gasser It sounds like a valve tap over top of a rod knock, both sounds in time with each other.

Also what causes ignition rattle is that timing or bad injectors or something else?
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Ignition rattle is from the timing being advanced so far it fires before the piston is high enough. Just like spark knock in a gasser. Advanced timing rattle at low RPM can be ok at high RPM because everything is moving faster. I looked back thru, stock injectors right? Could be one getting bad causing the knock. You need another set of ears to help locate it. Crack injectors loose 1 at a time to see if the noise goes away, that should narrow down the cylinder. Then you need to find if it's a physical knock like a rod bearing or a fuel knock like a bad injector or pump.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby liftarc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

I ran Diesel Purge through it tonight. Let the lift pump draw it from a jar and I had the engine return dumping in the jar but forgot about the regulator bypass so most of the three cans went into a little less than the quarter tank of fuel in the truck. I drove it down to town and back, few miles, and it was noticeably quieter, knock pretty much gone. I'll have the guys at work listen tomorrow. This has me thinking injectors, which were on my list for the near future anyway, so now I'm reading up on options and pricing. I've read the DDP stage 1's run clean and give an extra mpg or two but they are expensive. Are there cheaper equivalents? I have stock injectors now, probably original to the truck.
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Conversions & Builds