1978 Dodge Carhauler, facelift and re-power.

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby Fastback66 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:If I could have found a decent '79 grille and core support, it would have really gotten some interest with "CUMMINS" all over it.

If you would of asked, you could have received. I just so happen to have 2 quad headlight supports and 1 really nice grille and the other is a little beat up. Might be stumbling upon another in the near future too and another crew cab long box 2wd. Just what I need.

Vinny
78 D-200 Crew cab LWB converted to 4wd then converted to Diesel. 366 spring, custom pin, timing to head and pump tweaked.
75 W-100 SWB step side under construction. Soon to be 318 magnum/518 auto.
66 Charger 383/auto
71 Chrysler Newport hardtop 4dr. 360/727. Need drivers side body panels if ya got some.
Fastback66
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:23 am

I got confused when you said you were installing the front drive shaft, now i know it was the front half of the back shaft, :roll: man that would look sweet with a 68 R/T hemi 4spd charger on it, am i right. ;)
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:33 am

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:I got confused when you said you were installing the front drive shaft, now i know it was the front half of the back shaft, :roll:....

Well, no, it was the 1st QUARTER of the driveshaft, it's 4 sections.

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:.....man that would look sweet with a 68 R/T hemi 4spd charger on it, am i right. ;)

Then add to that the camper/hauler trailer with a '70 R/T Challenger on the rear space, and it couldn't be ignored.

DOT would stop me just to LOOK. :(

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:46 am

Me and the wife were goin somewhere east of here last summer and the mopar nats were goin on and there were lots of cool old carhaulers with alot of factory lightweight mid-late 60's mopars goin to the strip, that my friend is very cool ;) i just cant afford any of that. :cry:
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:15 pm

The cost is most of why I hardly mess with the old cars anymore, that and the whiney butt restore-it-or-it's-worthless nuts, or the super sanitary dragracer types. Hardly ever see an old Mope that looks like some of our trucks, beat, odd-colored, rusty, but moving.
I'm not against a nice ride, but there's usually a stuck-up attitude to go with it.

It's quite a bit cheaper to play around with 1st Gen Cummins stuff than 318 'A' bodies, especially when you can buy a running truck for $600, stuff the engine in a project and it doesn't NEED rebuilt, runs like a watch and will pull the ass from under any Hemi-powered vehicle and get more than 5 mpg doing it.

Plain and ruthless.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:03 pm

These words are very true, my cousin had a 68 R/T charger 440 magnum many years ago :? mostly stock with exception of a cam and a couple of other things and he got 5mpg and that thing ran hot most of the time, kinda took the cool factor away with steam rollin out of it,
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

I DROVE IT, I DROVE IT!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Got the coolant in it, exhaust and (non-intercooled) intake systems on it, speedo hooked up, power steering topped of and once everything settled in, drove it across the yard, unloaded the extra junk off the bed.
THEN I took it for an in-city mile long drive, and the speedo works, even ticks off tenths.
Oh my, that Cummins moves a 7500 pound truck around like it's a tinker toy!

Drove it back home plucked an old '93 cab out of the tree and stripped most of the interior to get the carpet out of it.

After I get back from shipping 4 or 5 packages to-morrow, I will try to finish getting the carpet cleaned up and put in, then sort out the taillight wiring.

It just keeps getting better! :D

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:26 pm

So how did it do on the trip? All nice and smooth, no problems? What did you get for mileage?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

It got 13mpg no load, 9mpg pushing a head wind, grossing just under 16,000 pounds, with a fully dressed '93 E/C Dually on board.
Not the worse for 4.56s, but MPH was 65, 60 felt better.
This is a STONE STOCK 1-owner, never turned, never tweaked non-intercooled engine and it's 10 times the set-up it was with the gasser 360.

The only issues were, one, my winch battery cable rubbed through and was causing the charging system to go haywire to the point it caused 1 battery to overcharge.
Not sure how or why on that one.

The other issue was a bad core support ground that made the temp and oil pressure guages rise when the park lamps were on, not to mention be totally wrong when driving. :x
The problem revealed itself clearer in fixing the winch issue, so I cleaned the connection and re-tightened it, now no funky guage readings!

Still have a lot of external add-on lighting to get done and re-worked, along with the dual pipes, intercool it, tweak the pump, bump timing, oh yeah and...
CHANGE THE REAR END GEARING!!!

All in all, not a bad 2500 mile shakedown trip, and I even got to rest comfortably in "The Box" for a few nights. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Not bad at all. 8) 4.11's will help a lot I'm sure. If you're going to add more lights, make sure they're on a relay so you don't burn up your switch. I'm sure you already knew that, but figured a reminder never hurts. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:59 am

I was thinking of 3.54s, but not sure they are practical, as past experience with a loaded truck has shown a NECESSITY to gear down to 4th for mileage considerations, even in flat areas.
5th with a load, or head wind, just uses too much fuel with 3.54s.
3.73s seem a fair compromise, but also aren't easy to come by and way spendy for a new ring and pinion.
4.10s still spin it just a touch too hard at 70 mph, though if I'd kept my 19.5s, :roll: that would have been the ideal set-up.

I was considering all LED lights if I did more than the basic front-rear-midline lighting, because they are a lower amp load and more visible.

So many ideas, so few parts to move for cash to implement the ideas. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ADMOPARMAN » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 am

I feel your "out door pain". I'm just about finished up with my Crew Cabs 4x4 conversion, at least you have a concrete pad to work on... I'm in the gravel.

You should stop by sometime if your in town on the weekend!!
ADMOPARMAN
smoke screw?

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:03 am

At least you have a "proper" places to store some of it, it's either in old junk cabs or a camper trailer for me.
A small semi trailer or shed would do me an immense amount of good for trim and engine stuff, especially since the neighbors are so nosey when noone's around.

I should stop in, if only get a starter core from ya'.

Ventured out with the hauler yesterday to acquire a damaged dually bed and other parts.
It sings a good tune, but the radio drowns it out. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby ADMOPARMAN » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:At least you have a "proper" places to store some of it, it's either in old junk cabs or a camper trailer for me.
A small semi trailer or shed would do me an immense amount of good for trim and engine stuff, especially since the neighbors are so nosey when noone's around.

Mark.

Well unfortunately someone stole my 4x7 drop gate utility trailer from that very spot a few weekends ago... They better hope the cops catch em first.
:evil:
ADMOPARMAN
smoke screw?

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:14 pm

I keep the grass tall in the summer and leave little surprises in it so snoopers don't come back.
A simple "forgotten" tire and wheel tends to make a difference, especially if a would-be thief trips over it when he's already not supposed to be there.

Most people who steal hate to work to do it.
Wading through tall grass to do it makes them think, plus most people generally aren't excited to see snakes, either.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Previous

Return to Conversions & Builds