1978 Dodge Carhauler, facelift and re-power.

Cummins Conversion & Builds

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

1978 Dodge Carhauler, facelift and re-power.

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:15 pm

{edit}
Removed pic links.
{end}

I'll create another post later on outlining some of the goods used and some of the modifications that were done.

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Nixon on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Nixon

Postby ahale2772 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:50 pm

NICE!!
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Here's a rundown of some of the components used, with a good deal of parts from vehicles in the CARS program.

Totally bare and very clean '93 extended cab, traded from a local guy.

Very clean & super straight, low miles doors from an '85 CARS 1/2 ton.

Equally straight and clean fenders from another '85 CARS 1/2 ton.

Grille, Dash frame and windshield from a 1992 CARS 1/2 ton.

Dash wiring is from a '93 extended cab I parted out earlier this year.

HVAC assembly from the same '93 above.

1991 non-intercooled wiring harness, had to totally take apart to repair cut ends correctly, lots of painstaking care and attention in this piece.

Core support from "Old Smokey", a burned '91 Intercooled 1 ton.

Non-Intercooled '90 Cummins engine w/just over 200,000 miles, got the 1 ton it was in from the original owner and actually have the speedo cluster from it in the hauler now.

NV4500 5 speed, this a '93 gasser "light duty" version with the diesel input upgrade, intentions are to update and upgrade an identical one I have to the fully splined mainshaft for diesel specs at a later date.

Bucket seat/console set-up, a very nice piece I acquired reasonably from a '79 W-150, hard to find and VERY comfortable.

Steering column is a '91 tilt with manual transmission, I added the cruise switches and clockspring.
I looked hi and low to get the clock spring and switch bar, because I believe it to be a much cleaner and less conspicuous set-up for cruise.
The clockspring for this is '91 only, but the '92-'93 dash harnesses plug into it, the switch plug for the cruise control is the difference.

Hood and cowl support are true blue originals to the truck, a 1978.
On the hood, I had to move the latch loop to the passengeer's side about an inch and re-drill holes, the safety latch was already correctly placed and was not modified.
The hood latch mechanism had to be shimmed about an 1/8th inch and bent forward about a 1/4 inch to latch properly.
I also had to cut the substructure to allow the intercooled top shroud brackets and radiator cap to clear it.
It's interesting to note that the raised portion between the 2 "birdbath" indents, the center of the hood, lines up perfectly with the non-intercooled Cummins turbo crossover.

Lots more to get done.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby burnt_servo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 am

how does the older hood line up with the newer fenders ?

when i finally get my truck together i'm thinking about using a '77 hood .
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 am

The older hood lines up fine, they adjust the same as any other hood.
Mine has a larger than normal gap at the back, but I think it's because I may have it a bit further forward than necessary.
I now realize that these hoods were designed to have front clearance for accessory mounts, so they sit back just a bit from the grille.
At least, that's the reasoning I'm using, and there's holes on the underside of the front lip to support the reasoning.
In short, I need to slide the hood back 1/4 inch.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby CE_TX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Nice work Mark, it's going to be an awesome rig when your done.
1985 Dodge W350 Crew Cab with 1992 Cummins drivetrain---undergoing frame off restoration.
CE_TX
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:11 am

Been making very slow progress due to having to go into town every day.
Spent 2 warm days pulling parts and running, while the hauler just sits. :(

After having mixed feelings about the fuel system, I ended up NOT replacing the fuel tanks, but re-plumbing them instead.
I'm not a plumber or electrician, but I feel like a bit of both, the hauler is so long, (17 and a half foot wheelbase, baby!!!) it's like plumbing and wiring a house!!!
The worst is having to do fuel supply AND returns.

It ain't cheap, neither. :(

All that being said, I did manage to get the supply and return lines all ran up to the switching valve, now I need to come up with 18 feet of both 5/16" (return) and 3/8" (supply) steel fuel line for the engine side of the valve, both return and supply.

FYI, the truck is just under 30 feet long.
Of that @ 20 feet of it is fuel line, it's not something you can safely do with rubber lines, (That's what I am removing!) plus rubber lines that long decrease vacuum pressure with flexing, causing fuel supply issues.

Still a long road ahead, but it's closer to actually running. :?

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Raymo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 am

That seat looks comfy, but I couldn't personaly do vynil on a long, hot day road trip... Unless I take a change of clothes lol :lol: :shock: Looks good tho!
'94 Chevy 3500-HD cab and chassis- IC Cummins, Getrag, NP205. 60 front, 80 rear- 4.10's.
Raymo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Raymo wrote:That seat looks comfy, but I couldn't personaly do vynil on a long, hot day road trip... Unless I take a change of clothes lol :lol: :shock: Looks good tho!

Thanks!!!

AH, but that's why I'm taking pains to try to make the A/C work.
Admittedly, I'm going to get the driver's seat fixed where it's torn then they will get fabric slip covers on them.
Vinyl, black, and sun don't mix with swim trunks on a long cruise. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, after installing the front driveshaft, adding fuel to both tanks, installing the clutch hydros and shifter....
IT FINALLY MOVES UNDER CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL POWER!!!

Now for the nagging, piddly little shti.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Raymo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Ah the point in the project I like to call "The Last FEW Loose Ends". But hearing of yours moving is getting me pumped to keep pluggin at my own! And I'm glad you kept the Birdbath, gives that giant metal slab some style :grin:
'94 Chevy 3500-HD cab and chassis- IC Cummins, Getrag, NP205. 60 front, 80 rear- 4.10's.
Raymo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Yeah, I like the birdbath hood alot,but I also wanted to be able to still call it a '78 and not have people look at me like I'm crazy.
If I could have found a decent '79 grille and core support, it would have really gotten some interest with "CUMMINS" all over it.

All I know is YOU have a very aggressive project going on there, and I could only dream of having a nice (or even not-so-nice) indoor place to do this stuff in.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby dieseljack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Now that's what I call love. its come along way mark looks good. Jack
1991 w250 rebuilt auto 170xxx Straight 4" turbo back dennyt stage2 fuel pin pump turned up 1/4 from bad new era 370s
dieseljack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Hey Mark i have a 30x40 pollbarn concrete floor jib 2 ton hoist hot water and all the good stuff and i get burnt out on tractor restorations, you must have a freakin boat load of gumption, I wish i had more of that nice job, did i understand you right is that sucker a 4x4 :shock: :shock:
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:01 pm

NOT a 4x4.
The thought HAD occured to me, it looks simple enough to change over. ;)

The gumption comes slowly, if I had a real place inside to do it, you'd probably be seeing some intriguing stuff done.

A few years ago I put a 360 Magnum into a '68 Dart 2 door Sedan...WITH THE STOCK EFI and a 4 speed. Adapted all of the original '68 guages over and used the original fuel tank.
To look at it, it looked like a simple add-on deal.
This isn't my first rodeo on a pre-'80s-'90s Cummins swap, either.

Did a '74 C&C W/A Cummins-getrag conversion back in '05.
That one got me in a bit of hot water. Hauled a 3-4 car grossing over 27,000 pounds and got busted for no CDL.
Tore up 2 'Raggeys in that one, before I knew better.
Tells you something when you can take a stone dead, STOCK, 1st gen Cummins with 4.10 gears, loaded over 27,000 pounds, idling and it takes the whole load across the parking lot from a dead stop, just let out the clutch.
It convinced me without a doubt that little 5.9 Cummins is good!

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Next

Return to Conversions & Builds