Thoughts on trading my first gen for a 2nd gen?

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

Thoughts on trading my first gen for a 2nd gen?

Postby 4x4 American » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm

My 89 w250 was hit by a plow truck and is considered a "total loss" to the insurance company...my truck crumpled the whole front end of the 04 superduty that hit me. nonetheless, my first gen is still in pretty rough shape. If i were to keep my truck I'd have to replace the bumper, the box, and straighten the frame. On top of that, the roof leaks when it rains, I can see the ground through the cab of my truck, and the rest of the body is pretty rusted and rotted out. My 727 slips, need it rebuilt, need a new torque converter, the transfer case grinds and pops out of 2wd to 4hi, she's hard to start I think she's sucking air she needs all new fuel conduits, 2/4 tires are really rusty and I need new tires. I love my first gen alot, but it needs alot of time, effort and money. She's my daily driver right now and I drive quite a bit, often times long 5-7 hour drives. I've had her for about 2-3 months and i've put a little bit over 3500 miles on her so far.
It came up today I ran into this guy with a 95 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 P7100 pump 6BT 4 spd auto either 46 re or rh not sure if it has lockup TC or not with 200k miles. This truck has a 5" lift, nice brush guard, gnarly mud tires (back two dont have much tread left but the front two do), 40 horse injectors, fuel plate delete, all new tranny lines, a trans filter kit that puts the tranny filter on the outside of the trans. to make replacing it easy, new stereo deck + sony xplode speakers, black diamond plate bumper, it has a cold air intake, boat hauler stack, new 022 delivery valves that come with it, the guy sanded down the frame and coated it with rhino, he coated the body with rhino, he has 3 brand new gauges in the boxes that come with it also with an a-pillar mount, new rockers that come with it, 4 lights that come with it, the whole front end is pretty much all new, new wheel bearings, new bushings, new track arm, etc. etc... The only thing with it is that to shift from 2 to D you need to rev the truck up. He says that it's because the TPS sensor is prolly bad and the trans dont know when to shift, he said he's going to look into that. he said that if he sold one or two of his cars he has for sale now that he's going to buy a performance transmission for the truck and 100 horse injectors. He says he wants to get rid of it because he's tired of having a lifted truck since he's a short feller so it's hard for him to load it up with firewood or watnot and he wants an ext. cab. I'm a tall feller who wouldn't mind a lifted truck. What do yawl think? I love my first gen but I just don't really have the time and the money to make it how I want it. The guy who I'd be trading it with is a good guy, has been serving in the military driving trucks, and now is going to alfred state college to study diesel mechanics. He has known the history of this truck, his friend's dad bought it new, then sold it to his son, and then his son sold it to him. It's alot for me to think about and I'd like to hear what yawl have to say about it. It's only the 24 valves that I have to worry about having a 53 block right? And does anyone know specifics to check for that the p-pumpers have notorious problems with that I need to check before going through with this?
Thanks, Doug
1989 w250 Cummins Recon Engine, rebuilt 727 torqueflite, BD diesel torque converter, 4" diamond eye turbo back straight pipe side exit, fuel pin turned, starwheel in, smoke screw in, full power fuel screw tweaked a little bit. Black Betty is held together by rust and american pride!
4x4 American
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Thoughts on trading my first gen for a 2nd gen?

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Since he replaced most of the front end stuff, that's the biggest headache solved. Did he put on an original style track bar, or a 3rd gen one? A stock replacement is going to wear out in about 15k miles or so, and you'll be doing it again, especially with a lift. Fuel mileage is going to suck, lifted, bigger DV's, fuel plate delete, gnarly mud tires, and diamond plate bumper. If you can't keep your foot totally out of it mileage will be about 14-15 mpg. The trans may just be the TPS, or it may be an internal problem, hard to say.
The '99 to '02ish trucks had the 53 blocks.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 4x4 American » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

Well, the problem is solved. His OD sthi the bed and now he's going to be ordering a performance transmission and then sell the truck for 10-11 grand is what he told me. Thanks for your input
1989 w250 Cummins Recon Engine, rebuilt 727 torqueflite, BD diesel torque converter, 4" diamond eye turbo back straight pipe side exit, fuel pin turned, starwheel in, smoke screw in, full power fuel screw tweaked a little bit. Black Betty is held together by rust and american pride!
4x4 American
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Look at it this way, you saved the $3-5 grand you would have paid for a trans. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby redneckroot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Where are you from? If it was me, I have come to the conclusion that I no longer want to buy a truck from someone that has done any performance, lift, or plowing with it. My last truck that I bought cost me more then it was worth chasing down someone's cob jobs. That individual was also a diesel mechanic, and everything looked and seemed great when I bought it. 1k miles later it was one thing after another until I decided that it had seen to many ny winters for me to keep throwing time and money at it.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby jcj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:49 pm

PToombs wrote:Look at it this way, you saved the $3-5 grand you would have paid for a trans. ;)

I would have to agree and sometimes these trans can be even more than that, second gen trans are outrageous
jcj
smoke screw?

Postby bmoeller » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 am

OK. Here we go...............

A stock '95 truck, auto-

160hp/400tq.

Non-53 block. A few VERY late ('97/98) 12v had them. Pretty sure the block in my '99 was replaced before I bought the truck.

47RH trans (has a lock up t/c) It is a vacuum actuated trans, with the PCM controlling O/D and lock up only.

Vacuum brake booster, vs the Hydraboost on the '97 and up trucks.

Front end- Were the ball joints replaced with everything else? Truck should have the 3rd gen track bar installed and a steering brace installed. Best money you can spend. Converting the steering from inverted Y to the inverted T steering would be smart too (my '99 has it). How old is the steering box? Is it properly adjusted (easy to do)?

How old are the brake shoes/pads? If you feel you need more stopping power, wheel cylinders from a 1 ton truck will help.

Were the front wheel bearings replaced? If so, how long ago. A plow is hard on ALL the front end parts. It is a sealed and non-serviceable unit. Replace only. Nice thing is, you no longer have to repack wheel bearings. :)

Are the bushing in the trailing arms tights?

Engine-

Replace the 022 DVs with the 181 that came in the later pumps. The 95 has 131s in it originally. 181s still give great power, and MUCH less smoke and lower EGTs than the 191. No real power gain with the 191s. Just more smoke and heat on my previous '97.

Get a #10 plate and stick it in. Great towing plate as well. If the PO didn't scribe any lines from where the old plate sat, make sure to put the new one square to the gov lever arm. With a built trans, you can slide the place and AFC housing full forward and tune the AFC starwheel to control smoke.

What turbo is on it right now? Stock HX35 is going to be on the small side.

Bump the timing to 15-16*. Need timing tools to do it.

Get a BHAF to replace the factory air box, if there isn't already an aftermarket one on there. If it is an oiled k&N, throw it away. They are junk.

A properly tuned P-pump will still get great fuel mileage. My 97 dually (w 4.10s) got a best of 16.1mpg. By the time I got done with it, I was getting almost 18 and went from 180/420 at the crank, to 416/892 to the ground. :D Pulled like a freakin train!
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby bmoeller » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Just noticed someone dug up and old one! :lol: :lol:
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

You needed the practice typing anyways! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Other diesels