Turnin up the p-pump

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

Turnin up the p-pump

Postby 90firstgen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Hey guys. My uncle recently bought a front end loader powered by a p-pumped 5.9 Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to turn it up a little bit? Or a diagram or sticky from somewhere else? I'd ask on DTR but I hardly get a response out of the 2nd gen guys when I ask questions every so often. One more question out of curiosity..... are there seperate aftermarket fuel plates for the different pumps? For example, can you put a 215hp plate in a 180hp stock pump? Hope that makes sense. I'm guessing this is the only difference between the seperate pumps from the factory but I dont know. Thanks everyone
Dan
1990 2x4, 3/4 ton, Getrag, Cummins N/I
3200 Spring
Full Fuel Screw maxed (+/- 4 turns)
Injector rebuild with bigger nozzles
1/8" Timing bump
Airflo Intake
HTT 56mm Compressor
14cm Wastegated Housing
Stan's 4"
90firstgen
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:05 pm

I've had no personal experience with p-pumps myslef, but I hear rumor that you can slide the stock plate, or grind it. I assume it is something like our fuel pin.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby 2muchtq » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 pm

There is an AFC housing toward the rear of the pump on top. About 3" rear of the rear most injector line. This has four bolts holding it on. (Dodge uses a tamper proof bolt that needs a chisel to back off)

You take this housing off... and right below it is the fuel plate. This is held on with two screws.

Take the screws loose... slide the plate forward (toward injector lines) a little. Tighten screws...

You will notice the holes in the AFC housing that you took off earlier are oblong. Start the bolts... slide the housing forward... tighten screws.

To get more 'low end' (read smoke) take the plug out of the top of the AFC housing... then turn the star wheel so it moves forward also.

These are the BASIC adjustments.

If you feel you need more fuel.... move the plate further forward. When that is not enough.... take the plate out, then grind a portion of the plate off to get more fuel. (you will see it. this acts just like the fuel pin on the VE) The more meat missing... the more fuel.

Hope this helps.
Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 90firstgen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Just what I figured. Just didn't know where everything was located. I appreciate the help fellas. 8)
3200 Spring
1/8" Timing bump
Airflo Intake
HTT 56mm Compressor
14cm Wastegated Housing
Stan's 4"
90firstgen
fuel screw!!!!

Postby wannadiesel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Why do you want to turn up a front end loader?
'93 D350 LE Club Cab dually, Getrag, 3.54 Pow-R-Lok with: DPS EDM's, HTT Stage IV/14wg, Con-FE, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, custom fuel pin, Walbro secondary fuel system.

Best dyno: 408/844
wannadiesel
diesel guru

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Be careful! I did that to the p-pumped service truck I drive at work. It runs better, but smokes like a pig! I slid the plate about 1/2 way, and left the housing in the stock position, thinking I could back it off if I didn't like it, and wanted to counter the plate. I turned the star wheel down last summer, that gave me more pull on take off. The plate gave me more power on the hills, but it smokes on take off unless I go easy. :D You don't want to go too far on a loader, they aren't made to take too much more power. :wink:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 90firstgen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Well we're not wanting to crank the pump up a lot. Just add 10 or 20hp so it doesn't bog down so much. Pushing a mountain tends to do that..... Ok a pile of houses from the greensburg tornado. You get the point. Anyway, the uncle has an extra pyro sitting around so we're gonna install that before we touch the fuel. I'll be doing some fine tuning to get the desired smoke level etc. and keep EGT's under control.
3200 Spring
1/8" Timing bump
Airflo Intake
HTT 56mm Compressor
14cm Wastegated Housing
Stan's 4"
90firstgen
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Other diesels