16X6 coined wheels

A place to BS about tools and all that junk

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

16X6 coined wheels

Postby Chip H » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:57 am

My 1993 Dodge D350 DW needs one of the coined wheels for the rear. I have three but need one more to match the wheels together. I think the rear wheels are supposed to have lug nut holes with every other hole is concaved and convex? I will use two tapered lug nuts opposite of each other to get the wheel centered first before tighting the flange lug nuts but why not just use the all tapered lug nuts to be sure the wheel remains centered? I'm asking, but I don't think the concaved and convex lug nut holes in the wheels are required/needed on the front but it would make sense to me to just use all tapered lug nuts? For some reason, three of these wheels do not have the concave and convex lug nut holes in the wheels and the lug nut holes are flush or flat.
Chip H
smoke screw?

Re: 16X6 coined wheels

Postby ihredneck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 am

A few details.

All the OEM dually rims were designed for lug-centric use because of the front axle hub setup.
The rears use the hub to center the rims or are hub-centric and the fronts use the lug nuts to center the rims or are lug-centric.

The OEM lug nuts will all have a concave flange face that will fit to the convex faces of the rim lug nut holes (every other hole). So, to correctly mount them, use at least two lug nuts on the convex faced holes of the rims opposite of each other to center the rim and then add the rest of the lugs. This is most pertinent on the front axle because it is a lug-centric design and not as pertinent on the rear because it is a hub-centric design.

The front hub diameter is smaller than the rear hub diameter.

You are correct that the rims are to have alternating convex/concave holes and that is so the rims will mate together for the rears and also so on they can be used on the front axle in the lug-centric fashion.

I'm not sure I understand all that you are asking and if you are looking for OEM rims / lug nuts or not?

I have several of both rims & lug nuts and also have looked into installing non lug-centric rims on my truck and to do that it would require a ring spacer on the front hub to center the rims on the hub assembly and making sure the hub bore is the same on all the rims so they can be rotated from front to rear and rear to front.
1992 W350 RCLB 5 Speed Locking 3.54s Flatbed completely stock it's whole life (for now) 117K on the clock (In the middle of a frame off restoration)
1992 W350 RCLB Rag Locking 4.10s Flatbed basket case - All the spare parts left from the other W350 & I still have a whole truck left...
1999 RCSB 1500 24v NV5600
2000 VW Jetta TDI
ihredneck
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 16X6 coined wheels

Postby chicknnhead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 am

ihredneck wrote:A few details.

I have several of both rims & lug nuts and also have looked into installing non lug-centric rims on my truck and to do that it would require a ring spacer on the front hub to center the rims on the hub assembly and making sure the hub bore is the same on all the rims so they can be rotated from front to rear and rear to front.

what would the spacer do? just center against what? the hub

I heard ford wheels could be used up to 97, they only have the coined wheels up to 83 then 84 and up to 97 went to flat style holes on the wheels if you will. this is respect to changing out to custom wheeles. but again have not tried this yet
chicknnhead
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Shop