Build recipe 91 IC truck

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Update:
The build is progressing nicely. I am currently installing some frame plates and boxed in the steering box area in prep for the PSC steering box that is going in. The arms are installed for the crossover steering and that is coming right up
The P-Pump engine is in my shop now. Marine pistons, 60 lb springs, ARP studs, completely rebuilt, cut delivery valves 4K gov spring and set at 12.5 degrees timing.
Gillette Diesel is taking back all the unused VE motor parts and supplying me with a single turbo and injectors capable of the HP numbers I am seeking.
I now own the stock A518 transmission and a 1994 R47RH 2WD transmission which works well. Not sure which one will be used...
Bed is back on, topper installed, tons of custom stuff done. Snorkel system sorted out and built, roof rack fabbed and mounted. New glass, new rubber, most panels are painted with the WW2 OD green paint.
I decided (For now) to go with a longer 52" front leaf spring. Jungle from Ramcharger central is helping me with a bunch of custom parts to make that happen.
As soon as I figure out what the radiator core support and intercooler will look like, the VE engine comes out and the frame gets boxed in up there.
I'll also be deciding about then which transmission to use and get that going.
The build thread is now over 600 pages and nearly half a million views deep and growing by the day.
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:21 pm

So what are the plans for the VE engine?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:So what are the plans for the VE engine?

I have it and a 1994 P-Pump engine for sale at the moment
Also have a transmission, suspension parts, 6" front lift springs, the stock radiator, well, just a bunch of stuff...
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:40 pm

...Just met Andy this afternoon at the kids football game

Up drives this short box 1/2 ton 2WD Cummins...

Yup

Anyway, I have not been active here lately, had a lot of stuff going on starting with a broken knee in July, surgery in August, weird walkin' ever since...

And I open my own web site like I promised to some folks

Anyway, not to take anything from this great site, but I managed to move my entire 91 build thread, a few thousand posts over to my place here:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival ... ?board=2.0

It is in an easier to read part1-part 6 arrangement so far.

Part 7 starts tomorrow with a lot of odds and ends getting done so that I can get into the transmission

I have everything here to build one killer A518, nearly $5,000 worth in just parts. It will simply have the finest and best of everything ever made for that transmission in hopes of living a long and happy life behind a 600-700HP P-Pump with all the good parts inside.

I'll post up there on a nightly basis, as cold weather is build season for me. I'll post some here as well of the progress of that truck.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:06 am

Nice getting to meet you yesterday. I thought your boy was older, didn't realize he played for the same league my daughter cheers for. I still want to come take a look at this when work slows down a bit.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 am

dazedandconfused wrote:Nice getting to meet you yesterday. I thought your boy was older, didn't realize he played for the same league my daughter cheers for. I still want to come take a look at this when work slows down a bit.

Well you'd be welcome anytime...maybe take some of these parts off my hands!
Chris is my youngest...started a new family and all that. He's playing midgets, doing well, taking the licks and dealing a few out as well. I guess I'll see you next weekend!

Don't know if you're keeping up with the SquareD build on my site or D-max forum or not, but all that factory stuff I bolted on new I hence forth removed and went all military with it...different steering box, cross over steering, off set tie rods, different/longer springs front and rear, different seat(s), Axle, all sorts of 2nd gen stuff since I am using a built 95 motor...yup, ole SquareD has certainly changed!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

Yeah my daughter is a Pidgot cheerleader and cheers for them. I'm always sitting down in front of them. I'll have to check out your site. My phone won't download half of the page on the other forum so I haven't been keeping up with it.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Building the transmission at the moment

Posted that on my own web site here:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival ... ic=458.225

Not as easy as I thought!

$4200 in parts alone to live behind that 600HP+ P-Pump motor I am installing
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Trans kicked my butt

Took it over to a local builder

I am going to watch him assemble it on Monday. Will post up the results on my web site.

I'm about half way through rebuilding the NP-205 at the moment
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:42 am

Who did you take it to?
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 am

dazedandconfused wrote:Who did you take it to?

Steve, the owner of Pro Transmissions in Erlanger has it.

He's an Indiana guy with a store here. big time hot-rodder who really knows his stuff.
When we carried the trans into his shop and set it on the bench he took one look at it and said, "That piston is in upside down!

He showed me the holes in the new billet shaft explaining they all needed to be drilled out. He was explaining the oil flow in that trans and said one bushing got hot because of the insufficient oil to cool it. He showed me this tiny hole which he said he was going to open up to 3/16". He said when the bushing got hot it would walk out of the case just enough to cover the oil supply hole and that would cook the entire trans. He said when he was done with it, it would hold anything I could put in front of it.

Hard to estimate the HP, but I am using a HX40 derivative with a 12cm exhaust housing and a 65mm wheel. It has marine injectors, fully cut delivery valves, #5 fuel plate, marine pistons, 5 angle valve job, studs and for now only 12.5 degrees timing.

I figure I'll get it running then take it to a tuner and turn that timing way up and get the power. I told the engine and turbo builder to build a 600 HP motor, and they both agreed that I would have somewhere from 600-700 when done. So that's what that trans will have to hold...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 am

I hope he is better with autos then he is with manuals. My dad had a hell of a time with him and his so called warrenty work on budding a NV4500.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I hope he is better with autos then he is with manuals. My dad had a hell of a time with him and his so called warrenty work on budding a NV4500.

Sorry for your dad's misfortune.

And, yes I hope so as well.

Thing is, these transmissions are pretty simple. It's just that they require a good stockade of shims, clips, retainers, you name it. A trans shop will have all that, I don't. Watching Steve work around on a few of the parts, he was all over it. Seemed like he knew that trans like the back of his hand.

I'm hopeful

Got the transfer case and parts all cleaned up and painted today. Will start reassembly Sunday afternoon if I get a couple hours.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:23 am

Transmission is finished

Now rebuilding the transfer case and I'm about 75% complete.

Next is the locker install in the front D60 and this mess can go back together!

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival ... sg6412#new
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Joined over there finally. What's with all of the questions you have to answer each time you post? That's a pain in the butt.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff