artificial boost

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Postby flashgordon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 am

mhuppertz wrote:
cummins king wrote:thats all great if u got a fart car
im talking about using compressed air to spool up be turbos

A better idea would be to dump compressed air into the exhaust manifold to spool up the turbo just before you dump the clutch. I'd actually like to try that!

Hmmm now that is a vary intersting thougt....................I would like you too to try it :D
I actualy thing it could work vary well!!!!!!!!!!

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 am

I just might! ;-)
mhuppertz

Postby mhuppertz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:59 pm

I guess I could do the math to figure out how many CFM at what pressure I would have to crank into the exhaust manifold in order to acheive, say 10 PSI at idle. What I can't calculate without measurement is how efficient the turbo is at converting exhaust flow and pressure into intake flow and pressure..... I think I need a pressure tap in the exhaust manifold.
mhuppertz

Postby cummins king » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 pm

that would work and it would really low your etgs like huge
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:11 pm

the problem is the air volume has to be very large like a 1" lins or bigger. i have an air start system from a mack and for this to be very effective you would need a setup like that but instead of the airline goin to the starter it would tap into the manifold right before the turbo
92 w250, NV4500, D80, maxed pump, AFC gone, extended fuel screw, more to come.
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby seeker1056 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 pm

In 1969 Mickey Thompson built a monoque Mustang funny car with a Sohc 429 and in stead of a supercharger ran two huge cyclinders of pure oxygen.

It worked so well it was outlawed, car for being too radical (no frame) and the oxy cylinders as too dangerous.

Your idea is do-able after a fashion for a drag run maybe, but there are better ways out there to do early spool on a turbo - they just arent cost efficient enough - yet

co2 and an air amplifier works, but is an expensive setup for a unit large enough.

a supercharger on a turbo works but the plumbing is a nite-mare, unless you got $20,000 for one o those combination units they invented over in europe.
;)
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:49 pm

The most space and cost effective might be to squirt gasolene and NOx into the exhaust manifold with an igniter to spool it up. You could use diesel with the NOx as long as it was run through a heat exchanger first to vaporize it.....
mhuppertz

Postby Begle1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:14 pm

mhuppertz wrote:The most space and cost effective might be to squirt gasolene and NOx into the exhaust manifold with an igniter to spool it up. You could use diesel with the NOx as long as it was run through a heat exchanger first to vaporize it.....

NOx typically refers to nitrogen oxides, not nitrous oxides.

And if you had nitrous, the best spool-up result would be using it in the intake the old fashioned way...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:37 pm

Begle1 wrote:NOx typically refers to nitrogen oxides, not nitrous oxides.
And if you had nitrous, the best spool-up result would be using it in the intake the old fashioned way...

Ooops, I meant NOS. No need to rub my nose in it smarty. :)
You could use the nitrous for both ends (I don't mean you personally!)
Yea, it's probably a stupid idea, on the other hand, .......
mhuppertz

Postby ford69557ci » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:43 pm

or you could just slip the clutch and launch at 25 to 30 lbs like i do without all the highdollar fancy stuff?
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:27 am

flashgordon wrote:
mhuppertz wrote:
cummins king wrote:thats all great if u got a fart car
im talking about using compressed air to spool up be turbos

A better idea would be to dump compressed air into the exhaust manifold to spool up the turbo just before you dump the clutch. I'd actually like to try that!

Hmmm now that is a vary intersting thougt....................I would like you too to try it :D
I actualy thing it could work vary well!!!!!!!!!!

Flash

that's what's going on in that video. about 140psi and a 3/4" line tapped at a low angle to the turbine. seems to work just fine to me.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby Begle1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 am

mhuppertz wrote:Ooops, I meant NOS. No need to rub my nose in it smarty. :)
You could use the nitrous for both ends (I don't mean you personally!)
Yea, it's probably a stupid idea, on the other hand, .......

Well, NOS is the brand name for nitrous oxide systems manufactured by Holley. I don't think that it was much of a genericized trademark until The Fast and the Furious came out...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:44 am

lol you mean the slow and the gay lol yeah when ever someone ask if i have NOS on my truck i just walk off to avoid the dumb conversation that will follow
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:07 pm

[/quote]
Well, NOS is the brand name for nitrous oxide systems manufactured by Holley. I don't think that it was much of a genericized trademark until The Fast and the Furious came out...[/quote]

Geez, grumpy. I have been playing with nitrous for about 30 years. I have a nozzle (made by NOS by the way) that is waiting for me to fix the rear main seal to go in. I HATE that movie!
mhuppertz

Postby DTanklage » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:39 pm

i am friends with the guy (mike thermos) that wrote those 3 letters on a napkin way back in the early 80's when him and waddy were sittin in a diner trying to figure out what they were gonna call thier new business

he still has the napkin

he sold the trademark for those 3 letters to holley for 7,000,000 dollars
DTanklage
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff