I've been digging.

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

I've been digging.

Postby 2muchtq » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm

The popular p-pump has been a tinker toy for me for a while. I know the ins/outs of them fairly well.

I now own a VE pump truck and have been doing some digging on how these things tick.

Let us talk about the AFC lever.

You mash on the throttle. The linkage pulls on the governer spring which pulls the fuel lever forward agains the afc lever. As your boost goes up... the pin rides down allowing the AFC lever to move forward. (the pin goes into the bore... then further into the bore as the pin moves downward)

People take the foot off the AFC lever. What does this accomplish? Is it a little more fuel during the whole building boost for more fuel... or does it do away with the whole AFC function?

I THINK it just gives a little more fuel throughout the whole process. That is just my take on it. I came to this conclusion from reading that some people just take the whole AFC lever out.

The one thing I haven't seen so far....

Why not run without a pin? Pull the fuel pin. Replace with small bolt to keep from pressurizing the pump (or plug the head where the AFC gets its pressure from)

This would let you have full fuel at demand. All that controls it would be the right foot. It would be similar to running a custom 0 plate on a p-pump. (I used to grind a factory plate perfectly flat about 3/16 FURTHER then full rack travel with no ill effects)

NOW. Lets speak a little on delivery valves.

Can you machine the DV's on the VE much like the p-pump to get a little more fuel?

How about the overflow valve? I know you can over pressure a VE causing seals to blow. The fix is loctite and a front seal girdle. But pushing 25 psi through the pump does little if you bypass through the overflow valve. How about upping the pressures a few psi (5-8lbs) to help with fill times of the rotor?

I have a million questions.

Thanks everyone
Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KTA » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:36 am

First off the VE has an orifice return, no overflow valve, so the more fuel you put in the higher the case pressure. Second if you remove the afc lever you no longer have an afc, and if you are actually pushing very much fuel this will hurt your power. There is such a thing as being overfueled. I have a stock afc arm in my pump, and its plenty of fuel at anytime.
Fleet of Junk: 1989 D350 627rwhp 1300 tq B-1/Hx60 twins, KTA pump/injectors, ported head, BIG fuel supply. 13.75@ 109.5mph 1/4: 1992 W350 Cab-chasis, 1993 W350 ext cab cust.370 inj Hx40/16cm 290rwhp hydroboost brakes,1984 D350 crew-cab another project.
KTA
diesel guru/mod

Return to The good stuff