Truck Rebuild Process

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Truck Rebuild Process

Postby oldestof11 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Didn't know where else to put it. But this is some good stuff

I will update as I go along. So much has happened since the accident that now it is time to do some stuff and get it back to its former glory No sense putting a oily engine into a truck that has hardly any rust

Ok, I pulled the engine last Thursday. Pulled something in my back and left it until yesterday. Yesterday I took off the serpentine belt, alternator, all the wiring, any hoses not needed while degreasing, and commenced degreasing. I used 1.25 cans of aerosol Engine Degreaser. After I used it up I took a hose to it and got most of the grease off. Oh shoot! Not enough! I thought I would have to run back to my parts store and get some more. So as I was looking at the front of the engine, I thought, KDP. Better do it while it is out. I couldn't find a way to get the fan off. So after messing with it for about a hour, I called it quits. I go in and shower and get on DTR. I find out there are 4 bolts that hold the fan up. Didn't see those. Then I went to bed, got up went to work, and started this afternoon.

After reading everything on here about the KDP, I went to O'Reilly's to get some gaskets, lok-tight, and a 10mm wrench that I couldn't find. So on order from O'Reillys are oil pan gasket and front main seal kit. They are great guys there! I went to buy a tube of lok-tight and he said hold on there. I have one that I opened up this afternoon and only used a bit. I got nearly a full tube of red lok-tight for $8 vs the $14 for a new tube! The kit was about $30. Will be in tomorrow. So I get home, take off the fan, degreased using the jug of purple power I had that I forgot about, wrestle the 15mm bolts on the vibration damper, and get the case off. Now where is it... Whew! It is still about 1/2" deep in the hole. Make a coat hanger tab, add lok-tight and viola! Now I will wait until the weekend to get the seals and gasket. Until then I need to pull the tranny and transfer case.

I can't wait until the new truck gets here! Gonna do some sprucing up to the engine (new paint and seals) tranny and transfer case.

This saturday I will hopefully pick up the truck. WOOT!

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby 90firstgen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Mock up some twins while you have it out 8)
1990 2x4, 3/4 ton, Getrag, Cummins N/I
3200 Spring
Full Fuel Screw maxed (+/- 4 turns)
Injector rebuild with bigger nozzles
1/8" Timing bump
Airflo Intake
HTT 56mm Compressor
14cm Wastegated Housing
Stan's 4"
90firstgen
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Have any parts for the twins? I am thinking I need DDP injectors, 60lb springs, BHAF stuff, 4"dp, HTT stage IV or equivelant, HX-40 or bigger, 12 CM housing............

OH! Maybe I need a truck first then mock up some! :lol:

Jon

Note, I was kidding about this! Unless you have any lying around :twisted:
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Jon, did you do the bolts by the cam? You said you got Loctite, but didn't say if you did the bolts. Make sure you do them! I've seen 2 engines that had a bolt fall out into the gears. 1 broke the cam. Veerrrryyyy expensive to fix! :wink:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:53 pm

What's the new truck going to be, brother?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:45 pm

91.5 W250 Std LE. Used to be a Wyoming truck and has 1 rust spot at the lowest part of the left fender. Frame is immaculate according to him. The thing I will miss the most is the Ext cab. But things gained: 4" block in the rear vs the 6". It was hard to get a gooseneck (I have a 24ft livestock trailer) over the bed. Frame is nice according to him. All the body parts there vs no rockers on my old one. The truck looks like a towing virgin. The engine will be cleaner and the driveline will be oil free. It is grey with red pin striping following the fender, door lines and the bed lines :twisted:

Now what to do to the old frame. I have been brainstorming today and figured that I will Take everything off the frame, blast it, paint/powder coat it and put a STD cab on it with a custom flat bed. Add a another 1st Gen motor with some serious sticks, Bosch VE 14mm, twins, 4.10 lockers, Getrag with a dual-disk, 285/70/16 on Eagle 101's, black, 2 6" flat top stacks, 1/2" fuel lines, etc and make it a pulling truck.

Jon
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Ok. I just did some more today. I have painted approximately 2/3 of it. Sorry but the paint colors are to remain, um, undercover I will either post them when it is done OR I will let the guys who come to SOP #4 see it first and get their reactions. Lets just say, it is different which I am and do like.

While I was at it, I did the oil pan gasket. I thought I got all the bolts but didn't realize that there were 4 more hidden between the tranny mount and the deep end of the pan, what ever that back plate is called.

Tomorrow, I will hopefully get the front main seal done, timing cover painted, and the tranny and transfer case done.

I did not get the truck this weekend due to title issues. Since the truck came form Wyoming, and the current owner never transfered it to his name, he sent it back to get it renoterized (sp?). Well the previous owner got busy and didn't get to the courthouse as of Friday. So hopefully he will get it done next weekend and have the title priority mailed. Just make the wait for the truck a little sweeter. I just can't wait for it. I feel like a kid at Christmas time

Jon

PS, PToombs, Yes I did get them. They were a little tight in there. But the one next to the kdp :shock:
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:52 am

See? That coulda been a oops! :wink: The sad part is, I preach to every body else, and haven't done mine! :roll:

It is on the "ToDo "list! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am

Lemme just say, the hard part of getting to the timing cover was the vibration damper. The engine kept on wanting to turn while I was trying to break the 15mm bolts from it. That is when a tranny comes into play. Oh weel.

Jon
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff