Help a noob out with a goal of 350 hp

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Help a noob out with a goal of 350 hp

Postby slicknickz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:16 pm

Hello guys. I got myself a 91 cummins non intercooled truck and its actaully my dads but he told me I can mod it if i feel the need.... well I feel the need! A buddy of my dads left a wrecked international with the DT466 engine at our house and I want to take some parts.. I'm pretty sure that this engine has a P-pump and the turbo(garrett) down pipe (4in) is bigger than my stock holset.
I thought about using my turbo and then using the other turbo and running a twins set up. but we just rebuilt the getrag and bought a south bend clutch rated for 350 horse and 700 ft lbs. I would love to see those numbers out of my truck. Is it possible of runnin twins and getting those numbers fairly easy? Or is there another way?
O i probably should tell you what I've already done to the truck to do that. turned the pump up a bit and put duel 5 inch stacks but that all for modifications. I know I'm asking for a lot and I've got one more question. I've been looking for injectors also since they are a simple upgrade and quick to do. Which one would be best for good gas milage and power. I pull a bobcat and trailer all of the time so I don't want my gas milage to go down any more cause all that weight doesn't help.

Sorry for asking so much I'm new to the diesel scene and any help would be great
slicknickz
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:43 am

350 HP and 700 foot pounds?

POD injectors are good for 400 HP if you don't tow ($400), 435's are good for a bit less if you do tow. ($500)

To support the fuel put out by those injectors you need a pyrometer ($150), a torque convertor or clutch, and an intercooler would be preferrable. The stock turbo is good for 350, but that's about the upper limit for it; depending on the model of Garrett in the DT-466 it might be a perfect turbo for what you're looking for, or it might be outdated and not quite up to par. I don't know my CAT's and Garretts...

Typically twins are made with something like an HT3B or a S400, which are a size step up from what are on DT466's.

If you put a P-pump and twins on the truck you're going to be looking at above 600 HP...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Your nonIC stock injectors can take you up to 300-325hp, IF you add some instrumentation and an intercooler (bigger is better, skip 1stGen stuff for this). I think your stock (nonIC) injectors are best for MPGs, as PODs are a known power-only injector, 190s are too close to stock to notice any difference, and the DonM EDM's I had (both sets) just added smoke and some power, but NO MPG. I have no experience in a nonIC truck with any other injectors.

Your turbo isnt good much past ~25psi boost (250hp), so an HX35 or an upgrade kit from HTT, Gillett Diesel, et al, is also necessary (along with a 4" intake hose).

With 350hp, you will likely be topping 800tq, which the clutch may or may not like, depending on your driving style. If you can get 20+ MPG empty now, and drop to the low- mid teens towing the Bobcat, you are doing ok MPG wise. Getting your stockers cleaned and pop pressures reset will do wonders if you are having smoke and MPG issues.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff