Filter for water injection?

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Filter for water injection?

Postby Begle1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Has anybody ever seen a filter for the water you inject into the engine?

The typical solution is windshield washer fluid, which who knows how well they filter. The right thing to do is use distilled water, but that's too expensive.

It'd be nice if there was a filter that you could have faith enough in to fill up with the water out of the hose at the gas station. But since it's hard enough to get minerals out of drinking water, I wouldn't think there'd be anything simple that could filter the water that well.

Or is there? Would your typical Brita drinking water filter work at all?

I mean, I could always turn the exhaust manifold into a flash evaporator, but that's way too much work...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby wannadiesel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm running a clear plastic fuel filter in the suction line on mine. The meth I get is from work, we store it in a condemned 1000 gallon propane tank so there's usually some rust flakes (and who nows what other crap) in it. Smells like ethyl mercaptin too. :wink:
'93 D350 LE Club Cab dually, Getrag, 3.54 Pow-R-Lok with: DPS EDM's, HTT Stage IV/14wg, Con-FE, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, custom fuel pin, Walbro secondary fuel system.

Best dyno: 408/844
wannadiesel
diesel guru

Postby DTanklage » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:26 am

my kit is on its way here. not gonna worry about the water, tap water should work. it did in the 70's when we were srewing around with turbo bikes. and it worked in the 80's with small 4 cyl (datsun) motors. why wont it work with todays systems?

meth on the other hand is touchy stuff. i dont mix old w new meth. right way to do it (same with race gas) is to keep it in FULL STEEL CANS. that means if you buy 55 gals you ought to pour it into 11 five gal cans, filled to the brim, and store it in the dark. they say not to store it on the ground but i dont know how important that is. if you buy 5 gals you can put it in one gal steel cans. that is what i do with race gas for the bike. air is its biggest enemy

don
slowass 2nd gen - ADRL pro mod bike #798 - 4.26 @ 175 mph (1/8m) - how quick do you wanna go?
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:04 am

I'm sure it would work, but contaminates in water couldn't be too good for the engine? Shouldn't it be filtered for the same reason that air is filtered?

I just don't want hard water deposits on my valve seats...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby DTanklage » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:13 am

lol, i would be more worried about the affect of STEAM CLEANING THE CYL WALLS than some micscopic particles
slowass 2nd gen - ADRL pro mod bike #798 - 4.26 @ 175 mph (1/8m) - how quick do you wanna go?
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:10 am

DTanklage wrote:lol, i would be more worried about the affect of STEAM CLEANING THE CYL WALLS than some micscopic particles

The "steam cleaning" is supposed to be a benefit, isn't it?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby DTanklage » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:18 pm

i dont know...

every motor i have ever taken apart has had engine oil on the cyl walls

cast iron cyl with cast iron ring or maybe a chrome moly coated cast ring riding on it...

tank
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:38 pm

Has anybody ever heard of getting water in crank case oil due to water injection?
Begle1
14mm rotor

IF

Postby seeker1056 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:37 am

If your truly worried about minute crap in the injection water they sell a brass inline filter that is cleanable, on Evilbay for about $15.00

personally I think the injection nozzle will plug before anything of any consequence will get to the motor that would cause any significant damages.
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff