my truck build thread

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

my truck build thread

Postby captmatthew1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:15 pm

well, since i have been around for a while and rarely post i thought i should start a build thread to show progress. since i am starting to buy parts it seemed like a good time :D

here is my junk as of today

not going to find alot of other trucks in the midwest with factory rocker panels in this kind of shape

got a couple of parts in the mail today. new lift pump and a autometer a pillar gauge pod for my pyro and boost.
and a pic of my wifes denali. we will be doing a cummins conversion on this when my truck is done. still trying to decide 4bt or 6bt. (i am voting for 6bt :lol: )
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Re: my truck build thread

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I vote 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T (I think??) or a Duramax. Cummins it just too long and tall. IIRC, the Denali's have AWD as opposed to 4wd so the stock computer might go nuts on some parameters.

I have rockers that good. Mine even came from a farmer who used it for a hog chit tank. Something that was described somewhat like that.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 pm

i was originally going to go with duramax since it is essentially plug and play. the wiring harness will plug right in to the body and the computer plugs right into the harness, everything works as factory. and it is still an option that i am pursuing as a possibility. but they had injector issues with those early duramax diesels and the only plug and play engines from my research would be 01-02. after that they went with a different computer and wiring.

oh well, something for the future anyways, besides, once i get around to that project duramax trucks should be cheaper. cheapest i have found out my way was 8k for one with shotty injectors :shock:
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 pm

You can find them cheaper. I had seen a 01 Duramax with just replaced injectors for $7k. What year Denali? AFAIK, they didn't come about till 03-04?
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 pm

this is a 01. first year of the new body style. every available option. even still has the window sticker. 50k new. i got it for a cool 7k 8)
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Diesel Dawg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am

I would leave the denali alone as long as it functions good. Then go with the 6bt the vehicle is to heavy for the 4bt. The Duramax swap would be tempting but would be leary of inj. as well. But it would be a wiring nightmare to get all the options functioning proper. :sad: :sad:
92 D-350 reg. cab,dually,c.t.d.,auto,3.54s,fuel screw 2+turns,smoke screw3 turns,star wheel all the way down,,B.H.A.F.,,gauges,DennyT stage 2 pin,366 spring next!!!
Diesel Dawg
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93flatbed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 pm

With the second gen seats in there is it comfortable to drive? I'm 6'2" and think I'll be a little cramped. But would like to know, need a place to set my drink while I row gears.
93 W250. Waiting on EFI live to come out with a ve version.
93flatbed
fuel screw!!!!

Postby captmatthew1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm

those are actually grand caravan seats out of a 96 dodge minivan. i just put the second gen center console/seat between them because it fit very well between them and gave me the console to use.

they are very comfortable. im 6'4" and i have plenty of room for my legs. i would think you would have no problem with space with these seats in your truck.

i had the second gen seats and did not like them very much. while they were more comfortable than the bench, they seemed to lack support. the caravan seats have side bolsters that kind of hug you and keep you from being tossed around the cab like a rag doll with that famous firm 1st gen suspension. to each their own i suppose.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby captmatthew1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

well, it has been cold here, so havent gotten anything really done in the past few days. got up some ambition to get my gauges installed this morning!! :D

i think they match my white faced gauges pretty well, the only complaint i have is the gauge pod is not pointed in my face. the gauges are pointed at the roof!!

oh well. they are still readable. i put the boost gauge on top since i thought it was easier to read with the extreme angle than the egt was.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby captmatthew1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:46 pm

well, despite it being near 0 degrees today, i decided i wanted to get a little more out of my stock injectors before i put the new ones in, due to the lack of a bigger turbo.

i definitely see needing a different turbo even with stock injectors. mine will not spool fast enough for my liking. very fun after the turbo lights, but until then, it just makes a sooty mess.

also, when you turn up the pump, how far should the screw go in? mine stopped after about 4-5 turns. before you ask, i have already taken the collar off of the screw. it felt like it bottomed out or something bound up. does that mean that it is in all the way? or should i inspect the threads on my power screw? the lock nut had no problems going over the threads on the screw so i am confident that they are clean, but i dont know.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 am

captmatthew1 wrote:also, when you turn up the pump, how far should the screw go in? mine stopped after about 4-5 turns. before you ask, i have already taken the collar off of the screw. it felt like it bottomed out or something bound up. does that mean that it is in all the way? or should i inspect the threads on my power screw? the lock nut had no problems going over the threads on the screw so i am confident that they are clean, but i dont know.

The intercooled trucks tend to do this, but not 100% of the time. Some weld a tiny bead on the end of the fuel screw or there is a part number floating around here for a longer fuel screw
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 am

Another thing you can try to do, is take the pump top off, and carefully drill the O-ring seat down a little farther to get that extra oomph. There is a part number floating around for a longer power screw too.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 am

Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:27 am

so is that screw longer on the inside of the pump too? its not that great a picture of it, but it looks like it may be just a little bit longer. currently i have my highest egt at full throttle up hill to 1100 degrees and i am pushing about 22psi boost. which from i what i understand is about as far as i want to go with the h1c. no biggie, i plan on going bigger for different injectors anyways :mrgreen:
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:29 pm

I slap the peg on my 30lbs gauge repeatedly when racing. Stock H1C...
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Next

Return to The good stuff