my truck build thread

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: my truck build thread

Postby captmatthew1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:19 pm

well, despite the bad luck, i am back at getting things cleaned up. i re-covered my headliner tonight and got it installed. i think it turned out pretty good! let me know what you think :mrgreen:
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby gobigorgohome » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:05 pm

captmatthew1 wrote:so is that screw longer on the inside of the pump too? its not that great a picture of it, but it looks like it may be just a little bit longer. currently i have my highest egt at full throttle up hill to 1100 degrees and i am pushing about 22psi boost. which from i what i understand is about as far as i want to go with the h1c. no biggie, i plan on going bigger for different injectors anyways :mrgreen:

mine hits 32 on the stock h1c and my pump isnt turned up all the way either, thats with the auto too
91 4x4 with the 727, has the factory tach!
Boost gauge installed 27psi, new exhaust manifold here just not on yet. Pyro installed all glowshift units. 173 HP baseline before poor mans 4 inch dp
gobigorgohome
fuel screw!!!!

Postby firstgenjunkie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Looks pretty clean. What kind of fabric did you use? I went with the headliner stuff at Hancock Fabrics. Same color as the stocker stuff.
1992 Dodge D350 Dually. EV2 Pyro & Boost, BHAF, Denny T Stage 2 pin, 366 spring, 4 inch exhaust and mildly tweaked pump. 2nd gen split bench, full replacement bumper/grill, and mobile comm suite.
firstgenjunkie
fuel screw!!!!

Postby captmatthew1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 pm

I got headliner fabric from Jo-Ann's fabrics. Pretty easy and looks a lot better than the bare roof I had

A little update with the damage. The truck is in the shop for estimates as we speak. They are taking full liability for the accident so that's a sigh of relief for me. Hopefully they do the right thing and get this thing fixed.

Also got the new turbo in today. But with the truck not being here, it kind of wasn't as exciting to get it as it would have been if it was in my driveway.
1992 W250 5 speed, pump maxxed, 366 spring, caravan seats, white gauges, more to come.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby captmatthew1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Well, here it is. Got it in the mail today.

It has a waste gated housing. I'm not very familiar with turbos so I'm trying to do as much research as possible. Where does the waste gate hose go? Or do I even need to hook it up? This turbo also still has the silencer ring in it. Will removing this add to its performance or just make it louder? Also, I don't know about what size exhaust housing this thing has. What sizes came with the hx35w? I have a picture of the housing

It says 16 2. Does this mean this has a 16cm housing? I know, a dumb question, but sometimes they need to be asked. And would this housing be a good match for my mods at this point? 16 would definitely spool up way faster than my 21cm housing I have now. I am excited to get the truck back from the shop to get to put some of my new goodies on :mrgreen:

And another update from the shop front...apparently they put the truck in their back lot waiting for approval from the insurance company to start doing quotes, and when they went to put it in their shop this afternoon, they were unable to get it to engage in any gear. :mad: this has been one thing after another with getting these quotes dealt with.

So I'm going to make the hour drive to where the truck resides and get it put I gear for them at 730 in the morning. Yay for me considering I work second shift and I haven't seen the clock say 6 am for a while :shock:

That's all I have for now. More updates tomorrow when I know more about what is going on with all this headache.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Hansen01 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:46 am

My hx-35 had a 12cm.
people always say it helps, but everyone ive talked to including myself, say taking the silencer ring out just makes more whistle
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 am

That's what I thought about the silencer ring. But I might just take it out for kicks. If nothing else than at least I get a nice whistle that will drive me crazy while driving causing me to put it back in :D

Got to the shop this morning to get the truck in gear for them. They got it stuck in reverse and the shifter slipped past the shift gate :mad:

Oh well, at least it is fixed and they can finally get it in for the estimates. I will have a copy of the estimates in my email at some point today, so looking forward to that. Also looking forward to getting the truck back. While I do like my wife's Denali, I do prefer my pickup and it is driving me nuts having to drive the suv to work in all it's 14 mpg glory.

So the 16 on the exhaust housing doesn't mean 16cm? How do you tell what the size is?
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Hansen01 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 pm

you get used to the whistle, when you hear everyone complain about it being annoying :lol:
as for the housing someone else will know
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am

well, got the turbo in :D that made alot of difference for sure. and then got the injectors in today. this thing is getting better and better. the injectors smoke a little (obviously expected that with pods) but clear up great when the turbo lights up. i got a video of 0-60 with the new turbo, but not with the injectors yet.
http://youtu.be/71tSCnir77U
i will get another one with the injectors. what do you think should be next? exhaust or intake. i was thinking about the asa modifieds intake. anyone have experience with them?

i know i can build my own out of pvc piping for next to nothing, but not what i am going for. i want this to look clean. and the asa modifieds intake looks nice and clean. what are your thoughts. what about exhaust? what would be a good kit for me to buy? i would like a dual outlet but have only found a single side exit. i would have to assume that a dual would have to be custom made.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 pm

1st, get an exhaust. The stock air intake system is very good as is. Not like the gas world.

2nd, you don't HAVE to do PVC for an intake. I would do 4" exhaust powder coated with some quality intake boots from these guys: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/ Also I would connect it to a BHAF. Then you have more than enough air that is filtered correctly.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I've used 4" aluminum tube before and it worked well. I think the website is airflo.com
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby m880cummins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Silence ring does nothing for performance according to my boost gauge. I wouldn't run that HX35 past 45psi for long. I have had mine to 56psi but only for a second or two.

As for the intake, go on ebay and buy a piece of 45* bend 4" steel exhaust pipe. Or check out a good exhaust shop.

I work at an auto parts store and if you walk into one, ask to look at their walker exhaust catalog, go to accessories and check out the misc elbows and pieces. I bought stuff out of there and the book does have stainless 4" too. 45* or a 60 degree bend works good. Then slap on a spectre air filter from auto zone for $40

Scroll down to check out my intake:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11543

Picked up those silicone boots on ebay as well as the clamps.

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm

I got a 4" 45* bend and made my inlet tube. Painted it to match the truck, looks sharp!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:56 pm

PToombs wrote:I got a 4" 45* bend and made my inlet tube. Painted it to match the truck, looks sharp!

Too bad the owner wasn't as sharp looking as that pipe. :lol:
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby captmatthew1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm

I was thinking about going with exhaust first also, but wanted opinions. And I didnt think about using exhaust tubing. With that I could create something equally clean.
captmatthew1
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff