Parker's '91 D350 Build Thread

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Parker's Build Thread

Postby peobryant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:13 pm

oldestof11 wrote:That truck is beautiful Parker.

Now for me, I am going to do either a satin black/chrome combo or satin black/green/black...

Thank you sir, I appreciate the compliment. It's hard to choose a color isn't it?

PToombs wrote:I say repaint it stock color! I love the white/ grey 2 tone.

That is probably what I'll end up doing as I'm sure it's the cheapest option. I don't dislike the color, but it is very grandpa-ish. I do want a set of running boards, a topper and a turn down tip so I guess that will fit the "grandpa" bill. :lol:

Now for a question. As I was washing my truck I notice the black rubber trim was at the beginning stages of starting to peel right under the fuel door. What can I do to prevent that and is there an adhesive to use to stick it back on (it hasn't peeled yet) or would I have to remove the whole piece to stick it in place again?
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Peel it off and clean the dirt and crud out from behind it. Go get some 3m double sided automotive tape and stick it back on. Easy project.

I really like your color combo. It's probably my 2nd favorite, behind black and silver. I say repaint it stoak but it's your truck and it only has to please one person...your wife/gf!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Black93 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:24 pm

peobryant wrote:I got my new grille on but I'm having an issue with the market lights under the headlights screwing in properly. One screw will run in and get tight and the other side just spins, for both lights. I'll be going out and looking at it again as I had to come in for dinner, I'm sure it's just be being stupid.

Check those plastic nutserts, that the screws thread into. I can't remember if they all stayed in or not. They can get brittle and either crack or fall out. Let me know if you need any. I've got a junk grille that I can rob them off of.
1993 W350 LE ext. cab dually, tuned pump, 60mm HX35, NV4500, 4" straight tbe, 366, 1/8" bump, THD fuel pin & lppp, DPS manifold, DFI 5x12's, 3" tubes, PS IC, D80 rear, 3.54's, 4th gen Alcoas.
Black93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby peobryant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Black93 wrote:
peobryant wrote:I got my new grille on but I'm having an issue with the market lights under the headlights screwing in properly. One screw will run in and get tight and the other side just spins, for both lights. I'll be going out and looking at it again as I had to come in for dinner, I'm sure it's just be being stupid.

Check those plastic nutserts, that the screws thread into. I can't remember if they all stayed in or not. They can get brittle and either crack or fall out. Let me know if you need any. I've got a junk grille that I can rob them off of.

That is exactly what it was. I pulled some off my old grille so all is good now, thanks for the offer though.

My ASA intake was waiting for me when I got home from work, so I'm off to install that. The I'll take her for a test drive because I've only heard good things about they way it sounds. :D
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:40 pm

ASA installed and I ran into one little problem. The support bracket that came with it is completely useless. It is supposed to support the filter but I tried twisting it every which way to no avail, it wasn't even close to being in the right position. Anyone else run into this problem or am I just an idiot? Would running it without the bracket be okay? I tightened everything and tried moving it and everything is very snug and doesn't seem like it would move at all and I've heard of people running BHAF's with no support bracket but it's little stiff like that that worries me.

I'll get pictures tomorrow, the black and red looks great I think.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby The_Head » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 am

When I had an ASA, I didn't even use that bracket. I think you'd be ok without it.
1992 Dodge Power Ram 250 (sold)
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman, RC, 4WD, G56, Traxda 2.5/1" leveling kit
The_Head
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 am

Ive heard a lot of people saying that bracket is useless.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 am

Alex and this other dude had problems, quote from alex's 500 club tread
ahale2772 wrote:
Ram360man wrote:I just bent the mount for my asa intake till it fit the inner fender decently flat. Drilled a hole and bolted it.

I looked at it for a good 10 minutes, figured either my truck was a rarity because its an early non-ac 89 or I was just missing something. I think I'll bend up a tab from where i have the wire hooked now to the filter clamp.

if anyone is doubting that they need a new intake, for 200$ the ASA is easy.. and damn does it sound good

Thanks Ellis... its getting there
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:34 am

yep... the instructions dont give a good description of where it should go, and Like you, I tried every witch way and it didnt work.

ive got a tap hanging from the inner fender, I wouldn't let it hang free just because I wouldn't want it to sag and have the filter rub

how does it sound parker? PICS!
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Re: Parker's Build Thread (Now with ASA pics!)

Postby peobryant » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one who's had issues with that bracket. I'll let it hang for now and monitor it over the next few months and if I notice any sagging I'll work something out.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

I had my brother take the pictures since he has a fancy camera but he decided to take them in some goofy angles.

While were on the subject of the ASA intake I want to thank Mark at http://www.dieseltuff.com for helping me out. I contacted PDR about the intake and never heard back from them about different colors (I remember way back when when Mad Max first started talking about them on here, and had pictures saved) and I really wanted either a black with red decal or red with black decal. I found dieseltuff through Google and e-mailed him about different colors. Within 12 hours I had a response that I was the only one who had requested something other than the standard black with white decal in something like 7 years but he would contact ASA for me and see if they'd do it. Sure enough about a day late I had an e-mail from him saying that ASA would make the color I wanted. It may not seem like a big deal but it's nice to see someone go out of their way for their customer and I will be using his site in the future for sure. I'm extremely happy with the intake and the ordering process. I love the black and red combo.

It sounds fantastic but damn is the 21cm housing laggy. I mean I already knew it was laggy but you can really tell how bad it is when you can actually hear the turbo spooling. I guess I shouldn't have sold that 16cm housing. :lol: I'm hoping to find a pretty cheap HX-35 to throw on for a bit as my turbo has quite a few miles on it and even though a 35 isn't a huge upgrade a lower mile turbocharger would do me some good I'm sure.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Parker's Build Thread (Now with ASA Pics!)

Postby cmann250 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Looks clean 8) I made the same thing with 2 45* boots and piece of 4" exhaust. Not as pretty, but it works. I laid into it in the first week I had it and the turbo was screaming so loud that I checked to see if a boot had fallen off when I got home :lol:

What kind of filter is that?
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:16 pm

cmann250 wrote:Looks clean 8) I made the same thing with 2 45* boots and piece of 4" exhaust. Not as pretty, but it works. I laid into it in the first week I had it and the turbo was screaming so loud that I checked to see if a boot had fallen off when I got home :lol:

What kind of filter is that?

I would've done that but Dallas wanted to get me a birthday present and this was one of the cheapest things I wanted so she bought. Or, I bought it with her money at least, she probably wouldn't know what to order. :roll:

The filter is an AFE, I'm pretty sure all ASA intakes come with one. http://shop.dieseltuff.com/ASA-Modified ... Filter.htm
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

I agree the service was great from Dieselfuff.com, apparently they ran out of the black when I ordered and as soon as I placed the order I got an email saying they would be done the next week and he would let me know as soon as it shipped, as he did. great service
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:49 am

More electrical issues, who could've guessed?

Here's what is happening. The truck is intermittently charging, sometimes it will go a few weeks and charge fine, and other times it won't charge for a week or so, and then be fine for a while after that. I've changed at least half a dozen voltage regulators, and I recently bought a recommended blue Mopar regulator, and now my truck isn't charging again. I bought my truck to AutoZone and they tested the alternator while it was on the truck and told me it was bad, so I removed it the next day and brought it up to exchange it. They tested it again and said it was fine (they tested it about 5 or 6 times in a row and it passed every time) but I figured I'd exchange it anyways so I'd be sure the alternator was good. Well, the one they had in stock had a 6 groove pulley and mine is an 8 groove so I couldn't use it. I brought my battery in as well and that tested fine too, but I think I'll replace it with an Optima Red Top as the battery that I have came with my truck about 6 years ago and I'm sure it will need one soon.

So anyways, what the hell is wrong? My alternator is good, battery is good and I have a less than two month old voltage regulator and the damn thing still won't charge. I'm going to replace the alternator and battery anyways but if that doesn't fix it what else can I do? Is there some sort of wiring that could be loose or something? Anyone want to buy a 21 year old dually that refuses to charge? :roll:

Thanks for any help. I'm seriously thinking about getting the truck completely re-wired, any idea how much that would cost?
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Parker's Build Thread (Now with more electrical problems!)

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 am

Sounds like a ground problem. Pull the ground cable off the engine and clean it. Then you can do a couple things.

I personally upgrade the Ground-to-Core support wire to 12ga. Then I have a common ground point from the ground to the fender well made up of 10ga. I then took a 12ga from the common ground point to the fire wall. As of right now, I do not have a grounding issue.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff