Parker's '91 D350 Build Thread

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Parker's Build Thread (Now with more electrical problems!)

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:40 am

Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:28 pm

BTDT on the electrical hell.

Your's is intercooled and it's externally regulated? If you converted it, how did you do so?

Also, I remember a tid bit on later 1st gens and not charging. I think the crank sensor can be a culprit because the truck has to be running for the alternator to work. Truck not running, why would the alternator need to charge?

And last of all, the reason that the alternator failed in the truck and passed off the truck is because the test RPM they spin it at to test it is way higher than you'd see driving like a sane person would. In my expirence, have a small shop rebuild it instead of buying a new one. I just paid $70 to have my starter rebuilt versus something like $300 for a Denso one and $120 for a chinese POS
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:56 pm

cmann250 wrote:BTDT on the electrical hell.

Your's is intercooled and it's externally regulated? If you converted it, how did you do so?

Also, I remember a tid bit on later 1st gens and not charging. I think the crank sensor can be a culprit because the truck has to be running for the alternator to work. Truck not running, why would the alternator need to charge?

And last of all, the reason that the alternator failed in the truck and passed off the truck is because the test RPM they spin it at to test it is way higher than you'd see driving like a sane person would. In my expirence, have a small shop rebuild it instead of buying a new one. I just paid $70 to have my starter rebuilt versus something like $300 for a Denso one and $120 for a chinese POS

Mine is a '91.5, so the first of the intercooled trucks and I believe all the '91's had external regulators from the factory. It wasn't until '92 that the regulators became integrated with the PCM. My truck doesn't have a crank sensor either, otherwise I;d have my factory (dealer...) tach hooked up.

Nice to know about the alternator. I'm getting a new one because they have a lifetime warranty so if something ever does happen I can get another one for free. From AutoZone a reman alternator was $109 and some change with my core, not to bad for a lifetime of alternators in my opinion.

Jon, forgive me for my ignorance, but where is the ground cable on our engines? Got a picture you could show me?

I appreciate it fellas.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:19 pm

On mine it goes from the negative on the battery to right below the vacuum pump.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:31 am

Well my local AutoZone is full of incompetent morons so I still don't have an alternator or a truck to drive. I swear, this electrical crap is going to be the end of me. I've been fighting charging problems for what seems like years now.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby bmoeller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 am

peobryant wrote:Well my local AutoZone is full of incompetent morons.

All of the AZ stores pretty much do. I pretty much won't go there if it is a "diesel" related item. Their books are wrong a lot of the time.

Personally, I'd clean every single ground you can find in the engine compartment.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Here, the guys who got fired from O'Reillys went to Autozone. They will tell you they don't know the 1st thing about a diesel but if I tell them what I need, no questions asked, they find it.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Well I've had an unusual string of good luck.

Went to NAPA for an alternator and it turns out I had bought my previous one from NAPA with a lifetime warranty so I got a new (re-man) one for free. I installed it and IT WORKS! MY TRUCK IS FINALLY CHARGING! We'll see how long it lasts but hopefully I won't have any more troubles with my charging system for a long while yet.

I thought the starter on the Subaru was going out as well so I jacked it up to remove it, and one of the cables has a very loose nut. Tightened it up and haven't had a problem since. I still need to get the timing belt done but that will have to wait for a few weeks.

Now I just have to tackle the other electrical problems my truck is having...
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby Rob_O » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:51 pm

peobryant wrote:

What sort of issues are you having? I'm right down the road (Zorn Ave. area) and might be able to help you as I work through the issues on my '92
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Postby peobryant » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Rob_O wrote:
peobryant wrote:

What sort of issues are you having? I'm right down the road (Zorn Ave. area) and might be able to help you as I work through the issues on my '92

My main concerns right now are the blower motor now engaging (for heat and AC) and my windows not rolling down. The short story is this, I was replacing fuses in my truck and the next day driving it the fuse box fell from underneath the dash. I reached to put it back under (while at a light) and I must have touched the steering coloumn or something as there were sparks and then the issues started. The blower motor and windows were fine before the fuse box touched metal.

Another issue is my hazards aren't working. When the switch is on the on position I have no hazards, as well as no brake lights or turn signals, but in the off position I do.

Zorn Avenue isn't far from me at all (I'm about 5 or 6 miles from River Road) and I'd love for someone more experienced in electrical to give me some help. What kinda issues are you having with your truck?
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Parker's Build Thread (She's Charging!)

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

The Hazard/brake/turn really sound like a ground problem TBH. Like it's backfeeding through their ground when the key is on. The hazards have a pretty straightforward path, they have their own fusible link and everything, so them not working pretty much rules out a hot-side problem on their end.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Maybe the hazard flasher is bad? It's normal to not have brake or turn lights when the hazards are on.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Rob_O » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 pm

peobryant wrote:Zorn Avenue isn't far from me at all (I'm about 5 or 6 miles from River Road) and I'd love for someone more experienced in electrical to give me some help. What kinda issues are you having with your truck?

5 miles from River Rd... fairly close to 1694 I'm guessing.

All of my current issues are PCM related, but I have this living under the dashboard...

Everything else works but it's all hacked together with a bunch of wire nuts, crimp connectors, vampire taps and jumper wires. I have a new (used) fusebox and some wiring diagrams I found online so I'll sort it all out when I have a free day to work on it
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Postby peobryant » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Rob_O wrote:
peobryant wrote:Zorn Avenue isn't far from me at all (I'm about 5 or 6 miles from River Road) and I'd love for someone more experienced in electrical to give me some help. What kinda issues are you having with your truck?

5 miles from River Rd... fairly close to 1694 I'm guessing.

All of my current issues are PCM related, but I have this living under the dashboard...

Everything else works but it's all hacked together with a bunch of wire nuts, crimp connectors, vampire taps and jumper wires. I have a new (used) fusebox and some wiring diagrams I found online so I'll sort it all out when I have a free day to work on it

That is the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. :shock:

I would have no idea where to even begin with that. I'm not patient enough to deal with electrical, especially something like that.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I knew Scotchloks would breed like that but never wire nuts! :shock:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff