Suggestions Welcome!

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Postby CumminsPride » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:47 am

Well I use my truck and I need it to be reliable, and avoiding IP failure is kinda important. So what we all want is more power, reliably. Now we all want it as inexpensive as possible right? Well from what I have gathered the tweaked pump (not internally modded, with exception of gsk and a ground pin ) will strugle to deliver 350ish hp with a set of 5x.012's. That's all I'm saying in that statement. The pump could be heavily modded and that's fine but you'd still be puttin more stress on the pump and this will in turn lower your reliability.

Wade
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:39 am

Would bigger injectors reduce injection line pressure and make things eaisier on the pump?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby DTanklage » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am

thats actually a good question - and another area of tuning where a case pressure gauge may come into play

i am sure the pop pressure of the inj is what determines line pressure but will going to a larger inj set at a slightly lower pop pressure be hard on the ve cuz the volume increases or easier cuz the pressure is lower?

don
slowass 2nd gen - ADRL pro mod bike #798 - 4.26 @ 175 mph (1/8m) - how quick do you wanna go?
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:15 pm

"At the injector's limit" means that while you can turn up the pump, there is little to no more dependable power to be attained with (stock) VE internals- pressures build up too high for long term reliability. Basically, you have reached the proverbial wall, and need either internal pump mods, or bigger sticks to get more power. I think reliability is a bigger concern for us, as the pump is lubed exclusively by fuel, and many of us dont have the cash to pay for trial and error, or have the pressure to feed huge injectors.

Pop pressure determines line/ pump pressure to a point. When you only have 6 holes at .009" (stock), the pressure will spike higher; because there is so little fuel coming out (relatively); compared to, say, a 6x.012 (77% more than stock, by area of holes- it could be a higher percentage, as I have only had beginning physics). There is nowhere for the built up pressure to go, except back into the pump. Lower pop pressures will relieve stress on the pump, but so will larger/ more holes. Simplified, more area for the fuel to go. Both methods can increase fuel getting into the cylinders.

So, yes, begle, bigger injectors can make for less pump pressure. But, you also have to mind that you dont open things up too much and have fuel dribbling in. The VE is much more limited in pressure and volume than the P7100, but there are ways being worked around that as we type.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPride » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 am

Thank you for the in-depth explanation following my short and vague description. You should be a writer. lol . But anyhow thank you for following up on what I was trying to relay here.

Thanks, Wade
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to The good stuff