HX35 install

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

HX35 install

Postby coolhand_luke » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 pm

I was given some Christmas money so I decided to address my turbo situation. I was going to buy a 12cm2 housing for my HC1 but it was too much money for me. I found an hx35 on Ebay for $300 so I decided to go that route. I know its not a genuine Holset made HX35 but Im cool with that. I will see how it holds up. In a few years I will upgrade to a big turbo along with injectors and more, but for now, this cheap HX35 will do. Anyways, it came in the mail and I would give the packing job 4 stars. The turbo came with protective caps on all its openings which was nice to see. Taking my old turbo off was harder than I thought but got her off cleanly. The HX35 bolted on smoothly. Just pushed the downpipe back a bit and it all bolted it up fine. The truck feels quicker with a smooth acceleration. Has a nice whistle too. I need to buy a boost elbow so I can hook up the wastegate. I will update in a few months on how the turbo is holding up. I have some pics of the install but I cant figure out how to post them
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Re: HX35 install

Postby VanillaGorilla » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 am

A friend has the China knock off ebay hx40 on his VE Fummins, has seen 40psi for a couple years now and no issues. Good luck, looking to do a similar upgrade with my new found fuel
93 Reg cab LE 4x4 518AT, 145k and counting, pump turned up,Internal pump mods, Denny T stage 2, non IC DV's, timing bumped up, BD 40hp injectors,BHAF and me-built mandrel bent CAI,4" turbo back, Holley lift pump, new white with gold paint job, recieving more mods to tow the Duster and push this stupid WI snow.
VanillaGorilla
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Is your truck intercooled? It might not hurt to throw some sort of screen in the intake somewhere (somehow), just in case the compressor wheel explodes. Intercoolers usually do a good job of catching that stuff but the non IC'd truck will eat anything that fits through the grids.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby coolhand_luke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah, its intercooled. I'm not doing competition or pushing my truck to the limit just everyday driving. I'm expecting the turbo to hold up. I haven't read anything about these turbos failing, just speculation.
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am

I know the search feature blows here, but I know Hineman has posted up where he got his twin stuff. Turbo supply for the turbos. There's numbers floating around for HT3Bs and S475s.

AHineman wrote:The s475 you posted a link for is what I used for a primary as well, but I got it from http://www.turbosupply.net/ for $552 plus shipping a couple of years ago. It's part number is 171702. The S300g I got was $749 plus shipping at the time, IIRC. Part number 174430. Both of them together were less money than most S300 singles.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby coolhand_luke » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 pm

coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby brad_bibbee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Nice little write up but that little dp has gotta be choking that poor engine.
brad_bibbee
fuel pin?

Can I rotate my HX35?

Postby wilkyflex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello,
I just removed my blown H1C turbo on my 1992 D250 intercooled. I put on a used HX35W turbo. I bolted it up directly to my existing 12cm exhaust housing which has no wastegate. It bolts up fine with just one exception. The outside of the turbo intake (the part that says "Holset"), has a bracket that is part of the casting that sticks out about 1 inch, and this bracket interferes with a tube on the engine. Looks ike the tube goes to a small air tank.

The solution that I came up with is to rotate the center assembly of the turbo, relative to the turbo intake housing. t To do this I removed the large snap ring on the back. Tried to rotate, but would not rotate. When I pulled the assembly out, I found a small cotter pin sticking out from the very outside diameter of the center assembly. I drilled the same size hole (5/64") about an inch away from the original hold and moved the cotter pin to the new hole. Then when inserting the center assembly back into the housing, matching the cotter pin back into the slot on the housing.

The question is, that if I rotate the center assembly relative to the intake housing, does that affect the turbo's performance in any way?

Thanks
Dean
805-649-1599
wilkyflex
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 pm

You can clock a turbo however you see fit, as long as the center (cartridge) oil inlet and drain stay near vertical...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff