Bump Timing a tooth

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Bump Timing a tooth

Postby justuc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Ive searches 50+pages about moving the gear a tooth, my deal I can't find is when u remove pump turn timing gear one tooth then ur key ways don't match up, my question is then do you roll motor back to align keyways or do you turn the pump so they line up. Any help is appreciated
justuc
smoke screw?

Re: Bump Timing a tooth

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Either way....
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 pm

When John and I did it we verified the timing was at the stock position. We then rotated the timing gears till the key was at the 12'o clock position. Then we marked the gears with a sharpie. Then we pulled the pump, and jumped the tooth. While the pump was off we turned the pump shaft ever so slightly till we got the key way to line up. It was super easy. I know some people pull the pump in the full advanced position, jump the tooth, then slide the pump back on in the fully retarded position and it all goes back together smooth. We tried that, didn't work out for us so well. Everyone has there way of doing it, just find the most comfortable, safe way to do it. Image
Here's what to look for. And it's always good to have a helping hand when venturing into something new.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Luther Grimace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am

Sutter1stgen wrote:When John and I did it we verified the timing was at the stock position. We then rotated the timing gears till the key was at the 12'o clock position. Then we marked the gears with a sharpie. Then we pulled the pump, and jumped the tooth. While the pump was off we turned the pump shaft ever so slightly till we got the key way to line up. It was super easy. I know some people pull the pump in the full advanced position, jump the tooth, then slide the pump back on in the fully retarded position and it all goes back together smooth. We tried that, didn't work out for us so well. Everyone has there way of doing it, just find the most comfortable, safe way to do it. Image
Here's what to look for. And it's always good to have a helping hand when venturing into something new.

With one tooth advance where are you running your pump? I advanced mine one tooth and fully retarded the pump and timing seems too retarded?
Luther Grimace
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am

At stock timing gear marks and the pump fully to the head is about 2-3 degrees retarded from if someone were to advance one tooth on the gear and retard the pump all the way at the pump.

Another way to think of it.... one can advance about 8 degrees via pump movement, and can retard about 8 degrees via pump movement... the gear is 10 degrees.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff