i used a 4 oz ball peen hammer

i think the quality of the punch has something to do with it

they do go back in easier than they come out

dont they...
DTanklage
14mm rotor

Postby KBdiesel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:56 am

Begle1 wrote:
DTanklage wrote:dude, if you remove the top (that takes about what?, 5 mins?) all you do is put a socket or pc of pipe on the back side and knock one of the balls out with a punch. then you turn it over and hit it again and the other one falls out

then you pull the shaft, put it back in, tap the balls back in - and your done

That can be eaisier said than done. I pounded on my ball bearing for 20 minutes with a 4 pound sledge and punch before it even budged. I don't know how ball bearings can get that tight, but they can get wedged in there pretty good.

You definitely don't just tap them out. You gotta beat the crap out of them.

Damn, your lucky not to bust the top housing. I know mine were pretty easy to pop out, I used a small ball peen hammer too.
1992 W250
BHAF, 3200 spring, pumped tweaked, WH1C, 4" exhaust and Old Smokey pin
KBdiesel
fuel pin?

Postby Begle1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:22 am

KBdiesel wrote:Damn, your lucky not to bust the top housing. I know mine were pretty easy to pop out, I used a small ball peen hammer too.

That's what I was thinking as I was doing it; it quickly became an "escalating force" scenario. A few minutes with the ball peen lead to a few minutes with the claw lead to a half hour of increasingly harder whacks with the sledge, with half the time in between reassuring myself that I wasn't missing anything and that I was doing it right.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to The good stuff