intake temps

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

intake temps

Postby D-dog357 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I was wondering if anybody bothers to check intake air temps ??

I know it may sound lame but - Air temps dictate densities and the higher the temps the lower the density and HP will be. That's why we use intercoolers. It would seem to me that it would be a good idea to compare temps with each other as I've seen plenty of complaints about little gains from bigger sticks and turbos.

More hot air will not make more power only more heat. Less cooler air can make more power.

As you raise boost pressures you also increase air charge temps and can decrease charge density. The trick to max power for any given amount of fuel is to have enough oxygen to burn it all and that relates directly to air density not air pressure.

I know the big boys know this but maybe a refresher course for the nubies would be a good idea.
'92 ex-cab, A/T, 3.56, timing bumped 1/4" , 366 w/ fuel 1/2 turn past collar, smoke all the way out and a ported HX hot side. Airbox and core support drilled for more cold air.
A no budget work truck.
D-dog357
fuel screw!!!!

Re: intake temps

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Your on the right track as to what is important in making power. One day at RonA's shop he explained it to me as "you want volume, not pressure". Some people think the more volume the more pressure, and they are relative to each other. Well take a straw and exhale a deep breath through it. Hell of a lot of pressure, but the air isn't really moving. Now take the hose off of a shop vac and exhale a deep breath through it. Much better huh.
I've tried to apply as much of this in my build as possible (budget). I've gone to twins, 3" piping, and a larger intercooler. Something I've noticed is that the interstaged cold pipe(the pipe between turbos) gets really hot, and the charge pipe feed my intercooler is even more so. This could be fixed with some interstaged cooling. I've offer wondered if another air to air cold be fit somewhere, somehow. But it's not looking like it's going to happen. Now a nice little frozenboost setup as a interstaged cooler would work, it's just one more system to maintain.

One things for sure, I've noticed a increase in power every time the intake air is cooled, or kept cool after a fuel increase.
I personally could benefit from a larger primary, and if I talk myself into it, some type of interstaged cooling.
Last edited by Sutter1stgen on Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Or you can just run really huge injectors and a 14mm pump :D

450+deg here!
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Me?
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 am

I think most people over look it, just for the fact that one can get a "good idea" of things are where they are "supposed" to be by keeping one's turbo in it's efficiency range.

But larger intercooler, larger i/c tubes, larger filter, dual ram.......and such obviously make a huge difference.

I would agree it is an overlooked gauge that would in fact help one out later down the road.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:44 am

But wait! Joe Shmoe makes eleventy-billion HP with no IC, a stock intake feed-horn and cam.

Why can't I just dump in more fuel and over-spin my HX35?

:D
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 pm

BC, :lol:

Tim Worline added a small inline cooler between his turbo and IC. He said it dropped EGT's about 50*. I was thinking about getting one for my truck, but decided against it, I can use the $40 elsewhere. Plus I can add it in later if I want to. Here is a 3" one, http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 617be29310
The thing that made this so appealing to me is the frame to fender flap on my truck has an opening at the front where it drops down, I could fit a 3" pipe thru there to below the bumper to catch cold air and pipe it right on to the inline cooler. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Deathrod » Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 pm

PToombs wrote:BC, :lol:

Tim Worline added a small inline cooler between his turbo and IC. He said it dropped EGT's about 50*. I was thinking about getting one for my truck, but decided against it, I can use the $40 elsewhere. Plus I can add it in later if I want to. Here is a 3" one, http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 617be29310
The thing that made this so appealing to me is the frame to fender flap on my truck has an opening at the front where it drops down, I could fit a 3" pipe thru there to below the bumper to catch cold air and pipe it right on to the inline cooler. ;)

I doubt that short of a distance with the air moving through there as fast as it does will do much of anything. I course I have been wrong a time or two.

Someone needs to fab up a dual intercooler (one between turbos, one before intake)....think of the piping mess!
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:12 am

Deathrod wrote: I doubt that short of a distance with the air moving through there as fast as it does will do much of anything. I course I have been wrong a time or two.

Aluminum just does that. I remember Tacoclaw saying his EGTs went down when he was just running air through an air to water intercooler.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon May 13, 2013 6:55 am

Wether you have a egt problem or you looking for denser air, I think another intercooler would be nice. When I go to a larger set of twins, if I can't get my temps down successfully, I'll try a air to water cool, maybe. They have their benefits, but then again they can be a mess.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 am

I'm also thinking I may try to wrangle mine back in my system, pre blower.

I did have a slight EGT drop with just an empty a/w cooler, but it wasn't sustainable, once the aluminum got heatsoaked it didn't do anything. Having one hanging out in the air would prevent that, but you can only do so much with so little surface area.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am

PToombs wrote:BC, :lol:

I could be wrong, but I agree with Deathrod...... on that one.

Honestly, I would be too embarassed to put that thing on my truck....... because if I were to see that on another truck, I would immediately think "wow, this guy will fall for and buy anything"
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon May 13, 2013 11:01 am

I saved my factory I/c. I wish the outlets were side by side like a 6.4 powerstroke. I wold try and put at least some small amount of air to air interstaged. I'm sure it's been tried, and probably was a tubing,serviceability nightmare. Regardless I think a interstaged cooler would benefit, even if air to air, at least better than that finned aluminum pipe.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Rob_O » Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm

FWIW, an *intercooler* goes between stages of compression and an *aftercooler* cools the compressed air before it goes into the engine
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 pm

Dodge calls ours an intercooler............so I stuck with that.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Next

Return to The good stuff