Timing Case Identification?

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Timing Case Identification?

Postby Begle1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 pm

In order to convert to a P-pump, one requires the timing case off the front of the engine.

That would be this thing, correct?

How does one tell the difference between a case off of a P-pump model and anything else?

Thanks.

(And what's the gear that one needs?)
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:35 pm

I've got the cover, injection lines, and gear to convert to a p-pump. It's in my way. Make me an offer.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:05 pm

RumbleFish wrote:I've got the cover, injection lines, and gear to convert to a p-pump. It's in my way. Make me an offer.

You've definitely piqued my interest.

Truth is, I don't think I have a down-time period long enough to do that big of a job until the semester ends in early December (after which I have a month of downtime).

If I can find a new VE that I can trust enough to turn up, then I think I'd have to do that; but my torque converter is tight enough that it's hardly driveable at stock power levels, and I'm sure it would be totally undriveable since I have no first gear now. I doubt I could find a pump local that I could turn up to driveable levels without voiding a warranty; Murphy states I'd be stuck with a $700 DOA after 100 miles... I need to call around as soon as the local shops open and see what they say.

So if I can't find a pump that I could trust I'll have to find some alternate transportation to last me until December, under which case I'll be open to do a conversion.

In other words, I'll get back to you in a couple days.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:33 pm

No biggie. December is only a few weeks away. Let me know 8)
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:07 pm

why not just build a killer ve? so far i dont have alot of money in my killer ve build an should be makin some really good power. now the 13mm p pump and the injectors to go with it the cover case bolts gaskets lines pump gear and hassle of doin it seem kinda costly. i bought a complete core 190 hp p pump engine for what it would cost to do the conversion.
92 w250, NV4500, D80, maxed pump, AFC gone, extended fuel screw, more to come.
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm not entirely convinced about the reliability of the monster VE's. I've yet to be convinced about the reliability of a stock VE with full fuel screw, truth be told...

What is a "monster VE" comprised of apart from a 14mm head, anyways?

I found a place in town that said they'd rebuild it in a couple days with a one-year warranty and not care about the fuel screw. So I went that way.

So I guess I'm stuck with a real first gen for a while yet...
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:33 pm

Just so you know, yes, that is the timing case. If it's for a p-pump, it will have 4 studs, or holes for them. A VE only has 3. ;-)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby roxxx » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Begle1 I saw one on ebay if that isnt the one. I think puredeisel has one on their website for around 200 to 245 $ us or better yet phone cummins i wont risk a used one unless it has being x rayed for hair line cracks .
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/ ... p-961.html here is the link to the part on pure I do not know much about them but sure be cool if this is the right part
1992 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
4 Inch lift
Bilsteins shocks 5125
VE moderately molested
Dana 80
ultra wheel rims Type 164
ASA pipe BHAF 19037
Outerwears prefilter
A A nv4500
South bend Flywheel and clutch 13125-OK

Stock 1993 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
roxxx