Build recipe 91 IC truck

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm about to get into the engine build on Square D

I have been building the truck, actually more like restoring it with enhancements so far and documenting it all here:
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diese ... hread.html

I'm a duramax guy, but I sure love these old square Dodges and especially that Cummins engine.

I am not interested in pulling, racing, blowing smoke or much of the typical reasons folks play with these and other trucks.

THis truck and my 500+HP D-Max are being built to be "survival trucks"
They need horsepower simply to have some sprint away from danger capability. THey will probably be loaded with all sorts of junk so I usually plan around a "mission" gross weight.

I don't have a curb weight on the 91 yet, but I built the D-Max around 10,000 lbs curb weight. It sits @ 8700 at the moment (And it's still fast!)

Anyway, I did too many years in really bad places like Baghdad, Kandahar, and Kabul to name a few so I have a pretty good idea about what a vehicle needs to be able to do.
Running like a scalded dog is definitely important at times!

With all that in mind I plan to just get everything at once and do a marathon bolt on.

So far in prep I replaced everything that moves, wears, squeaks, rubs, chatters and flows or pumps something.

I added a 4" exhaust to the stock H1C.

I thought I'd:
bump the timing 1/8"
Buy a fuel pin
Adjust the fuel delivery screw
Add in a 3800 RPM spring (Want more RPM than the 3200 will give)
14 CM exhaust housing
60mm shiney side
Some injector???? (Minimum smoke)
Injector lines ?????
60 lb valve springs
Power stroke or 2nd gen intercooler
3" hot and cold side tubes
Lift pump

That is the start point. If I had to give it a HP number it would likely fall in the 400-450 range I'd guess. Normally I'd just P-Pump it and shoot for 600, but this truck is lightweight compared to it's big black fat brother, Mr. D-Max

To compliment that, I think I'll need to purchase a converter and maybe even freshen up the trans (46re) to maintain reliability.

I do all the searches and have read some, but I like to stir the pot and flush out the smart guys as well.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I (of course) recommend my piston lift pump. :lol:

As far as a fuel pin.... I strongly recommend the BD pin. That's what I use and the only one I have come across that isn't cut too deep.

Injectors? what kind of power are you really expecting? I would actually recommend pump tuning and do the turbo first and then see how your boost and egts are and decide if you want more fuel.

As far as turbo.... You might be cheaper to buy another turbo than put on a 60 cold side and buy an turbine housing.

Injector lines....waste of time

I/c....either will work. Powerstroke is usually less fab work. I run the 2nd gen cooler, so it can be done.

3" tubes - sounds great

60# springs - sounds great

Then lastly.... as far as injectors and turbo.... how much money are actually comfortable with spending on this truck?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:02 pm

The truck seems to be in really good condition

intercooled
3.54 gear (Just installed a locker in the rear)
Automatic
W250
6" lift kit
All new steering, everything from steering wheel to the tires, everything!
New hoses, belts, hardware, fluids, battery, cables, wiring, AC parts, electrical parts
Interior gutted, and completely renewed
Rear Dana 70 was shot, so I replaced it with a Ford Sterling 10.25" which I completely rebuilt
Brakes have been completely rebuilt, still in progress
Have to install new lines, eliminated the anti-lock junk
New suspension down to the bolts and nuts
Chassis and frame taken down to metal, treated, and painted
New motor and transmission mounts
All time worn rubber replaced
New 16 X 8 wheels and 285/75R16 Hercules DT tires
Converted to 9/16" wheel studs
GLO axle covers (Bullet proof)
Taillights, parking lights, all lights replaced
Headlights to be turned into HID's
Vehicle is in process of becoming OD Green, WW2 color inside/outside
New rear springs to eliminate blocks
Truck has been coated with Lizard skin (Ongoing process) to quiet it down
Underside of hood and inside of fenders yet to be completed
Diamond exhaust has been installed with double the number of hangars, all heavy duty

There's a ton of other stuff happen' on that truck, you'll have to check out the build thread to get clued in, but the readers digest version here is just saying, it is in pretty good shape and base lined back to near stock...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:10 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:I (of course) recommend my piston lift pump. :lol:

As far as a fuel pin.... I strongly recommend the BD pin. That's what I use and the only one I have come across that isn't cut too deep.

Injectors? what kind of power are you really expecting? I would actually recommend pump tuning and do the turbo first and then see how your boost and egts are and decide if you want more fuel.

As far as turbo.... You might be cheaper to buy another turbo than put on a 60 cold side and buy an turbine housing.

Injector lines....waste of time

I/c....either will work. Powerstroke is usually less fab work. I run the 2nd gen cooler, so it can be done.

3" tubes - sounds great

60# springs - sounds great

Then lastly.... as far as injectors and turbo.... how much money are actually comfortable with spending on this truck?

I'm fortunate enough not to have to focus on the money...I concentrate on the goal and go from there. I just won't compromise on what I need to buy or get, so if $$$ become an issue, I just don't do it.

I have 100K in my D-max. God has been very kind to me (other than saving my bacon numerous times down range). So much of what I have on that truck was simply donated to me.
I write the build threads and man are they ever followed!
The D-Max truck build thread is approaching a million views! The 12 valve thread which is only a month and a week old is approaching 100,000 views.

When I started on the "Combat-Max" truck a funny thing happened. A very large vendor contacted me and asked if he could donate what amounted to 5K in parts to do a particular project!

Some of that is already happening on the Square D project.

So I'd answer that question by saying, if there were no such thing as money, what would be the correct way to go?

I would still expect to hear, skip the fuel lines, they are not worth it, however definitely get a bigger muffler bearing and sniffer valve...stuff like that.

So let me check out what you have...Best place to start hunting is with folks who walk the walk!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17 pm

As far as combo (turbo to injectors)..... solely depends on how you want the truck to drive and how much power you are looking for. Do you want it smoke free? Ok to smoke, as long as it clears it up? Laggy ok? Want it super responsive? Want low end torque? Want top end power?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:56 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:As far as combo (turbo to injectors)..... solely depends on how you want the truck to drive and how much power you are looking for. Do you want it smoke free? Ok to smoke, as long as it clears it up? Laggy ok? Want it super responsive? Want low end torque? Want top end power?

Those, sir, are great questions!

I want the truck to be a great daily driver. I would like it to be able to ramble through urban traffic, cruise comfortably at 70-75 and be able to four wheel in low range down on my farm.

I want it as smoke free as possible. My D-Max idles and accelerates normally pretty much smoke free, but if I stand on it, then it produces something between hazing and the black clouds I see the cummins guys doing all over the place. I definitely do not want that.
I'd like the smoke to clear up, and haze as a maximum. However, comma, if the price to get to around 1000 ft/lbs is some smoke, then I'll pay that price

Laggy: NO, absolutely not.
I want it responsive right off idle then I'd like the power to build from there. To me, not knowing squat about this motor yet, that suggests a smaller exhaust housing and a bigger compressor, hence the 60mm wheel and the 14CM exhaust.

Low end torque will be important. Pushing through a pile of hyundais and Kias requires low end grunt :D

Top end power, well sure, but not at the cost of low end and a healthy mid range

Now that should get your gray matter stirrin'!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm

There is nothing you can do to make it drive like the newer computerized trucks.

However...... 1000 ft/lbs of torque is going to require compounds and a large set of injectors..... and it will definitely black out a freeway when you lay into it. That is a tall order on a non smoking ve pump.

If you back off the power goals.... a lot.

5x11 SAC injectors and a Super B turbo will describe that perfectly. But one will find themselves around the 325hp/750 tq.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:32 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:There is nothing you can do to make it drive like the newer computerized trucks.

However...... 1000 ft/lbs of torque is going to require compounds and a large set of injectors..... and it will definitely black out a freeway when you lay into it. That is a tall order on a non smoking ve pump.

If you back off the power goals.... a lot.

5x11 SAC injectors and a Super B turbo will describe that perfectly. But one will find themselves around the 325hp/750 tq.

Hugh, only 325hp with all that?
You're the expert, I can't argue, but I am surprised...
What about the fuel pin, gov spring, valve springs???
Any other pieces parts?
I like that fuel pump you sell, cool part
Would I also be needing Mr. Air Dog?
I would like to add in the sump (Have one on the chebby) and larger diameter fuel line up to whatever lift pump I end up with.

I guess the power figure is all relative...750 ft lbs in a 6,000 lb vehicle would roughly equate to the thousand I enjoy with the D-Max which weighs 8700.

Just cruised over your store...good parts.
I am not crazy about going to a new turbo, though. A exhaust housing at 150ish and a 60mm wheel at approx. 400, makes that turbo about half the price.

Again, I do not focus on price alone, however that seems like it would have me doing most of what you suggest while being a good steward of my $$$

We need to talk, when is a good time for me to call?
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:42 pm

I can be reached at any time (I prefer not after about 5pm pst, family time). But, the business line is my cell phone. It is hunting season....therefore if I do not pick up, I will call back shortly.

However.............weight vs hp/tq ratio is what makes the 1st gen trucks pretty sweet. A 300rwhp 1st gen feels like hell on wheels.

At that 325....I'm including all the "normal stuff" like fuel pin, gov spring, pump tuning, etc.

If one used the mechanical pump, that would be all you would need. No NEED for an electrical pump on a ve pump Cummins unless one plans on big numbers (p.s. no one has broken 500rwhp on a 12mm ve pump on fuel only yet).

As far as a new turbo....... it's not necessary.

It's just the 60/14 upgrades fall a little short of an he351cw (take off turbo off a cr dodge), which falls a little short on the super b.

Oh, and I'm not one to push new turbos on our trucks to say they need it. The hp number in my signature was done on an he351cw and stock injectors that had some love done to it.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:02 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:I can be reached at any time (I prefer not after about 5pm pst, family time). But, the business line is my cell phone. It is hunting season....therefore if I do not pick up, I will call back shortly.

However.............weight vs hp/tq ratio is what makes the 1st gen trucks pretty sweet. A 300rwhp 1st gen feels like hell on wheels.

At that 325....I'm including all the "normal stuff" like fuel pin, gov spring, pump tuning, etc.

If one used the mechanical pump, that would be all you would need. No NEED for an electrical pump on a ve pump Cummins unless one plans on big numbers (p.s. no one has broken 500rwhp on a 12mm ve pump on fuel only yet).

As far as a new turbo....... it's not necessary.

It's just the 60/14 upgrades fall a little short of an he351cw (take off turbo off a cr dodge), which falls a little short on the super b.

Oh, and I'm not one to push new turbos on our trucks to say they need it. The hp number in my signature was done on an he351cw and stock injectors that had some love done to it.

OK, I like it

Call you tomorrow or Montag.

Church tomorrow, and if it clears up some (Raining) some bush hogging...

I'm in Kentucky, EST, I'll try not to screw up a shot on a nice 10 pointer!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 pm

:D . I haven't been able to do much deer hunting yet this year as currently I am trapping coyotes in the mornings. But elk season for rifle opens back up next Friday...... and then all of Nov 10-20 muzzleloader for elk and Nov 10-30 is muzzleloader for deer.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 am

RCCUMMINS89 wrote::D . I haven't been able to do much deer hunting yet this year as currently I am trapping coyotes in the mornings. But elk season for rifle opens back up next Friday...... and then all of Nov 10-20 muzzleloader for elk and Nov 10-30 is muzzleloader for deer.

I used to hunt
And the game cameras down on my farm are showing a 150's ish 10 pt white tail, a non typical 9 pointer, two nice 8 pointers and a mess of spikes, four and six pointers...

All that time in Iraq and the stan has severely curbed my appetite for it. I just have zero desire to shoot anything anymore.

I need to work on that. Am still raising boys who need to learn that stuff...

On the more pleasant side

I am thinking out loud here

Why not P-Pump the thing?

No real limitations, right?

There is one in the paper here for $500. So I'd also need his front cover, the pump, lines, injectors, and what else???

I'll do my homework with a search, just thinking out loud...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:55 am

P pump...... :puker:

had too :lol:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 am

flyin6 wrote:

What part of Kentucky are you in? I'm up in Northern KY, Walton. If you can get ahold of him Brian Block aka KTACummins would be one to pic his brain. He pushed 488hp/11xx tq on a single in his tool truck. He is in central My and a mod here but haven't seen him on in forever.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:08 am

dazedandconfused wrote:
flyin6 wrote:

What part of Kentucky are you in? I'm up in Northern KY, Walton. If you can get ahold of him Brian Block aka KTACummins would be one to pic his brain. He pushed 488hp/11xx tq on a single in his tool truck. He is in central My and a mod here but haven't seen him on in forever.

I'm one town over...Verona!
I'm wearing a Walton/Verona shirt!

hoverjunkie@hotmail.com

Spent the last 1.5 hours reading about P-pump conversion

What was I thinking, must have gone temporarily insane...

OK, VE pump it is...

The biggest obstacle I am seeing with the VE pump is that it is cooled and lubed only with fuel, whereas the in line pump uses good old engine oil.

Makes sense that good fuel pressure and volume is necessary to make it happy.

I also know a fair amount about fuel lubricity, or more to the point, the lack of it with ULSD.

I use Optilube in every drop that the D-Max burns and am going to set up a WVO (as in vegetable) fuel plant down on the farm. I own a dozer and am getting ready to buy a cool old 953 Cat, so I have machines that are old school.

If the VE pump is lubed and cooled only with this crappy ULSD we all are stricken with, then so be it, run bio diesel, or converted WVO or optilube or a combo of all the above and keep the pressure and supply adequate to the task, and Mr. VE will run along just fine.

I found happiness in the knowledge that I can go to a 14mm watch-ah-ma-kall-it and fix my HP problems if I find 40oish to be a limit.

OK, I'm good! :wrench:
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to The good stuff