Build recipe 91 IC truck

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby coolhand_luke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am

If your doing OD green, it would be sweet to do your bumpers and trim the military beige. The 1st gens look best in two tone
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:12 am

coolhand_luke wrote:If your doing OD green, it would be sweet to do your bumpers and trim the military beige. The 1st gens look best in two tone

I definitely am doing two tones, but I have been giving some thought as to what the other color should be.
I mistakenly purchased two gallons of WW2 OD green, then later purchased two more gallons of the darker green which was used 1557 up through the 90's. So I was wondering what the grill would look like in the ww2 green, paint all the trim John Deere Blitz Black and have the majority in the darker OD semi-gloss.
I'll find out pdq since I just got a call from the chem stripper, the truck bed is done and ready for pick up, so painting that is coming right up!
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

Build is coming along well.
Bed is ready to be picked up from the chem strippers
Fabbed in a traction bar, rear battery mount, air compressor. and rear air bags.

Purchased a ton of engine parts including two turbos.
I'll be coming out of the shop with a S300 over the H1C which has a 14CM exhaust and a 60mm compressor. It will be fed with some custom injectors Gillette says are 120's. I need the exact stats on those...
I'm just going to do the engine all at once. Head ported and polished, O-ringed, studs, 3 piece manifold, power stroke cooler custom tubing, KDP and so forth.
Have the fuel pin, dynamic timing device, smoke control device, 3800 rpm spring, and some other junk sitting on the desk.

While all that is going on, I am doing the body, as in removing everything, down to metal, then repaint, OD green for now, then coming back with a wrap around uber strong bumper system for the jap and korean kars, a winch, oh and a coil spring front radius arm suspension.
The only thing out there to think out and build will be the trans, which I plan to do myself with all the best parts.

Even had a custom 3.5" heavy wall driveshaft built!

Daily posting on the build thread:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diese ... ost3886722
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:15 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on your radius arm stuff, I just bought some poly bushings to do (attempt)my own. Gonna use airbags though.

GL with your build!
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Stay close when I get into it. The radius arms I have are bent inward to allow the tire to turn even sharper and not hit the arm. I want this thing to pivot steer like an Abrams M1

You watching it on the build thread?
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Not following over there TBH, too many ads on forums like those. I'll stop by more often to see your suspension progress.

I haven't paid attention to what size tire you're running, but I can bind my u-joints with 35" tires before they even come close to the leaf springs. As long as your lower mounts are around that area you shouldn't have too much interference troubles unless your going real big.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:Not following over there TBH, too many ads on forums like those. I'll stop by more often to see your suspension progress.

I haven't paid attention to what size tire you're running, but I can bind my u-joints with 35" tires before they even come close to the leaf springs. As long as your lower mounts are around that area you shouldn't have too much interference troubles unless your going real big.

I just had a set of HMMV 37" MTR's delivered
Not following what you mean about binding your u-joints????
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm

The joints at the end of my axle, the ones that allow your tires to turn. I put a crossover steering on and I could easily turn until my u-joints started hitting the yokes of the axle and stub before I had any tire contact issues.

You can get your yokes clearanced to allow around 45* of steering angle, but it seemed to be a somewhat specialized process that people send axles out to have done.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Hitting will depend on the offset of the wheels. I've had 15" wide tires that don't hit, and I've had 12" tires that do hit. The VAST majority of new wheels don't have the proper offset for our old style of axles.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:The joints at the end of my axle, the ones that allow your tires to turn. I put a crossover steering on and I could easily turn until my u-joints started hitting the yokes of the axle and stub before I had any tire contact issues.

You can get your yokes clearanced to allow around 45* of steering angle, but it seemed to be a somewhat specialized process that people send axles out to have done.

OK, Understand...I know about that
I'm using Randy's ring and pinion 35 spline 4310 steel axles. I believe they have accommodation for more articulation
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:11 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:Hitting will depend on the offset of the wheels. I've had 15" wide tires that don't hit, and I've had 12" tires that do hit. The VAST majority of new wheels don't have the proper offset for our old style of axles.

Glad you brought that up
I'm about to re-center some HMMV wheels with some StazWorks centers. He makes a dished center that will get me 3.5" B.S on the hummer wheel which I believe is a 8.25" wide 16.5 wheel
Any working knowledge about those?
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:16 pm

flyin6 wrote:Any working knowledge about those?

Nope.... I've personally never even seen them. However, I've ran across a few threads in the past of guys using them.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:38 pm

That's a good point, RC. I'm using H2 wheels with 1.5" spacers. I'm jealous of you having cut shafts though, it would be awesome to have a 45* steering angle. 8)
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:That's a good point, RC. I'm using H2 wheels with 1.5" spacers. I'm jealous of you having cut shafts though, it would be awesome to have a 45* steering angle. 8)

I'm not sure what these axles are exactly, just some uber strong offering from Randy's...cost like $1200!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:05 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:
flyin6 wrote:Any working knowledge about those?

Nope.... I've personally never even seen them. However, I've ran across a few threads in the past of guys using them.

John Staz actually makes custom double bead-lock wheels in the 16.5 fitment along with the hmmv wheel parts.
I read a thread recently where the gentleman with a 1st gen hated the recentered army wheels. Said they were impossible to balance!
Not happy with hearing that. I don't know if the mil surplus wheels/tires will be the end all/be all. Very possibly they are only interim. I do recall those tires, well HMMV's in general were not great off roaders by any stretch of the imagination. The ones we had in the Armee were always stuck somewhere

BTW, that lift pump and line fit perfectly, I installed it already along with the renewed fuel system
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff