Build recipe 91 IC truck

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

flyin6 wrote:
BTW, that lift pump and line fit perfectly, I installed it already along with the renewed fuel system

:mrgreen: good to hear.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:55 pm

I believe a lot of folks are following the build over at the link I posted.

Updates:
I added: a second battery in the rear
Electric air pump
8 gallon water methanol tank in the rear frame section
Got the bed back from the chem stripper
primed it with Acid etching primer and sprayed epoxy over that
Have the coil spring front suspension stuff on property
Ordered and waiting for the new injectors
Ordered and waiting for the H1C 14cm housing and 60mm
Ordered and waiting for the S-300 for the compound setup

Coming up:
Rear bumper build
Radius arm coil spring front suspension
Front bumper build
Remove, strip and repaint fenders, doors, hood
Repaint cab
Pull and O-ring head
Valve job and port the head, 60 lb springs
Bolt in all the stuff for the pump sitting on my desk
OD green paint job
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Update:

Got the dual fuel and water/achy filler necks fabbed in. Next up is the body work and painting of the bed
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgebullit » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 am

Ive been following this truck for a while. I love it. I dont think its recommended to use an acid etch over any kind of chem strip because the chem strip screws with the chemical bond of the acid etch primer. I think you can use a metal prep to help prevent this but i would use epoxy over steel sanded with 40 grit and then top coat with a 2 part urathane primer for the best results. The epoxy uses a mechanical bond. PPG has an epoxy with some sort of acid etch so i believe it can use a chemical or mechanical or both. 8)
93 D350 dually box that dumps. Getrag, timing bump, ground pin, pump tweaks, intake
93 D150 with the light duty NV4500 and 360 magnum
86 ramcharger
Real trucks don't have glow plugs!!
dodgebullit
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 am

dodgebullit wrote:
Ive been following this truck for a while. I love it. I dont think its recommended to use an acid etch over any kind of chem strip because the chem strip screws with the chemical bond of the acid etch primer. I think you can use a metal prep to help prevent this but i would use epoxy over steel sanded with 40 grit and then top coat with a 2 part urathane primer for the best results. The epoxy uses a mechanical bond. PPG has an epoxy with some sort of acid etch so i believe it can use a chemical or mechanical or both. 8)

I hope you're not right about that!
I asked the owner of the chemical stripping company what he recommended, and he told me to either acid etch or use an acid etching primer!
There was some sort of chemical on the bare steel to keep it safe for a couple weeks, but I had to thoroughly wash that all off before proceeding. You saw that if you are watching the build thread. I noticed in one area that apparently I didn't get all of that stuff off, the acid etch primer acted "Funny." I sanded that yesterday and recoated.
Well, it's history now, it has all been acid etching primed, sanded, coated with a 2 part epoxy primer/sealer, and then coated with bedliner. The outside will get more of the epoxy primer, then top coated with the Gillespie OD green.
Are you a painter, or in the business?
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgebullit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 am

I just do it as a hobby and work on the side. Thats weird that they told you to use an acid etch. Ive just heard bad stories. I think you'll be alright since you washed it good. Another tip if you have any filler to lay. Lay it over epoxy. That way if moisture gets to the filler it wont rot the steel later on but make sure you lay it before the epoxy cures. Usually a 1 to 2 week period and no need to sand the epoxy because it uses a chemical bond it will hold better than filler over steel in my opinion
93 D350 dually box that dumps. Getrag, timing bump, ground pin, pump tweaks, intake
86 ramcharger
dodgebullit
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgebullit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 am

You'll know if it didn't hold properly if when you sanded it didn't feather well on the edge of the acid etch to the steel.
86 ramcharger
dodgebullit
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:38 am

dodgebullit wrote:You'll know if it didn't hold properly if when you sanded it didn't feather well on the edge of the acid etch to the steel.

Good info!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgebullit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:19 am

I don't mean to turn this into a body work thread but im curious. What kind of bedliner are you using im working on a coworkers truck and he just wants the rough finish on the rocker panels and then top coated with base and clear. I know they sell a few different aplications. Im looking for something i can spray with some sort of gun.
86 ramcharger
dodgebullit
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 am

dodgebullit wrote:I don't mean to turn this into a body work thread but im curious. What kind of bedliner are you using im working on a coworkers truck and he just wants the rough finish on the rocker panels and then top coated with base and clear. I know they sell a few different aplications. Im looking for something i can spray with some sort of gun.

The underside was a 2 part epoxy, not a urethane. Sprayed out with more "texture" than I am used to seeing.

In the past I have used Raptor. I plan to use that on the inside of the bed like I did in my chevy. It's smoother and wears like iron.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JD91 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:I can be reached at any time (I prefer not after about 5pm pst, family time). But, the business line is my cell phone. It is hunting season....therefore if I do not pick up, I will call back shortly.

However.............weight vs hp/tq ratio is what makes the 1st gen trucks pretty sweet. A 300rwhp 1st gen feels like hell on wheels.

At that 325....I'm including all the "normal stuff" like fuel pin, gov spring, pump tuning, etc.

If one used the mechanical pump, that would be all you would need. No NEED for an electrical pump on a ve pump Cummins unless one plans on big numbers (p.s. no one has broken 500rwhp on a 12mm ve pump on fuel only yet).

As far as a new turbo....... it's not necessary.

It's just the 60/14 upgrades fall a little short of an he351cw (take off turbo off a cr dodge), which falls a little short on the super b.

Oh, and I'm not one to push new turbos on our trucks to say they need it. The hp number in my signature was done on an he351cw and stock injectors that had some love done to it.

sorry to back track so far but is that part about nobody hitting 500hp on a 12mm fuel only true???
91 w250 RC, getrag, 4in turbo back diamond eye
93 D350 CC, getrag, 4in diamond eye, 60# springs,3200 gov,arp's,fass 150,fass sump, BD SUPER B 58MM, 5x14 sticks, M&H timing spacer, cut fuel pin,valair clutch, auto meter pyro & boost......she screams!!
91.5 d350 RC, getrag, cut fuel pin, no bed lol "the beater"
75 dodge club cab swb flat bed 4x4 "gasser" on 37's
JD91
fuel screw!!!!

Postby AHineman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 pm

yes
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby JD91 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm

well thats cool. I guess ima try my hardest to get there lol ;-) ;-)
91 w250 RC, getrag, 4in turbo back diamond eye
93 D350 CC, getrag, 4in diamond eye, 60# springs,3200 gov,arp's,fass 150,fass sump, BD SUPER B 58MM, 5x14 sticks, M&H timing spacer, cut fuel pin,valair clutch, auto meter pyro & boost......she screams!!
91.5 d350 RC, getrag, cut fuel pin, no bed lol "the beater"
75 dodge club cab swb flat bed 4x4 "gasser" on 37's
JD91
fuel screw!!!!

Postby AHineman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Everybody needs a goal. :lol:
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Few times folks have been VERY close....but regardless of the dyno no one has claimed 500rwhp. One guy has supposedly done it, but there was never any proof....nor was he on the forums to say he had done it. It was merely someone said that a guy did it at a dyno and that was about it. That number was like 523 IIRC.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff