Build recipe 91 IC truck

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Build recipe 91 IC truck

Postby PToombs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 pm

RC should know better by now! :lol: 25 posts before you can PM. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Anyone following the build thread over there

I am posting to it almost every night

Here's a link

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diese ... ost3468746

Working on reassembling the rear axle and reinstalling it into the truck

It is getting a bunch of mods including a complete rebuild, Locker, weld on shock mounts, U-Bolt Flip, block elimination, and a traction bar

It's coming out pretty nice!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Just went through the last few pages......... man, it is hard keeping up over there. :lol: 8)

For some reason, I thought that the pm post was 20 posts :roll: , I forgot.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:36 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:Just went through the last few pages......... man, it is hard keeping up over there. :lol: 8)

For some reason, I thought that the pm post was 20 posts :roll: , I forgot.

Got a lot more done today, you'll have to check out the build thread...
I upgraded to 9/16" studs in the front after having rebuilt almost everything. It looks practically new up there now. Matches that Purdy Sterling rear axle now!
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby coolhand_luke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Can you post a link to your duramax build? I'm impressed by the size of your thread over there. It's obvious those guys are thirsty for some classic Cummins muscle :) . Good choice by sticking with the VE. Go with a piston lift pump for reliability. Lots of good builds on here making different power in different ways. Can We get some pics over here?
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:19 am

coolhand_luke wrote:Can you post a link to your duramax build? I'm impressed by the size of your thread over there. It's obvious those guys are thirsty for some classic Cummins muscle :) . Good choice by sticking with the VE. Go with a piston lift pump for reliability. Lots of good builds on here making different power in different ways. Can We get some pics over here?

Sure happy to accommodate!

Here's the D-Max build thread...Sorta large...

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011- ... hread.html

I already added a piston lift pump, sump, 1/2" to 3/8" supply line and a filter/water separator to that fuel system
I'm building the truck an area at a time in what is becoming a total restoration with a ton of add-ons.
Right now I am almost done with the rear frame.
The bed is getting chemically stripped up in Cincannati. I rebuilt a Ford Sterling axle, added a locker, renewed and painted everything and bolted it in. I added a rear sway bar, bolted in new 6" skyjacker springs on all new hardware. I had a custom driveshaft built which is much stronger, rebuilt the brakes 12" X 3" dumped the RALB and ran all new fuel and brake lines. I dropped the tank, took the frame down to bare metal and repainted everything with a multi-process operation. I flipped the U-bolts and added custom lower shock mounts...You'll have to see all that here:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diese ... hread.html

The entire steering was rebuilt, new box, borgensen and so forth. King pin overhaul, pulled the front axle apart and rebuilt, all painted and pretty, armored diff cover, new brakes and so forth.

I gutted the interior, new headliner, repaired all the defective trim, dyed everything, repaired the rust (Minor) Lizard skin, new carpet, seal cover and so forth.

Added gages, a bunch.

On my desk beside me is a fuel pion, dynamic timing device, smoke control device, Banjo bolt delete kit. I have a 14cm exhaust housing and a 60mm wheel coming, and six injectors built by Gillett Diesel.

I will be adding a Power stroke intercooler, pulling the head for an O-ring, valve job, porting and polishing, and a 3 piece exhaust manifold. That's when I will modify the injection pump.

I am also doing body work as I go along. The truck is getting an inside/outside OD Green semi-gloss paint job, and I am recentering 5 HMMV wheels and will run the Armee 37" tires. I will also build a custom front and rear bumper that also replaces some of the fender and bed.

Anyway, I post up 50 pics a night and write 10 pages on Duramax forums and frankly, posting pics is just too difficult here, so I'd ask you to just go to the link there and participate

Best!
1991.5 RCLB 7" lift, 1" body lift, P-pump motor, cut delivery valves, 4K spring, ARP, 3.54, Sterling axle Lock Rite, 6" skyjacker 37" MTR's recentered HMMV wheels. Traction bar, boxed in frame, Hydro assist brakes, dual batteries, elec air pump, lift pump, extra filter, 3-piece manifold, Diamond 4", 4" driveshaft, X-over steering, isspro tach, EGT, boost, and more...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:21 am

Copy on those guys loving a classic Cummins. I mean who wouldn't! These have to be the ultimate in cool trucks. I think a built first gen is far and away mo-better than the other brands and latter gen Cummins...IMHO
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby coolhand_luke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah, the picture system on here is a little time consuming. I like your dedication to posting good pictures and fine details. Once I get a garage, I will start my 1st gen build. It will by geared towards modernizing the interior and some exterior things. It will also include a custom suspension system as well. Of course there will be plenty of time spent on building strong and reliable HP . Have you decided what you're doing with your turbo set up? I think a twin set up would do you good. I know there are a few good kits you can buy. There are a lot of kits For the 2nd gen trucks that would probably be easy to throw on too.
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flyin6 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 pm

coolhand_luke wrote: Have you decided what you're doing with your turbo set up? I think a twin set up would do you good. I know there are a few good kits you can buy. There are a lot of kits For the 2nd gen trucks that would probably be easy to throw on too.

Yes I have
I am rebuilding the center section of the stock turbo, adding a 14CM exhaust housing with a heat blanket, a 60mm compressor and bolt that on for now. Then within a few months, I will be adding a second turbo, a S300 and just create/fab the setup myself.
Concur, compounds belong on this truck. I will be adding about 1000-1500 lbs of bumpers/armor and so forth, so I'll enjoy the extra power to "motorvate" all the extra weight.

Tonight's pic posting will include day 2 of the traction bar fab/install
Enjoy!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:50 pm

If you need any help I'm off work tomorrow and could lend a hand.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 am

dazedandconfused wrote:If you need any help I'm off work tomorrow and could lend a hand.

No help needed, but I would like to meet you and offer you some quoffee!
Busy today and thanksgiving, freed up some on Friday and Saturday I think.

Have you looked over the build thread?

Need to pick your brain some on the transmissions. Thinking I want to build my A518 myself. Teach a man to fish and all that...
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:54 am

I've glanced at it a little. I haven't had time to sit down and look through it all. Oh and if you are using the Neapco conversion u-joint you may want to pick up a spare. I've ate 2 now in less then 10k miles. I'm going to change my driveshaft.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:09 am

dazedandconfused wrote:I've glanced at it a little. I haven't had time to sit down and look through it all. Oh and if you are using the Neapco conversion u-joint you may want to pick up a spare. I've ate 2 now in less then 10k miles. I'm going to change my driveshaft.

Not using it. Had a custom shaft built and found the right yoke! Have a 1410 on each end
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:09 am

Good to hear.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby flyin6 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:20 am

dazedandconfused wrote:Good to hear.

You need to check out that build thread.
This is shaping up to be a great little truck. Essentially new!
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff