Diesel Power Magazine 1st Gen build! (Part 2)

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Diesel Power Magazine 1st Gen build! (Part 2)

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:First thing I would honestly do is bypass the fusible links with fuses, put the headlights and key-on circuits on fused relays, and grease the hell out if all the bulb sockets. Then check every inch of wiring harness for chafing or potiental chafing.

Anything electrical, I'll think of more later. :lol:

B I N G O !!! There is a reason my truck has two fire extinguishers. My truck is a early 91' soni guess the wiring is a little different. Regardless I'm less then impressed with the wiring, and one say will rip it all out and start from scratch. I have a marine fuse box that I need to take time to install.

I'd go with the basic free stuff. And then I'd go with a suncoast converter, flex plate, and a shift kit from Transgo. Once you get the power through the drivetrain on a firstgen, the truck feels a lot better, no matter the hp level or goal.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby tampabayBill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 am

Right On ! All the standard stuff, then tranny,converter etc. as above. 16 year old girl needs a sound system. Don't forget gauges. For go power give her a set of 5x12's and a small set of twins ie hx35/hx55. That will give her a low 14 to high 13 sec. ride, 20 mpg, tow what ever she wants and stay cool. Almost forgot lift pump and to make it smooth and quiet a fluid damper.
93D250 CC LE, 62/65/13 S300, PDR cam,DDP3's, B&D IP, 366 GSK, M3 & timing device, Air Dog 150, Cooler tubes, 3 piece manifold, BHAF & 4" tbe, ported & O ringed, ARP studs, 60# springs 47RH & 3 disc conv., fp, aux trans cooler, fluid damper, 3:54 D70 w/trac-lok, rear sway bar, gauges = egt,boost, tach, 47RH & diff. temps.
Twins coming soon!
tampabayBill
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 am

Bill how are those twins working out for you?
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 am

Yeah, I think some of you guys just read the title and didn't see who the truck was for. I'm sure the dude's daughter won't mind when daddy and his friends disappear with her only means of transportation for weeks at a time to do turbo tests. :lol:

I'm thinking interior mods(seat swap, stereo and speaker install, gauge face refresh, stuff like that) possibly a spring/shock comparison of sorts to get her the ride height/quality she wants, a write up on the best ways to clean up a truck with 200k miles to satisfy a girl, stuff like that.

I don't think she's gonna be latching it up to 20k lb goosenecks and rolling posis away from the stoplights, guys.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 am

Good point with ride quality. I vote a something cheap and effective. But power is definitely needed in today's world, because at stock hp you start to become a freeway traffic hazard.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:15 am

I think just basic pump mods and a good torque would let a 2wd 1stgen keep up with traffic just fine. Admittedly, mine was a non-IC, but just pulling the high idle screw and swapping linkage holes let me do over 80 with a 727. I could get there plenty fast and with just a takeoff puff then grey haze with the stock turbo too.

I bet a 12cm housing swap with ported 'gate would have made it about perfect, minus not having overdrive for cruisin up there. I also dunno about a shift kit, maybe if there are plans for a couple drag strip runs or something, but I doubt she's wanting any firmer of a shift. God knows I've lost a few drinks off my dashboard due to a little too rough of a shift. :lol:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Deathrod » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am

Throw a shift kit in there, that's cheap and easy, and of course a converter if they want to take it that far.
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:I think just basic pump mods and a good torque would let a 2wd 1stgen keep up with traffic just fine. Admittedly, mine was a non-IC, but just pulling the high idle screw and swapping linkage holes let me do over 80 with a 727. I could get there plenty fast and with just a takeoff puff then grey haze with the stock turbo too.

I bet a 12cm housing swap with ported 'gate would have made it about perfect, minus not having overdrive for cruisin up there. I also dunno about a shift kit, maybe if there are plans for a couple drag strip runs or something, but I doubt she's wanting any firmer of a shift. God knows I've lost a few drinks off my dashboard due to a little too rough of a shift. :lol:

When done right the factory sloppy shift can become a positive one. I'm not recommending a hard or bang box shift. But it is a truck, and most people don't buy them unless they are going to be used that way. And the factory shifts are not set up for longevity.
If the gal didn't need a truck, maybe we wouldn't even be asked a opinion as to what she needs, for all I know she could have got a corolla.
Thats why I suggested earlier for the free stuff first, then upgrade the trans. A lot of people throw a bunch of hp stuff on with a factory converter, when in fact they'd be more than happy with what they have free wise, with a more efficient converter.
Not trying say who's right or wrong here just my opinion.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby coolhand_luke » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah, like I said before, more of a cosmetic approach would be better if she is a normal 16 year girl. Girls care about things looking good . Power comes later down the list of needs especially since she is probably a new driver. I think an interior revamp would be an awesome thing to see. Maybe JQmile can clue us in on what kind of girl she is and what she wants.
coolhand_luke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Back to back turbo testing on a dyno I'll agree isn't a good idea, but maybe swapping different size housings, wheels, cartridges, and whatnot and let her run it for a Few weeks or months. Who knows maybe the horsepower bug will bite her, but if not cosmetics and safety
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 pm

I think a write up on fixing some of the major 1stgen electrical gremlins would save a lot of headaches. Stuff like the wiggling volt gauge, the starter relay on the driver's fender, roughly how the speedometer works, what all the ECM controls and how it gets its info to make it happen. I think that would be handy stuff to do and document on a truck for a new driver.

The basics of PM on the truck, from checking for cracked A-arms to knowing the balljoints thread in, stuff like that. We all know dude isn't going to send his daughter out in a rolling coffin, may as well help other people learn what's up as well.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:I think a write up on fixing some of the major 1stgen electrical gremlins would save a lot of headaches. Stuff like the wiggling volt gauge, the starter relay on the driver's fender, roughly how the speedometer works, what all the ECM controls and how it gets its info to make it happen. I think that would be handy stuff to do and document on a truck for a new driver.

The basics of PM on the truck, from checking for cracked A-arms to knowing the balljoints thread in, stuff like that. We all know dude isn't going to send his daughter out in a rolling coffin, may as well help other people learn what's up as well.

Good idea.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:33 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:
Tacoclaw wrote:I think a write up on fixing some of the major 1stgen electrical gremlins would save a lot of headaches. Stuff like the wiggling volt gauge, the starter relay on the driver's fender, roughly how the speedometer works, what all the ECM controls and how it gets its info to make it happen. I think that would be handy stuff to do and document on a truck for a new driver.

Good idea.

uh study a Chilton manual or fsm,that's how I've learned......mostly

There are however tricks and hard learned tips that would be most needed
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Remps » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 pm

ABS bypass, slotted rotors, and some good brake pads, piston LP, all the free pump mods with fuel screw to the collar to start with, maybe hone and repop stock injectors, intake, exhaust, pyro, fuel pressure, converter, flex plate, line pressure adjustments and maybe a shift kit, paint, stereo, interior.
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Just got a good baseline.....truck felt strong until about 30mph, then....well....19.1 at 70.5mph in the quarter. Ouch. On the other hand, it was over 20mpg at 65mph. Also took the OD off and floored it, and maxed out at 71mph, or about 2700rpm. Going to mess with the linkage and see how many rpm we can get without taking the pump apart, I hope over 3K. With an OD, still has plenty of top end. Anyways, only update for now.
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to The good stuff