¡Blown head gasket!

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

¡Blown head gasket!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Oops I did it again! Out here in California it can get pretty cold. As I've had to explain to some other members that the state is not "one big beach, with palm trees." My truck on a two hour road trip would not warm up completely, so I knew I should take it easy on it when it came to the head gaskets sake. I have studs, and my boost is about 52psi, 47psi ksb on. I pulled into my driveway Friday night and notice quite a bit of water dripping. Sure enough, I blew my head gasket. I've already called around to a few shops and found a local guy to deck, and O-ring my head.

Here's the big question, what do you guys recommend I do as far as porting?? I already plan on gasket matching the exhaust side, maybe not quite all the way though. The t3 flange will be opened up a bit, manifold and turbine housing side. I've seen some pics of guys adding a little swirl, or smoothing the swirl out a little bit in the bowl.
I've never messed with any of this stuff before , but I had no expirience before I dove into a auto Trans as well.

Do you guys think I'm better off leaving the intake side of things alone??

Any thoughts, pics, or personal advice would be welcomed.

Eric
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Re: ¡Blown head gasket!

Postby m880cummins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:47 pm

You will see some pretty good results from smoothing out the intake and exhaust pockets. They have a nasty step on the under side of the valve seat. Get rid of the step and smooth out the ramps in the pockets.

Charlie
1977 M880 Cummins 5 speed SOLD :(
1985 Crew cab Cummins P7100 NV4500 D60/D80
SUNY Maritime Class of 2017!
m880cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank you. I talked with my old time hot rod uncle, he said to bring it by his shop and to let him look at it. He knew his stuff back in the day, and I figured it be nice to have someone who knows there stuff this me a bit. He's never worked on diesel stuff but what could it hurt.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby 93flatbed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Don't loose all the swirel in the pockets. Look at at the big blue build thread. Lots of pictures!

California ain't cold! It was 79 here today. I had to put socks on with my flip floops, burr!
93 W250. Waiting on EFI live to come out with a ve version.
93flatbed
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Lol. Heater got up to Luke warm temp only way to the foot hills. It was a couple of weeks ago, week of low temps.

And thanks
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Well aren't you lucky. It was damn near -40 here a couple weeks ago. Considering how cold it was some of the times I got on my 93 I'm surprised I never blew a head gasket. Then again I only ever made 40psi of boost and with the s300 I couldn't floor it from off boost or the clutch would slip
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:56 pm

I think lack of block temp was the killer this time. I'll be extra careful in the future.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff