93 w250 aka The Roo Hunter

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: 93 w250 aka The Roo Hunter

Postby DMan1198 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Picked up the primary feed line I had made 21 days ago today. Now I just have to get my cold pipe, and ic pipe sealed up, and painted, and I'm ready to try starting it
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby 9312v » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:15 pm

That is the one thing I wished I had done was paint my housings or got them coated. Sounds like you're making progress. looking forward to seeing it running!
93 w250, 366 spring, BD pin, 5x12 Injectors from Eric, nv4500, super B, high volume low pressure LP, PS I/C
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 am

I got my coldpipe done last night, so I just have to finish up the ic pipe, and I'll be able to give it a shot this days off. Hopefully my ip isn't pooched, and she'll fire off with just a new battery.

I do need to find another wh1c or hx35 to use though. With the cracks in this one I don't want to risk taking out 2 turbine wheels for too long
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:51 pm

OK updating in here finally. February 10th I went out to my parents place with my completed piping, put the setup together minus a couple small things (namely the boot for between the cold pipe, and the secondary), but since the feeds, and drains were in place I could give starting it a shot, so with the battery from my dads tractor hooked up, and me standing in front with my camera ready. Unfortunately for me the truck fired so fast I missed the truck cranking, and firing.
https://youtu.be/sEDxyB9vPoo

The truck didn't actually move until February 12th when I went back out with what I'd forgotten on the 10th, and we dragged the truck through the snow I wouldn't be able to make it through since I don't have a front driveshaft mounted up (and still don't actually though it's in the passenger footwell)
Then it was a 20 minute "shakedown" run to my brothers work, and I changed the engine, and transmission oil, put the speedo gears back in the t-case, modified my afc top by grinding down that lip, and put in the stiffer afc spring from Eric. Due to procrastination I didn't finish my downpipe (and due to lack of access it still isn't done either)
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Around the middle of February I grabbed the intake horn from the 94 engine sitting in pieces in my dads shop, cut the leg off of it, smoothed the outside, made the inside a little less rough, drilled & tapped 2 1/8"npt holes in the back, and hit it with my gold, and red.

I also added a 20" lightbar I had laying around since the truck already has the wiring to run bumper lights, and the stock headlights are pretty awful.
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:14 pm

And yes I have mismatched tires front to back because I needed tires that were the same size, but didn't have the money to buy new ones, so those were all fronts when they first went on (the rears are fairly terrible despite being labelled a winter tire, and having studs)
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Figured I might as well give this thread an update. 2nd gen horn went on a while back. no idea if it made any difference at all since my pyro was non functional at the time.
The next thing was getting my boost gauges hooked up, so after spending $20.05 on air line, and fittings I relocated my overall gauge to my overhead pod, trimmed the sides of the pod to get the visors to work, plumbed the line from my cold pipe, wired them in, and mounted them up. overall with my pump settings, and injectors I'm seeing ~44psi overall, and 30psi from the 467. I'm slightly peeved that the two boost gauges backlighting doesn't match, but I'll live with it.
To add a measure of convenience I pulled the stock afc plumbing off my afc top, tapped the top to 1/8"npt, plumbed some 1/4" air line, and stuck it all back together. Also turned the star wheel down a little bit since I didn't think I was getting right to the full fuel part of my pin. Doesn't look like it made any difference, but it's not really any dirtier down low.

The issue with my pyro was the thermocouple pins in the connector were not going in far enough, so there was no signal getting to the gauge. I added some extra length to the pins, and she's back in working order. WOT egts with the gate fully open all the time were 1350*, and 9-1100 just cruising. With the gate tightened up a bit I'm getting some decent response, cruising egts dropped to 7-800*, and WOT egts are down to 1200*.

Then I wired in my fuel pressure gauge. It was very straightforward since I'd put the necessary fittings, and the sensor itself into the line when I put my fuel system together, so it was just pulling the sensor wires through the firewall, putting them back in the connector, and splicing into my pyro wiring, and voila, working fuel pressure gauge. Pressure holds steady at 18psi, and pulls down to ~15psi at WOT.
While my brother was cleaning out the gutters I took the opportunity to snap a picture from an angle that rarely gets seen. the top.
And before we left for my nieces birthday party I snapped a shot of both my heaps.
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Did some videographical testing of just how quick my setup spools now that the gate stays closed for a bit. I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm used to my 600hp 6.7, but this truck feels kind of slow.

http://youtu.be/su_F2kyiLOw
http://youtu.be/SGoQCIA7MZs
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Yea........My ramcharger feels like a stock 1st gen now. I feel there is something wrong with it. A dyno will show the truth.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Man that's no fun with all that's in that new engine Eric. I hope you can figure it out, and have the beast I was expecting it to be.

On a functional note The Roo Hunter is now back to being 4wd, has a washer bottle again, and isn't leaking (so badly) anymore. It had an entire space on the t-case back cover where there was no silicone, so naturally it leaked everytime I drove it, and the fitting on the filter head didn't have a thick enough o-ring, so it didn't seal very well.

As a sort of silly note when I put my front driveshaft back in the power went out at my parents place shortly after I put the truck up, so I wasn't able to get much done. The plan was to put my 3800 spring in, but with truck being stuck on the hoist, I napped for a while, and when the power finally came back on sometime after six, and me not wanting to dig into the kind of project the gov spring is I opted instead to take 8 1/2" of steel, bend it a bit, and install my washer bottle on it. I might need to add some more material to it to give it more lateral stability, but it'll work as it sits.

Now, since my speedometer quick working, my immediate thought being the plastic gear that goes on the t-case output, but alas when fixing the leak I checked it, and it's just fine, so it's something else, possibly the piece that changes the signal from mechanical to digital. I still can't afford to fix it, but at least I don't have to take the output off to fix it now.
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:04 pm

She's back together again after painting the hood, cowl, washer nozzles, and wiper arms. I messed up a bit in one spot, so I'm not real happy with it, but I'll just run it until I can get the equipment to really do it right. I also pulled the bench out to test fit one of my 2nd gen seats. Before I put the bench back in I put some rust converter on the rust spot by one of the holes, then pulled back the carpet by the pedals to do the same with rust that's under there. I was a bit late with the spot directly in line with the park brake as there's a hole in my floor there.

I'll upload the pictures once I get a decent shot of the truck back together.
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to The good stuff