acting weird after new lift pump

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

acting weird after new lift pump

Postby mitchk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 pm

So i ordered the low pressure piston lift pump from the hungry diesel and i got it on last night and now its been acting kinda weird. Last night wen i started it it took the usual couple cranks to start cause it had been sitting a few days but for about 30 sec or so it was only idling at around 500rpm. i didnt touch the throttle or anything and just let it idle till it smoothed out and got to a normal idle. I drove it back to school from my garage and it seemed fine. didnt get on it any though cause it was pretty cold. today i went out and wen i tried to start it it cranked over for a little while and nothing. then it started to fire and die. it did that about three times till it finally went and it didnt seem too happy. real rough at first then smoothed out. I took it out for a little rip to see how evrything was working and it doesnt seem to have much top end. the whole reason i got the new pump was because i filed down the bleed screw and drilled out the banjo bolts and it would lose all power around 1400 rpm with the stock pump. Now it feels around the same as it did befor i did all that with the stock pump but i can definetly notice its getting way more fuel on the bottom end and doesnt seem to be getting much on the top end. dont know if i just need to mess with my pump set up a little. mabey back the smoke screw out a little to keep the low end fuel down a bit. it almost feels like its flooding it on the bottom end but then doesnt have much on the top end. i was also expecting a little more rpm after drilling out the banjo bolts but it still only has power to about 15-1600 rpm. sorry for the length, just trying to make sure i get everything down. thanks, mitch
Daily: 91 d350 727 gear vendors over drive, 3/8 feed line, THD lplp, maxed pump, Denny t 2, timing to head, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, arp studs, 60 horse injectors?(po), THD bahf, s362sxe

Project: 93 w250 5 speed, ground stock pin, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, THD lplp, intercooled compressor non intercooled turbine, diamond eye 4 inch, custom intake, south bend hd single
mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Re: acting weird after new lift pump

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 pm

The hard starting tells me that there is probably a leak in one of the connections somewhere. This will allow the system to drain back between the lift pump and injection pump. Have seen this problem one more than one occasion and so far every time it has been a leak somewhere.

As far as the fueling.... How is your linkage adjustments? What have you done to the pump? Losing power as low as 1500 rpms.... Makes me think governor set up or linkage.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Sounds like two things, one being a air leak somewhere allowing drain back. Second is a restriction. If you were losing power at upper RPM's as before, and still have the same issue, sounds like a supply/restriction issue. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Have you got fuel from any place that you usually don't get fuel?
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm

I wonder if it's sucking air before the LP, it could be sucking air instead of fuel at high RPMS causing the power loss.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Very well could be. How did you connect the fuel line to the pump? Does it still have the factory plastic lines? It could have kinked and split just enough right at the lift pump connection. That or the push on connection at the lift pump is sucking air, O-ring could've got boogered up...??
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm

i think i found the problem but not 100% sure. I backed out my smoke screw all the way just because its way to smokey down low and while doing that i dropped one of the washers for the banjo bolt going into the AFC. while looking for that i found another washer buried in the snow that turned out to be for the bango bolt with the bleed screw in it. Lucky i was parked in the same spot. I put that back on but then it still didnt want to start. I bled it like normal and there seemed to be some air coming out cause it was bubbling. I havent changed my fuel filter in a while so i put on a new one and then bled that and it seemed fine. no bubbles. cranked a couple times then started. I drove right to the gas station to fill up since it was pretty close to empty and when i went to start it again to leave it kinda stumbled and idled down for a sec then was fine. i got on it a couple times and it definetly seemed better but still not much top end power. revs a little higher but still not much power after around 1600 or so. hard to tell while watchig the road. one other thing was when i put the lp on the line coming off the top going to the filter was kinda wedged up against a plastic cover on the side of the block so while i was tighenting it down i may not have tightened enough to seal the line. im probably gonna cut it tommorow to give the line more room. also ill probably thrown some thread sealer on that fitting that screws into the pump allowing the inlet line to screw in.

As for the pump setup smoke screw is out to where it doesnt touch the fuel pin. Fuel pins turned to the deeper side. star wheels bottomed out and not sure on the power screw. cap was off when i got the truck so probably turned a little and i turned it about another 90*

could just be me but it pulls real good until about 1600 and then dies out. itll rev to probably around 1800 befor i shift but its just going. theres no power. still need to put the 3200 spring in but im gonna do what i said befor and see if it changes anything.

thanks for the help
Daily: 91 d350 727 gear vendors over drive, 3/8 feed line, THD lplp, maxed pump, Denny t 2, timing to head, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, arp studs, 60 horse injectors?(po), THD bahf, s362sxe

Project: 93 w250 5 speed, ground stock pin, #366 spring, 60# valve springs, THD lplp, intercooled compressor non intercooled turbine, diamond eye 4 inch, custom intake, south bend hd single
mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Positive your tach is working?

I'd still look at linkage... if you aren't getting full travel (also is your high idle screw still in), it'll be like having a much lower than stock governor spring.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby BILTIT » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 am

I had to cut the insulation on the tappet cover for the line to fit. I don't think it would fit without and you may have kinked the line?
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm

BILTIT wrote:I had to cut the insulation on the tappet cover for the line to fit. I don't think it would fit without and you may have kinked the line?

Very well could have. I'd be checking there. Does it rev all the way up to 3k or so or is it 1600 rpm's and won't rev any more?
Ike

CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Sorry. dont know if i was just being stupid yesterday or just not paying attention but when i put a 1 in the rpm i ment to put a 2.

Anyways, i just took the lp off and went over everything. The inlet line doesnt seem to have any cracks in it or anything. I snugged up that fitting that the inlet line screws into a bit more cause i noticed it was unthreading out of the pump instead of the line unthreading out of it wen i took it off. I cut that plastic to give the outlet line some more room. also checked that to make sure it wasnt kinked or anything. i also noticed what ever the fuel filter screws onto that has a plug on it had loosened a bit so i took the filter off and snugged that up. made sure evything was nice and tight. those compression fitting always scare me the first time cause i always feel like im gonna strip it while making sure it compresses and seals. i also backed the high idle screw out a bit. not all the way but till its just sticking out mabey a 1/16 or so. was too lazy to unscrew it all the way. I drove it and it started a little better. still took a few cranks but didnt want to die at first like it was. When i drove it it seemed better. It still doesnt have much power after about 2600 or so and itll rev to just under 3 but its just going. no point in reving it that far cause its not pulling any. Its still real smokey down low but when the turbo spools theres almost no haze at all. could just be me expecting a little more out of it but it seems ok now. the hard starting was what i really didnt like. Still need to put the 3200 spring on and im guessing ill notice quite a difference then. thanks.

and big thanks RC for the parts and help. nice to order stuff from someone and then have them personally help out when ur having problems. cant wait to get everything else on it.

mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm

You're pretty much there at 2600. Make sure the throttle arm is getting full travel, may help a bit. These pumps defuel at/around 2700rpm stock, and 3k max.
Ike

CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm

With a stock governor spring... You'll have basically no power past about 2400 rpms.

If anything is leaking between the lift pump and injection pump, it will start poorly.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby mitchk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Ye. Sorry about making it seem a lot worse befor with the mis typing. Figured I was pretty close with where it was losin power just thought it have a little more after drilling the banjo bolts.

Just started it after letting it sit since I drove it befor and it started right up as usual so I got it. Now just need to make sure im getting full throttle travel and put the gov spring in and actually get some top end. Thanks for the help

mitchk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Make sure the throttle lever on the pump isn't hitting the fuel line. Mine was and lost me about 1/4 inch of travel. Woke it right up fixing that! 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff