aftermarket fuel pressure regulator return line or not

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

aftermarket fuel pressure regulator return line or not

Postby cumminsfarmer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 pm

I have sumped the tank I have 1/2 line a fass 95gph pump I got for free. I want to run a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator . my question is should I run one that has a fuel return line or not? Its raises fuel pressure 1psi for 1psi so I'm thinking about running a bleeder on the boost line to bleed air off so I can get .25-.5psi of fuel per pound of boost. Any help is appreciated I tend to ramble when it comes to first gens
89 w350 srw 92,000 orig miles. built 47rh swap, he351cw, 5x16's, sumped tank, 1/2" lines custom fuel system. Pump maxxed, Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 355gsk, powerstroke ic.
Sold-91.5 4x4 auto intercooled . Tweaked pump,Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 2nd gen pump kit, pot mod, 4 inch turbo back, he351ve custom controller
cumminsfarmer
fuel pin?

Re: aftermarket fuel pressure regulator return line or not

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Why not just get the 15psi spring for the FASS and not use the regulator?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cumminsfarmer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm wanting to keep case pressure up in the pump in the higher rpms . so was thinking raising fuel pressure with boost I may be able to keep it close to 15
89 w350 srw 92,000 orig miles. built 47rh swap, he351cw, 5x16's, sumped tank, 1/2" lines custom fuel system. Pump maxxed, Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 355gsk, powerstroke ic.
Sold-91.5 4x4 auto intercooled . Tweaked pump,Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 2nd gen pump kit, pot mod, 4 inch turbo back, he351ve custom controller
cumminsfarmer
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Pressure drops because of lack of supply. The FASS should supply plenty if you have a big enough line to the IP. They usually come with 1/2 inch lines if you get the kit, so that should be plenty of fuel.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:32 pm

It has been my experience that, yeah, you need a bypass type regulator so as to ensure a constant/minimum flow of fuel through the electric fuel pump as that flow is what cools the pump's motor. ;) And, you need to size the return line just as large as the supply line as a minimum. One size larger would be ideal.

- My OEM fuel pickup module is somewhat modified.
- I've a Walbro 392 pushing from the frame-rail next to the tank's pickup, into the OEM fuel filter in the head, into an Aeromotive boost referenced bypass type regulator, and finally into the IP.
- All the fuel supply plumbing is 6AN (3/8" ID).

At one time, I had the regulator's bypass return line simply Tee'd into the stock/OEM return line (5/16" OD).

- It supplied fuel just fine at the time. The problem was; At WOT, if I side-stepped the throttle, fuel would spit from the regulator's case O-ring (a result of the spike in supply pressure when I quickly got off it).

To fix that, . .. now . . .

- I've a 6AN return from the fuel pressure regulator's bypass.
- I've a 4AN return from the IP.
- I've a 4AN return from the fuel injector's return rail.
- The above three returns play into a small aluminum fuel manifold (adjacent to the battery).
- The above manifold has an 8AN return headed back toward the fuel tank.
- Just ahead of the driver's rear tire, in the fender space, there's a fan assisted fuel cooler. (IIRC, it's actually 10AN bushed down to 8AN).
- The above plays back into the modified fuel pickup module (8AN).

No more fuel spitting from the regulator. ;)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby cumminsfarmer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:05 am

Thank you! Ordered the regulator with return line. Hopefully get it all together soon as I get intercooler piping
cumminsfarmer
fuel pin?

Return to The good stuff