bep .70a/r housing

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

bep .70a/r housing

Postby v8coupe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:45 pm

I've used these on other projects before with great results, was wondering if it would be too small of a housing. Should be fairly close to that of the hy35. I'd have a large gate on it so creep and spiking shouldn't be a problem. Would have an 8 blade 56mm hx35w in it.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Re: bep .70a/r housing

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:30 am

It is about the same as 12. HTT, Industrial Injection, and myself... all run the .70 in our "12cm" housings.

Not sure why you would want to get away from the stock hx35 housing?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:It is about the same as 12. HTT, Industrial Injection, and myself... all run the .70 in our "12cm" housings.

Not sure why you would want to get away from the stock hx35 housing?

I want to get away from the internal waste gate of the stock hx housing. It will not flow enough later and I'd like slightly better response. I know holset now offers the hx35 in a 10cm housing.

I'm just worried about boost creep I have a friend running an Hx40G in this housing and he will climb from 45-50 psi with the wastegate wide open. Granted his is in a gasoline engine, but still his engine is only 2.2L.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 am

Then save yourself some money and run your stock gate PLUS an external gate. Then you'll have nearly twice the gating capability and save yourself a bunch of money in the process.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:Then save yourself some money and run your stock gate PLUS an external gate. Then you'll have nearly twice the gating capability and save yourself a bunch of money in the process.

the 50mm gate I plan is more then enough as is. Also I'd like a V band housing to make hot pipe and downpipe work easier just never been a fan of the stupid hx35 wg exit. I'd have to buy a wastegate actuator and such for my hx35 and it just doesn't seem worth it to have to buy the dp flange for the WG housing and an actuator.

cost is about the same I'd like better spool and more easy of install/fab work.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Has he "ported" his 'gate out any? Or drilled through the divider?

The 'gate only reliefs the rear three cylinders, the front three can continue to produce boost of they're putting out enough volume.

I would also think that you could open a stock wastegate hole out to better than double what they are stock if you drill it right to the edge of the flapper.

I didn't have any boost creep with a 12cm housing on an H1c with 5x14 injectors at 3200rpm. It stopped wherever I set it with an electronic switch and valve.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am

Tacoclaw wrote:Has he "ported" his 'gate out any? Or drilled through the divider?

The 'gate only reliefs the rear three cylinders, the front three can continue to produce boost of they're putting out enough volume.

I would also think that you could open a stock wastegate hole out to better than double what they are stock if you drill it right to the edge of the flapper.

I didn't have any boost creep with a 12cm housing on an H1c with 5x14 injectors at 3200rpm. It stopped wherever I set it with an electronic switch and valve.

Yes you're right I could open up the stock wastegate, bore into the other side of the housing and it might work great. That's a lot of fiddling around with a housing that still falls short of what I'm looking for.

Yes stock Hx35 in a 12cm (~.84A/R from what I can find from multiple places) probably won't over spool. Now when you start to up fueling it might up top. I know from several 24v users that the hy35 which has a 9cm (~.64 A/R housing, with just slightly smaller wheels) can overspool quite easily with injectors. So I'm a little concerned about going down to roughly a 10cm housing. I want fast spool, as I don't go through the gears real fast with the 3.07's in the non OD 727. I also want something that will be easily controlled later when I drop my 67mm HX52 on top of the Hx35, which has an extremely tight (for it's size) 16cm housing. I'm trying to find a balance between cost, power, and reliability. I have a 18cm housing now, a beat up 12cm housing with no tail housing or wg actuator, and my HX52 (D12 volvo unit with billet 67mm inducer).
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

If it's an auto you don't have much spooling to worry about, it spools once through the gears.

If you do a lot of stop-and-go or have an extremely tight converter it may be worth it, but a torque converter will cover up a lot of spooling problems the 5-speed guys deal with.

I still think the HX housing would work fine as long as your injectors aren't like 5x20 or something. All I did was take a 7/8-ish (probably not the right size, make sure you measure yourself) bit and ram it through my housing on a drill press. Didn't even pre-drill the divider, it's cast so it cut like butter, just take it easy and keep the bit lubed up.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 am

Tacoclaw wrote:If it's an auto you don't have much spooling to worry about, it spools once through the gears.

If you do a lot of stop-and-go or have an extremely tight converter it may be worth it, but a torque converter will cover up a lot of spooling problems the 5-speed guys deal with.

I still think the HX housing would work fine as long as your injectors aren't like 5x20 or something. All I did was take a 7/8-ish (probably not the right size, make sure you measure yourself) bit and ram it through my housing on a drill press. Didn't even pre-drill the divider, it's cast so it cut like butter, just take it easy and keep the bit lubed up.

I pull 5-8,000 lbs regularly and with the 3.07's I don't have much of a first gear I'd like to improve off the line torque. So larger injectors and a tighter housing would greatly improve this. I don't have a lock up, still stock everything in the trans.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Return to The good stuff