Cracked timing case, What to do while I have it apart

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Cracked timing case, What to do while I have it apart

Postby opiebennett » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Well, the cam / new lifters / valve springs / pump timing / 3200 governor spring / pump rebuild and gasket replacement has been working great. Its like a whole new truck.

I'm very happy with the performance :thumbsup:

Some crappy cell phone pictures -

the '60#' valve springs.

just keep taking more and more off the front of the truck...

I decided to change the tappet cover gasket, while I had most everything out of the way - which turned out to be good as the old one was really hard and crusty.

Some timing marks so I could make sure I got everything aligned properly again -
Cam to injection pump gear

crank to cam gear -

Previous owners 'fix' for the damage from the dowel pin coming out -

1/2" Poplar wodden dowels holding the lifters up so I could remove the cam -

Rainy July 4 weekend, working on it anyhow

Ended up dropping a lifter into the oil pan. Turns out if you lift the engine as high as possible, and the trans as high as possible, then lift the engine a shade more, you can disconnect the oil pickup tube from the bottom of the engine, and barely sneak the pan between the crossmember and the transmission.

You can see what the dowels are doing -

New timing case installed. Note the PVC central vacuum pipe installed in the cam journals to catch the lifters / help install them -

Made this 3'6" lever that bolted to the front of the new cam to install the cam. It used the Cam retainer bolt, and allowed me to have leverage to not beat up the cam bearings on installation.

And after un-bolting the cam installer lever tool, I bolted on the cam retainer.

Total pain in the but job, but the truck runs like a champ now, and I've done most all the gaskets on the engine :brows:
Bryan 'Opie' Bennett
91.5 5.9L with 21mm H1C/A518/NP205 Reg Cab LE Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp/BD Fuel Pin/Some fuel screw/Diamond Eye 4" exhaust/B+M Deep Trans Pan/3rd Gen aluminum wheels
opiebennett
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to The good stuff