Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby PToombs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Dave, do you wear a blue hat at work? :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm

PToombs wrote:Dave, do you wear a blue hat at work? :lol:

I once brought home a Nanny goat who was heavy with her Billy goat.

Nanny & Billy

He grew up to be a hoss . . ..

For a while, growing up at my folks home, I thought my name was "Damn'it".
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Yup, same emblem as on the truck! :jumpsmile:

Good story, my kids now answer to "Damn kids!" part of the time. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm

A little update: It's cold outside. Or raining. Or both. :x

I finally broke down and bought the correct socket for the rear axle-nut. That way I could properly seat the new axle bearing races, etc with torquing the thing as per the FSM.

Anyhoo, got the axles installed. Went from stock/OEM 32 spline units to some chromalloy 35 spline units.

As the 2001 brake hydraulic lines mount differently from the 1993 version, I had to weld a little plate to the rear of the leaf-spring perches. That way I could anchor the caliper flex-line to the axle. Turned out pretty good . . .

The balance of the rear axle brake plumbing is stainless steel and is made for the 2001 setup . . .

Got the parking brake cables sorted for the most part. I'm gonna have to shorten both, at the connection mount for the main pedal cable. That'll be a hoot.
Else, an adapter to connect the 2001 plumbing to that 1993 line coming off my frame, reinstall the old ladder-bars (for now), and put oil in the hog's-head.

. . . still waiting on lug-nuts! :roll:

We'll see . . . .
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm

That's some good looking work there Dave! 8)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks, Pete. :)

- With my paying work, I've got all I need to silver-solder.
- In doing the turbos, I remade/relocated the HVAC refrigerant lineset. To do that, I got the crimping tools and ferules to terminate the hoses.

OK. :idea:

So, I got new parking-brake cables made for the 2001 axle/disc-brakes. I thought they'd fit perfectly. Yeah, well . . . The driver's cable was about 6" too long. The passenger's was about a foot or so too long. :roll:

So, I cut things back to the right length and:

- Used some of the HVAC hose crimp ferules to reattach the cable sleeve end to the sleeve.
- Got a 1/4" copper tubing cap, drilled a hole in the end, pushed the now cut to length PB cable through, frayed the end of the cable inside the cap, flooded it with flux, and filled the cap/cable with 15% silver-solder.

Looks good anyway.

We'll see. Still working on it . . . . ;)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Richie O » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 pm

My luck the cable would pull out the solder and my truck would roll away. I got out of my 93 one day and made it a few steps. Heard the e brake pedal release. Lucky the truck was on pretty flat ground and I got back in before mayham happened.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Like everything else with this heap, to do it right, you've got to be patient. All work ever done with this truck has been under a tarp. (The wife's been making noise about having somewhere sheltered to park her car at least once in the last year or so).

Getting down to the short-rows has the weather, as of noon today, set a new record for the Raleigh/Durham airport for the most consecutive days below freezing (I know, there's places with records of 32* below zero by the days). The forecast for the beach place a week from today is in the 60s daytime, 40s at night. That's NC weather for ya.

Finishing those short-rows today saw a high of 28* with windchills of 8* or there abouts. (I know, that's child's play elsewhere).

Do you know how long it takes to squeeze four quart bottles of 85W/140 lube oil through those stupid little nozzles when the oil is 20*? Son of a bitch! The last two bottles went into the microwave (Warning, the stuff expands a surprising amount doing that. Remove a little from the bottle beforehand. You're welcome).

I didn't get a "Cold Start" video. It was 20*, standing outside the truck (never touched the pedal), reached in the window and anfter the wait light went out, turned the key. It turned over maybe three times and I stopped. Turned the key again and the engine rolled over perhaps three more times and hit. The first 10 or so seconds, it was rough, but it then eventually smoothed out. There was a substantial cloud of greyish/white smoke for the first while. And all that sthi . . . .. . . .

Let it idle while my Son pulled the wheel lugnuts up to torque.

** The new block/leakspring perches on the new axle are about an inch taller than the stock/OEM perches. ---> GOT'CHA!!!!! <--- I don't care for the added rear body lift. We've decided the best fix will be to remove the OEM 8" (?) blocks and cut an inch or so from the bottom and put it back together.

Drove it into town and put ten gallons of fuel in the tank and drove it the long way back. - Absolutely unremarkable.

That's a good thing. ;)

The feeling is starting to come back to my pointing finger.

Gotta tywrap a few loose things, and adjust the parking brake. I hope to drive it to the coast this coming weekend. I figure I'll tighten everything again there.

Damn-it! I'm On-Call the week after. :roll:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby spencerdiesel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Sometimes (all times for some people) no excitement is a blessing :D

Awesome progress, I barely can find motivation to change diff and tranny fluid in my toyota.
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:18 pm

I thought about heating oil in the microwave a short while back, then I thought about how much fun it would be to clean said gear oil from inside my microwave, and decided installing cold oil takes less time than cleaning the microwave. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Welp, . . . The new spring perches are right at 3/4" taller than the OEM article. Measuring between the top/edge of the tire, it's right at 7" to the center of the wheel-well, up front. It's right at 11" at the back. I don't care for the look. It's been my experience I've got to put a substantial load in the bed to get the stupid thing to approach level. In my experience with the truck, such a load isn't that often.

- I removed the 3/8" thick very bottom leaf-spring from the pack. NOT the 3/4" bottom shelf-leaf, as I call it. That should drop things that much and perhaps soften the ride a little.
- I removed about an inch from the bottom of the OEM lift-block.

I think the combination will drop the rear going on two inches? We'll see.

Got all this done to the driver's side. The OEM main axle U-Bolts have too much rubbing type damage to the threads to work. Gonna have to replace them.

Did I mention it's now 26*f and heading toward a low of 14*f under the tarp?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Got the new U-bolts. (Fleet Pride)

Again, I removed the very bottom Leaf, of the rear axle leaf-springs. Cut about an inch off the bottom of the OEM lift-blocks.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the bottom, rounded the head of a 3/8" bolt and used it as a replacement locating pin for the bottom of the block.

After all's said and done, the spring/block mods dropped the truck right at 1.75" as seen over the tires.
I've got to readjust (lower) the headlights.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Welp, Friday was in the low 70*s. Drove the heap to the beach. It rained heavy little drops the entire way. Couldn't do more than 55mph for fear of some deep puddle wiping me out. I guess it's for the best. Give the R&P a chance to reseat themselves. Heading back tomorrow. Expected high of 40*f. Calling for more snow come Wednesday. Don't care for NC weather? Give it a day or two.

With the little meaningful driving of the heap thus far, I am getting a sense of how the Detroit Locker feels compared to the former Power-Loc.

So, I got these two Power-Loc diffs at the house. Anybody ever run a limited-slip diff in the front axle?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

From what I remember on CompD, don't. Put an electric locker in the front if you need it to 4 wheels. Slick surfaces makes it hairy
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah, I read that too, Jon. :)

I figure that even though the transfer-case is in 2wd, the front hubs are locked to one another for what the Power-Loc is good for, and that's where the trouble on slick stuff comes in. Oh well.

Drove the mess roughly 350ish miles. A lot @ 45mph, a little @ 55ish, the balance @ 75. Wet & dry. I must confess that overall, if I didn't know it was there, you'd have to point out there's a Detroit Locker in the rear . .. . . except when you get on it. Nice. 8)

Gotta get on with completing the tuning the the new turbo mess.

It was 70* Friday. They're calling for snow come Tuesday night. :|
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff