Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby BC847 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Today, after crawling under the truck many times, as well as disassembling/reassembling the turbo-mass repeatedly, I ciphered a few curves and completed fabricating the main 5" down-pipe.

Where I had "Dimpled" the lower passenger's firewall to accommodate the earlier twins 4" down-pipe, has a 3" streak that's about a half inch from the pipe. I asked the hammer if he could fix that, . . . . it just smugly laid there. :lol:

Under the truck, it easily clears the truck's frame as well as the transmission. (Passenger's frame-rail top/right, front driveshaft bottom/left).

There's a good finger of space between the bottom of the cab and the pipe, as well as a finger between the pipe and that cross-member diagonal-brace. It easily clears the front driveshaft and transmission. 8)

Still gotta figure out the down-pipe/bell-housing mount thingy.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 am

You are making good progress on it.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:15 pm

This weekend saw me make the rear section of the 5" exhaust. There'll be a 15" piece of 5" SS flex-pipe between that coming from the down-pipe piece that connects to this section (at top in image). It goes past the transfer-case and on to the muffler (bottom-right). The leg that takes off to the left goes to the bed mounted temporary stack.

If you hold it just right, there's plenty of space (1/2" ~ 1").

The stack Wye tucks up close to the passenger's frame-rail. There'll be a 12" piece of SS flex-pipe that goes to the stack mount in the bed.

In the midst of this, bush-hogged 4 or so acres of heavily grown over field to make room for the garden. Messed-up the PTO-shaft over-extending it. :(
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby DMan1198 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Man, you're definitely making progress quicker than I was when I built my setup, and I still have an exhaust leak just after the downpipe. It is currently my only driver at the moment, and I don't really want to pull the turbos off hot though. Thinking about it now I could probably just pull the downpipe out of the way enough, and weld it up with the truck on a hoist at work.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:00 pm

This past Wednesday or so, I got on with making the main down-pipe bracket that attaches it to the bell-housing. I typically make such first out of craft-paper and in doing so, I kept running into the fact that I needed to tweak things (the whole turbo mass) a little to have everything fit as best as possible in the down-pipe area.

Shaw! :?

After all's said and done, I ended up remaking the bracket that secures the bottom primary to the engine. Had to make it just under 1/2" longer.

With that, I'm able to fabricate and install the new bracket for the main down-pipe.

As such, the turbo-mass is soundly fastened to the engine at the secondary & manifold, the bottom primary & engine, and the down-pipe & bell-housing. 8)

Gotta eat a samitch, take the break that refreshes, and get on with making a bracket that mounts the new remote engine oil filter, in the location the former transmission oil heat exchanger was. It'll be a hoot. :shock:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:14 pm

All I have to make this bracket out of is some 3.5" x 1" (+/-) C-channel that's a little over 1/8" thick. Gotta cut it up and make stuff . . .

I'm modeling this after the OEM transmission fluid heat exchanger's mounting bracket's footprint.

Starting with that foot that mounts to the passenger's engine mount, . . . . .

Whittle on it some and include a hole for removal of one of the engine's mounting bolt (it has to pass through the bracket in order to remove the bolt) . . .

Now, rip-up some of the metal to make the main plate of the bracket . . . .

Now, weld that to the engine mount foot and add metal to fill it all out . . . . .

Now, make the foot that attaches to the transmission's engine adaptor-plate . . . .

Now, weld it to the plate with a curved reinforcement gusset. It's curved so as to allow clearance for accessing the top bolt of the engine's barring-tool-port cover-plate . . . .

Now, notch the plate right there so as to allow clearance for the main down-pipe. Then add a reinforcement flange to that . . . . .

Then cut/drill the holes for the actual remote oil filter head . . .

All to be able to solidly mount the remote engine oil filter between the engine and passenger's frame-rail, right above the front differential . . . .

With that, I can now spec/get the hoses to connect the remote filter head to the engine.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 am

I don't know if I would have the patience for all of this lol.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:46 pm

I agree Andy! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't have the time, money or patience, but alot of guys do, my cousin spent all of last winter and $8,000 bucks to 4 link and new rearend on his 69 nova drag car all for 3 tenths of a second and he is as happy as can be because he is now in the 5's, now me....if i didn't gain a full second i mite have shot myself.

I think it is whatever bug bites you, some is diesel, some hunting, some boats, some old tractors, some motorcycles, and we all think the other one is nuts for doing and spending what they do on there hobby.

now me it is shoes and purses.. :lol: :lol:
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm really screwed then, diesels, old tractors, bikes and anything else that goes! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm

PToombs wrote:I'm really screwed then, diesels, old tractors, bikes and anything else that goes! :lol:

Im right there too. If it has a engine im trying to make it faster.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:I don't have the time, money or patience, but alot of guys do, my cousin spent all of last winter and $8,000 bucks to 4 link and new rearend on his 69 nova drag car all for 3 tenths of a second and he is as happy as can be because he is now in the 5's, now me....if i didn't gain a full second i mite have shot myself.

I think it is whatever bug bites you, some is diesel, some hunting, some boats, some old tractors, some motorcycles, and we all think the other one is nuts for doing and spending what they do on there hobby.

now me it is shoes and purses.. :lol: :lol:

Losing 3 tenths to go from 6.2 to 5.9 is huge gains...

That is like going from 15 seconds down to 12...
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I suppose I could collect stamps. :lol:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

1STGENFARMBOY wrote:
:

Me, Its 3 diesels, 2 dusters, 1 Dakota, and one D150, Bow hunting, shotgun, muzzleloader and just now getting into coyote hunting, Boats not so much, but have helped my brother with his, I have one tractor that I've started on and would like to fix up 3 other ones of dads, I've started woodworking projects with pallet wood since its free. I don't know which hobbies to get rid of lol. I'm about to the point of stepping out of the diesel world but I can quite bring my self to it yet. I'll probably hang around for awhile.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 am

Me it's,

Diesel trucks
motorcycles ( 20k miles on my duel sport 250 and 32k miles on my 2012 v-strom 650 )
old tractors (7)
camping with wife and grandkids
kayaking with wife
hiking with wife 4 to 5 big hikes a year
gave up cows and hay so theres that, but still have to maintain the farm. tractors will be the next thing to go all but 3.

I will keep the truck because we love to travel/camp so I need it to pull the new camper, and haul the bike so I will also stick around.
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff