Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Look how clean the bottom of that cab is! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

PToombs wrote:Look how clean the bottom of that cab is! :lol:

HAH! :lol: I've not yet cleaned under the truck.

Over the last couple of days, with the help of my Son, we cleared off the shop work bench, a path to it and, repaired/upgraded the 24 4' fluorescent shop lights with 4' LEDs.
Now, I got a clean spot in the shelter of the shop and light to see with!

Gonna split the OD section from the transmission's main case and haul them into the shop with the plane to tear it all down this weekend.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Well, Got the overdrive section separated from the main case .. .

Once again this tool investment comes in real handy . . .

The overdrive clutch-discs and steels look to be in good shape . . .

The direct clutch single-sided frictions look good . .

As do the other side steels . .

The overdrive's planetary gear-set's Sun-gear is presenting with some weird tooth wear (gonna replace it) . .

Yet the planet gears present as OK . . .

Huh. :|
Pressure-washed, dried and painted the overdrive case.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Where did you get the overdrive spring compressor tool?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Where did you get the overdrive spring compressor tool?

Gosh, Andy. I don't remember. It's been over ten years now I think. Most likely from PATC.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Today I started with a now clean billet/alloy output shaft.

Everything of the overdrive section was completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Replaced the strainer in the governor and secured those bolts with blue Loctite after torquing to 96in/lbs.

Those bushings in the output shaft as well as the front and rear ball-bearings still look good (they were all renewed not too long ago).

With that, I loaded the overdrive case with all I could stopping at the worn Sun-gear. I've got a new one on order.

Then I started on the 3-speed section with removing the front cover and oil-pump.
The input shaft bushing still looks good (was renewed not too long ago).

The front band looks good with no apparent issues with the band itself or the anchors.

The friction material might have gotten heated occasionally along the way.

The associated front drum band surface looks OK with a few hints of heat here and there.

With the earlier twins, the trans was doing just fine. Going to the trips had the front clutch go to slipping on engagement at the track.

Well there we go . . .

The little used rear clutch and steels look almost pristine.

Gotta clean and disassemble the front and rear axles next so they can be massaged.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:38 pm

This evening I spent a short while pulling ALL the stuff attached to the original 1993 A518 (46RH) 3-speed case. Took it all the way to a large, shapely chunk of aluminum with black paint on it.

That's when the reverse-drum band stuff that I forgot about presented itself. >Gatcha!<

- The stock/OEM reverse-drum is perhaps 4" front to rear. Of the 4", perhaps 1.75ish inches is milled down more so than that area the 2ish inch rear-band rides.
-The newer 47RH uses a double-wrap type rear-band that's almost the full width of the reverse-drum.

> My stepped drum will not work with the 47 rear-band.

- A Google search shows the earlier band (like my original) as well as the newer, double-wrap band the 47s and 48s run.

- A Google search shows the full width reverse-drum BUT! I can't find a photo example of what came with my truck (the stepped drum).
Newer:

WTH!!!

None of the 46RH rear-band sthi will work in the 47 case. The friggin servo is the only thing in common.

Got sthi on the way via Ebay. :roll:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Had to locate a reaction-pin for that rear-band. The good folks at SunCoast Diesel stepped up and threw one in the torque converter box. 8)

While waiting for the OD sun-gear, I tried to keep moving forward by taking a large, true, fine file and checking the flat surfaces of the 3-speed section's case.

Started with the OD end . . .

Then the oil pan end . . .

At the OD end of the 3-speed section's case, I drilled a 0.040" passage in the incoming from the cooler trans fluid route just before where the OD piston retainer penetrates the 3-speed case. That will allow direct lubrication of that rearmost overrunning clutch and that around the reverse drum.
Cleaned the fool out of the 3-speed case.

With that OD sun-gear arriving, I completed loading the OD planetary gear-set, the direct clutch-pack, then put that stupid direct-clutch spring in . .

Because I don't have a dedicated spline alignment tool, I have to use the intermediate-shaft for the job . .

Now, without botching the spline alignment, put that spring compressor on there and crank it down to install the reaction and retaining rings.

After doing those last few steps eleventeen times, I finally got it right . . .

Now to figure out which selective-spacer for the OD piston to work right. Gonna need a spacer around 0.183" to 0.185". Naturally, that removed from the parts donor was 0.010" too short. Gonna have to get a new spacer.

With the completion of the overdrive section, I moved back to the 3-speed case and installed a Sonnax OD piston & retainer (has beefed-up sealing around that incoming cool trans fluid circuit). . .

That's enough for tonight. Still got a lot to do.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you for taking the time to show us all this.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Thank you for taking the time to show us all this.

Take it all as helpful OR a warning. You decide. LOL!
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Working on the trans tonight was frustrating. :?

I started on the 3-speed case assembling and installing the front band servo.

It sports the latest thinking on hydraulic leak control as well as perhaps putting some "English" (pool table reference) on how the servo action presents to the band. (The silver one).

Caution Is advised.

After assembling the thing and lubing it as well as the piston bore, I slid it in and with sliding in perhaps a quarter of an inch, I heard a subtle snap and the thing locked right there.
The phacking sealing ring snapped into the retainer-ring groove. Now, it's locked there.

I'm pretty sure I said a lot of cuss words, the likes of which I've never heard before.

Fast forward an hour or so . . . As the piston sealing rings are meant to reside in the grooves of the piston and not in the cylinder's retainer-ring groove, I was able to take a 0.004", 0.005" and, a 0.006" flat feeler-gauge and slip them between the servo and it's cylinder wall. Walking the feeler-gauge blades around, I was eventually able to get the sealing rings in their grooves enough to get them past the retainer-ring groove.

SUMBISH!

I then installed the front-band servo lever.

Moving on to the rear-band's servo reveals that with the improved self-actuation of the newer band design, they downsized the rear servo.

PHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned the shop lights out and went into the house.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 pm

I got a little more done successfully tonight.

There was some concern as to whether my measurements for the OD apply-piston spacer needing to be about 0.010" taller. Using an alternate method did more than verify my number. It uncovered the fact I had a Wavy-retainer ring in the overdrive clutch-pack. Being that I'm running an increased clutch/steel count, one must remove the wavy-retainer for the room.

Anyhoo, with the overdrive clutch-pack now correct, I proceeded with the alternate method.

- Temporarily remove the overdrive clutch-pack's wire retainer ring.
- Place the Torrington bearing on the clutch-hub.
- Place the given OEM (0.150") OD piston spacer on the bearing.
- Place the OD apply-piston on the spacer.

Now, over on the side of the case, where the parking rod passes into the OD case,
- Take a 0.110" drill bit and slip it in between the topmost clutch-pack steel and the bottom edge if the OD apply-piston.
- If it fits nice and proper as one would using a typical Feeler-Gauge, you're spot on.

That 0.110" is typically found in the SK-TFOD Deezul shift-kit.

As such, I had a couple of them. Interestingly, I found a 0.001" variance between the two bits found to actually be 0.106" and 0.105".

0.106"

0.105"

Well Shaw! With the mess stacked as described above, using the OEM spacer, neither bits would fit (too tight).

Hold that thought . . .

Earlier I had forgotten about the rear band parts required and had to source them. I found the correct rear-drum for the new and improved rear-band, the associated lever and related small pin. There was also a OD apply-piston and it's associated piston-retainer. All, used, in a box from a guy on Ebay.
- Come to find out, the OD apply-piston spacer for those used components was stuck in that OD apply-piston. Fingers crossed, I measured it and found it to be 0.160". 0.010" taller (thicker) than the one I have.

- Slipping that 0.160" OD apply-piston spacer in the stack had the 0.106" bit fit with a very light touch. The 0.105" bit fit essentially perfect (my measurement via that FSM method was pretty-much spot-on. HAH!).

So, with that, I put the OD clutch-pack's wire retaining ring back in, stacked the bearing, spacer and OD apply-piston and slid the O D section out of the way, finished.

Then I cleaned, dried and lubed the rear-band drum, a new rear-band and the associated lever. Slid all that into the 3-speed case (lever-pin is temporarily/loosely installed).

OK, fine! I moved on the 3-speed section's rotating assembly. Cleaned, dried, inspected and lubed it all.

The billet/alloy intermediate-shaft appears to be in good overall condition.

No obvious issues with the splines at the OD end.

The splines for the rear planetary gear-set.

Or the splines at the clutch-packs end.

Here, the backwardly mocked rear planetary gear-set present as being in good shape.

As does the front planetary gear-set.

Those thrust washers associated with the planetaries don't come off as terribly worn at all.

That's it for tonight.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Santa drove his brown truck by the house today. 8)

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Today, I got started on the 3-speed section's gear-train.

With all parts clean, inspected and lubed where appropriate, . . .

I started with sliding the rear planetary annulus gear on the intermediate-shaft followed by that thrust-plate nested inside.

I then slid in the rear steel-carrier, 6-pinion planetary gear assembly along with it's thrust-washer.

Now, with the drive-shell loaded with the planetary gear-set's sun-gear and a second rear planet thrust-washer . . . .

Stab that boy in the rear planetary gear-set.

I made sure all was fully seated and set this aside for a moment.

Now, take the front steel-carrier, 6-pinion planetary gear assembly and place the thrust-washer on the back of the gear assembly along with that ring-spacer**.

**If you plan on upgrading your early 46RH aluminum front planetary gear-set with a later planetary gear-set that uses a steel carrier, you need to swap the OEM plastic ring-spacer with the later plastic ring-spacer. The latter is taller. Apparently, the now two steel components don't get along with each other and need the plastic article between them to shut them up. Notice the taller ring-spacer is between stuff all the way to the planet's rear thrust washer.

Now slip the front planetary annulus-gear over that thrust-washer, ring-spacer, front planet stack.

With the rear planet/drive-shell thing standing up in one hand, take the front planet assembly, annulus-gear down, and screw it down on the front sun-gear.

Finally, slip the selective snap-ring on the front end of the intermediate-shaft.

Take the entire planet gear-train and stand it on the front planet end, on a block off wood. Gently stomp the thing on the front tip of the intermediate-shaft so all the stuff shifts forward and leans on the front snap-ring.

You do this so you can measure the total end-play of the assembly right there between the rear annulus-gear and that shoulder of the intermediate-shaft. You want between 0.006" ~ 0.048" of end-play. Use the selective front snap ring to add or remove slack accordingly.
Measuring my end-play reveals it's way loose past 0.048" (yes, I'm confident I didn't leave something out).

EDIT:
I'm running 48RE shafts and planets, etc in the 3-speed section. But I'm also running the 46RH drive-shell. It's a little thinner than the 48 version. As such, my running the 48 sun-gear in the 46 drive-shell has those two parts fitting looser than anybody planned for.

To take up the slack between the two had me slip in a second sun-gear shell thrust plate.

That moved the front planet forward taking up that slack I needed to get within the correct tolerance range. I this case, I ended up with 0.010" clearance.

OK. Confirming the rear-band and associated drum is correctly assembled/installed.

I then slid the planetary gear-set assembly into the 3-speed case.

With the 3-speed section's planetary gear-train complete, I moved to the 3-speed section's clutch-packs.
Here you can see that removed from the 46RH/48RE hybrid I was running. Closest is the front clutch assembly (less the actual clutch discs and steels). The rearmost stuff is the rear clutch-pack (again, less the actual clutch discs and steels) that includes the current non lock-up billet/alloy input-shaft.

Starting with the rear clutch-pack, I harvested and cleaned all that was gonna be reused.
The front clutch retainer.

All that other stuff was replaced with a billet/alloy lock-up input-shaft, mo'betta clutch-pack pistons and a thickerer Belleville-spring (sp?).

I'll get to that mess tomorrow,
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Belleville washer. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff