Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby BC847 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Well, I reckon it's time for an update.

After 3 years at the local county school system, . . . . . . . mess was/is getting deep . . . . er. One of my contractors made me an offer I absolutely couldn't refuse. So, I'm with them now and much better for it (it's still work though).

Anyhoo, the local track finally opened up after being closed and rebuilt from the ground up for the last couple of years. Compared to what it was, it is DA'CHIT!!

NOTE: I've got these mo'bigga injectors. Till I get more blow, I've, in a sense, throttled them back. As such, they still need more air. Just for sport, at the track I removed the air filter turbo feed-pipe so as to allow unrestricted flow into the primary (never done this before) and made three passes.

In a nutshell:
- The stupid All-Terrain tires broke loose, shuddering/bouncing, what ever. Had to back off a little and hit it again. This has been a growing issue. I've got to do something if I wanna go quicker.
- Third gear is suddenly slipping as it engages. Had to back off a little and hit it again. No doubt, increased torque with the additional fuel and air.

Ran 8.3ish avg.

SHAW! :mad:

So, I took it home.

Not too long ago, the stupid power-steering pump went out.
The crap's wondering all over the road as far as I'm concerned so, I replaced the power-steering pump with one of those that sports a slightly higher pressure and higher flow volume . . . .

Screw it, while I'm in there, I replaced the steering box with one of the Red-Heads . . . . .

Naturally, the steering box mounting-plate that I replaced ten or so years ago was cracked, so I replaced it with an intact used one (I'm gonna weld-up/beef-up the cracked one for later use) . . . . .

To ensure a good long life of the two above items, I went ahead and replaced the associated plumbing . . . . .

Chit.

While I was in there, I noticed the tie-rod ends were sloppy. So, I replaced them, the drag-link, and rebuilt the steering knuckle king-pins.

Folks:
- I bought a torque-multiplier, and steering tool assortment. BEST! THING! EVER!
- I'm blessed to have a Son, who after all these years of showing "how to", chooses to return the favor . . . .

An honest 500 ~ 600 ft/lbs torque . . . . .

Ok, so got the steering up to snuff.

To address the launch traction issue, I had to cypher real hard.
- Since the OEM tires wore out, I've always run the BFG All-Terrain Radial. 16x32ishx12. The last ten or so years have been on some CenterLine 16/10 forged aluminum rims . . . . .

The fact of the matter is: I don't go "Muddin", I don't "mud sling'in", . . . . . I bet I'm not far off saying it's snowed perhaps seven times over the last ten or so years here at the house. And, when I say Snowed, I mean something that stuck for 24 hours or so. Perhaps 6 ~ 8 inches deep.

I've used 4WD more at the track, than anywhere else. The past three or four years have seen the truck haul renovation crap to the coast more than anything. So, why do I need an All-Terrain tire?

OK, FINE!!

I've decided to go with a street type tire. As far as gear-ratios and such, I'm staying with the same 32ish" diameter tire. Well, I can't find a tire to my liking, in a 32ish" diameter, that fits my current 16x10 rim.

CRAP!

So, I've, EIGHT or so weeks ago, ordered some 20x10 Frontier Smoothy rims from CenterLine. There were none in stock, so I had to wait for them to make some.

They finally arrived and . . .WOO HOO! . .. . aw . . . . . chit!

All four, damaged in shipping, the exact same way . . . . .

Words cannot express my disappointment.

So as to avoid six or more weeks for UPS to get around to correcting their mess, CenterLine was good enough to send call-tags to ship them back to repair (dings/cosmetic in their eyes). That's been three weeks now.

I like to think my rims will be shipped back to me this coming week so I can have them mounted and wrapped with some NITTO 420s. 305/50/20. Should offer a much better ride, better traction, at a lower cost.

This weekend, I repaired a long-running boost leak under one of the TwinRam intake feed-horn legs.

I'm embarrassed to say that, with all the beefing-up of my trans, I've never had gauges on it. I'm gonna pull the pan and see what's in the sump, and decide if I'm gonna pull it and refresh it. In the mean time, I got a set of gauges to see where I'm at pressure-wise . . . .

David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:18 am

And here I thought I was busy with my 93. How much did that torque multiplier cost?

Any more thought as to what chargers you're going to go with?
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:41 pm

That track looks awesome! I wish they would update the one near me (6-7 miles away). Problem is it's in a swamp. And the best improvement would be to bring in about a million yards of fill and raise it about 3-4 feet.
Isn't it nice having nice tools? Torque multipliers are pricey, a good one is $5-600 new.
You're putting 20's on? Did you flatten the bill on your cap? :lol: I just hope they stay inside the fenders, I don't have anything against big rims, but I've seen a lot of nice trucks the last few years that are ruined by the "stance".

Keep plugging Dave, it's getting there! 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:47 pm

PToombs wrote:That track looks awesome! I wish they would update the one near me (6-7 miles away). Problem is it's in a swamp. And the best improvement would be to bring in about a million yards of fill and raise it about 3-4 feet.
Isn't it nice having nice tools? Torque multipliers are pricey, a good one is $5-600 new.
You're putting 20's on? Did you flatten the bill on your cap? :lol: I just hope they stay inside the fenders, I don't have anything against big rims, but I've seen a lot of nice trucks the last few years that are ruined by the "stance".

Keep plugging Dave, it's getting there! 8)

I thought the same on the 20's Pete. :lol:
I'll repress my judgment till we see a truck pic with the wheels fitted lol
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:14 pm

LOL!

The overall dimensions of the new rim/tire combo will match the original less the new tires will be shy of .8" smaller in diameter.

305/70/16 . . . . . vs . . . . .. . 305/50/20
32.8" . . . . . . .Diameter . . . . .. .32"
12" . . . . . .. . . . .wide . . . . .. .. 12"
8.4" . . . . . . . . sidewall . . . . .. . . 6"
103" . . . . .. . circumference . . . 100.5"
615 . . . . . . . . . . RPM . . . . . .. . 630

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Both call for a 10" rim. Both old and new rims have a 4.5" backspacing.

To look at it, it's the same old rim, just larger in diameter, with no bullet-holes. And no, we won't be doing the "Stance" crap. By my ciphering, they should be just inside the fender.

In my head, seven of the ten voices are cool with it.

To complicate the look thing, I've the option of running my current axle-covers (hub caps? As seen above) We'll see.

As far as the turbos, I'm currently looking at a couple of the BW 62SXE feeding somewhere between a Garrett GTX3076R to a Garrett GTX3582. Trying to better understand turbo maps at the moment.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Bob L » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am

Thanks David for the Tire Calculator link
Never seen that one before
Very useful :mrgreen:
Bob L
NRA Life Member 1974
'92.5 D250 LE EXT.CAB...Getrag...All Original...No Rust...
Purchased new in late Oct.'92---128K Mi. Still Like New.
Bob L
fuel screw!!!!

Postby fatty » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 am

David, what was your mph on the recent runs compared to with the old setup? You showing any power gains there?
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I can't say that I bothered noticing the speed. The ET being that far off after busting loose at the line, throttling it, then having it slip in 3rd and throttling it . . . . It didn't matter to me.

If I can get it to hook solidly at the line, and get into each gear as it should, I'm sure there will be a notable (if not minimal) improvement even though the injectors are throttled-back and a little extra air from the lack of restriction in the air intake . .
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:10 pm

I'm anxious to see the wheels on the truck.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:54 pm

New wheels should look pretty nice then!
Oh yeah, the voices. :? Mine have been 5 for and 5 against lately. I may need to kill one off to get a majority. Little bastards.
Tire calculators are great, I have one saved in my fav list. I use it almost every time I decide to change tires.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:04 pm

I use the one from Tacoma world. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:35 pm

The neat thing about that calculator I posted is that they've got a "Compare" button. Inputting the specs of the old rim/tire combo, and the new combo, you can see a pictorial side-by-side view.

This, in an 8-lug pattern:

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby ellis93 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

I like them.

Thank god you didn't go all cockstar on us lol
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Bob L » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:55 pm

Tire Calculator---
David, thanks for pointing out the "comparison" button. I completely overlooked that.
The one from Tacoma has comparison button also, but it doesn't give you a side by side picture like the one from Tiresize.com That's nice !
Plus, the Tiresize.com site gives you a "view bar" that shows the tire offering's from a lot of the Mfg's. That' let's you look at the different tread design's. Very nice !
Plus you can click on the one you like and find a price from different vendors too. I'm sure if you shop around you can find them cheaper. Maybe ?
Overall very handy, thanks
Bob L
NRA Life Member 1974
'92.5 D250 LE EXT.CAB...Getrag...All Original...No Rust...
Purchased new in late Oct.'92---128K Mi. Still Like New.
Bob L
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 am

As far as compressor flow the gtx3582 flows the same 76lb/min as the 62sxe. The 3076r flows about 65lb/min, and can be pushed to nearly 50psi in map. I know of guys who've run both gtx's as singles, and said they don't really hit like bw chargers usually do, but when put in as a secondary the 3582 really shines.

The way you worded that seems like triples were in order, which would be cool. If I were building triples with the chargers you mentioned I'd probably do a 62sxe on the manifold, and a pair of 3076's for primaries.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff