Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby BC847 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Thanks Pete.

I've considered copper hard-pipe but was concerned about longevity in terms of vibration. Eh, I had it all apart so, . . . :|
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:51 pm

This is a fine example of why I dread some tasks I do. Can't just make a damned pipe-clamp. I do understand why some might just use some plumber's tape and call it good. :(

Anyhoo, those long turbo oil-drain pipes are secured with resilient mounts that are fastened with genuine Cummins bolts.

Spent a few minutes installing the main battery cables including new battery-end connectors.

Dicking around. :?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Washed the skank engine-bay. Removed the Water/Methanol stuff.

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Back when I installed the 49RH transmission, I learned Dodge didn't include room for transmission bell-housing bolts of a 49RH to go in/come out with the cab in place. Tilted or not. I was reminded when I pulled the failed engine.

- I took the opportunity to "Make Room" by removing/folding-over sections of the cab's pinch-welds right there behind/above where the top two bell-housing bolts need room for dis-/assembly. (Shown with the transmission drooping big-time).

Got those pesky little parts to tie-up loose-ends like the now unused water/methanol injector port getting a plug (the 2nd of the two is a charge-air temperature sensor now). A plug for the unused KSB's temperature sensor port in the intake-log's cover-plate. REAL Silicone-lined hose to best accommodate those hot turbo lube-oil drain connections to the pan/block. Refined the VE's fuel return banjo fitting/line by replacing the OEM fitting with one that immediately transitions to -4AN. Crap like that.

I'm at the point I think everything's ready to set the simple long-block into the truck.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Phack! Tip to the wise: Don't install the engine mounts until you have the engine/trans mating and secure. :roll:

Gotta mess to clean up as it's connected on this side. Gonna do some bull-dozing with some of the rat's-nest wire . . . thing.

Gonna have a highly choreographed assembly of three sub-assemblies over here.

It appears my firewall clearancing'll work.

I don't know that I've a decent photo of the turning-vane I built into the cold-pipe. So . . . .

A little closer though. ;)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby Philip » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 am

Looks good Dave.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Philip wrote:Looks good Dave.

Thanks. :)

- Tonight, I started by installing the secondary sub-assembly.

- I then realized that I failed to first install the down-pipe. :roll:
- I removed the secondary sub-assembly, installed the down-pipe and then the secondary sub-assembly again.

- The installation of the primary sub-assembly wrapped up the evening.

There's a notable difference in assembling this heap on a stand and, doing the same in a snug engine-bay.

Dicking around. :rendeer:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:51 am

BC847 wrote: Refined the VE's fuel return banjo fitting/line by replacing the OEM fitting with one that immediately transitions to -4AN. Crap like that.

Where did you get that return line fitting?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Where did you get that return line fitting?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/home.asp
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Getting on with burying the engine in hoses, pipes and wires. :roll:

Too many fuel-lines.

Slowly getting there.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:48 pm

I've got to pause assembly on the passenger's side and fix an issue of the HVAC's refrigerant suction-line (red dot) whoring around with that compressor-housing. Went and got a case of tubular perforation. (They sell goods for that fellas. ;) )

Anyhoo, if I stand up straight and look hard, I can make out the woods at the end of the row.

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:47 pm

OK, my original build of the HVAC refrigerant line-set had the suction-line's, compressor fitting point the hose close to that compressor-housing:

That ultimately led to the two getting together and worrying a hole in the suction-line:

Folks, I like my air conditioning. ;)

So, I tweaked that fitting to have the hose approach with a greater angle to the compressor and put on a new ferrule.

I added four inches in length to the hose to better provide some arch to the line as it approaches the compressor. In my head, it reduces the amplitude of the vibrations as seen by that fitting and puts more of said to be absorbed by the flexible hose.

New is the top one:

With that, the suction-line is further away from that compressor-housing and can still comfortably duck under the neighboring hot charge-air tube going to the IC and air-filter ducting:

To complete the refrigerant line-set to the compressor, I've got to first connect the hot, high-pressure refrigerant line that goes to the condenser-coil. It connects further down the rear of the compressor. Then connect this suction line above the former.
Then I can finish connecting the other stuff that's piled on top of that.

Getting close to needing to install the radiator support.

Crap, still need to finish the engine wiring harness mess.

We'll see, huh?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Well, since those refrigerant lines are buried under a lot of stuff, it only made sense to temporarily complete the refrigerant circuit by using the one bolt to connect the condenser coil and pressure-test the circuit with 125psig of dry Nitrogen gas.

After an hour's time and seeing a very small drop in gauge-pressure, I swept the refrigerant circuit with an ultrasonic leak-detector. The only leak found was that of the service-manifold's suction valve-stem.

OK. With passing the initial pressure-test, I went to burying the refrigerant lines . . . .
Transmission heat-exchanger's return coolant line and alternator wiring-harness . . .

The radiator's coolant return-line . . .

And then the start of the air-filter ducting. . . .

Moving on, before I can install the IC, I need to clean out the oil-residue from the leaking turbocharger compressors.
IC inlet (as found):

IC outlet (as found):

So, I laid down the IC and filled it with a metal-safe de-greasing solution. Then I got my feelings hurt:
(cleaning-fluid leaking from the inlet area of the IC)

One can see where the oil-residue has been leaking out from the crack(s) where those lower core-tubes connect to the tank.

- Crap.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 pm

- I got the stupid torque-convert to flex-plate bolts in. And no, you still can't install and tighten the first bolt and have those following take thread. :roll:
- Got all the other loose ends under the truck addressed: converter inspection-plate, down-pipe to intermediate-pipe connection, the remaining bell-housing bolts and the third starter bolt I couldn't get to while the engine was on the stand.
- Integrated the OEM engine wiring harness with the data-logging sensor harness making one harness assembly.

- Set the radiator support in place.

It won't be as long as it has been.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 pm

So, the OEM front body-mount rubber isolators I replaced/installed 15(+) years ago were found presenting as distressed. The bottom washer was too small in diameter such that the installed/compressed rubber isolator was being extruded past and around the washer. Those stock/OEM rubber isolators are no longer available.
Meh.

I'm not into the hard Polyurethane stuff typically available so, after asking around, I found that my rubber-headed mallet has the ideal profile and a similar Durometer hardness. (All things considered, it's a bargain. I can readily get a new mallet).

I cut the appropriate thickness discs and using a hole-saw, cut the appropriate hole in the center.

I also made new, larger in diameter, 1/8" thick washers for the isolators to rest on. Installing the stuff and torquing the bolts to 50ft/lbs, the discs were compressed to that allowed by the assembly's inner spacer-tube. It looks like I cut those new washers the right diameter.

Looking at it from the engine's point of view:

Cool.

With that, I got on with snugging-up the fenders to the radiator-support (may have to tweak them a little), replaced the IC-to-radiator-support gasketing, installed the IC, HVAC condenser and that lower valance thing.

I've still a number of loose ends to wrap up. I guess I need to quit dicking-around and get on with it. :?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff