towing 22k GVW

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: towing 22k GVW

Postby v8coupe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:03 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:You can buy a whole set on EBay for that.

I bought NEW OEM because I had already broken one while empty. IDK why this keeps happening, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the arms to have such a failure in such a short period of time. I was heavily loaded while i moved my garage (scaled at ~18k GVW) so I don't know if that was part of the issue or if it was over load from not having functioning trailer brakes.

If I keep a stock based system I will likely build new heavy wall tubular arms.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby KTA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Somewhere I have a CAT scale ticket on my 92 W350 with the 9' utility bed and the Lincoln 300amp Gas welder mounted between the cab and utility box its 159"wb and in normal tool dress scaled 6000lb on the front and 10K on the rear. The truck lived in a rock quarry before I got it and now it gets driven off road all over the farm doing repairs and I have never had a front end issue besides wore out leaf springs. It does have stock 215 sized tires though so I bet that helps.
Fleet of Junk: 1989 D350 627rwhp 1300 tq B-1/Hx60 twins, KTA pump/injectors, ported head, BIG fuel supply. 13.75@ 109.5mph 1/4: 1992 W350 Cab-chasis, 1993 W350 ext cab cust.370 inj Hx40/16cm 290rwhp hydroboost brakes,1984 D350 crew-cab another project.
KTA
diesel guru/mod

Postby v8coupe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:44 pm

KTA wrote:Somewhere I have a CAT scale ticket on my 92 W350 with the 9' utility bed and the Lincoln 300amp Gas welder mounted between the cab and utility box its 159"wb and in normal tool dress scaled 6000lb on the front and 10K on the rear. The truck lived in a rock quarry before I got it and now it gets driven off road all over the farm doing repairs and I have never had a front end issue besides wore out leaf springs. It does have stock 215 sized tires though so I bet that helps.

Your also 4wd not 2wd so completely Different. I'm 2wd D350 dually.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I still can't see how your blowing ball joints apart. Ellis has pulled some big loads with his but never had that kinda issue.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:08 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I still can't see how your blowing ball joints apart. Ellis has pulled some big loads with his but never had that kinda issue.

IDK, but when doing some local shopping all the shops I took the truck to said it use to be a common issue for these to pop out on the 1 tons. Welding them in was what most places said they do if they can't replace control arms.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:50 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:I still can't see how your blowing ball joints apart. Ellis has pulled some big loads with his but never had that kinda issue.

All true but I'm the only person to have ever touched my front end too. There's no telling what went on on his front end before he bought the truck. All it takes is one uninformed person to rent a ball joint press and go to town.
On the new stuff....I have no ideas on that. I can only say that I and a few others load our trucks pretty damn heavy and I have yet to have or heard that happen....till now.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:04 am

v8coupe wrote:

IDK, but when doing some local shopping all the shops I took the truck to said it use to be a common issue for these to pop out on the 1 tons. Welding them in was what most places said they do if they can't replace control arms.

Sounds like they have been pressed in and not threaded.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 pm

oldestof11 wrote:
v8coupe wrote:

Sounds like they have been pressed in and not threaded.

They were threaded in using the factory tool. I did all the work installed new bushings, ball joints, steering links, tierods, steering box, shocks, ball joints, etc. I followed all factory instructions for install.

I'd also like to put this truck on Air as it's such a horribly riding truck empty.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:42 am

Huh. I don't hear much of these trucks busting the UCA like you have. There is a group on Facebook that is a huge resource on some of these things. I would figure they'd be the first to beech about something like this.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 am

Regardless of why mine keep failing I do know cracked arms was an issue with the cummins. They redesigned the arm in 92 to beef it up. This front suspension was never designed for as much weight as the cummins is. I may design up a pair of tubular arms using a pressed in ball joint (maybe from a 2nd gen or something). I want to bag this truck to make is lower and ride better so I may just end up with a custom front not sure yet.

Brakes are likely also a key area I need to improve on. I know my rear drums are barely if at all functional, fronts have already been completely replaced. Any bolt on upgrades or will I need to be going custom on all this? I know discs out back would be nice. I have 17" wheels so not too worried on clearance.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 pm

It's very odd that this is happening, that UCA isn't a load-bearing arm. It locates the spindle but the lower arm is what supports all the weight.

Does the arm bind through its travel? For it to be shoving up through it says that the arm is not wanting to move upward as far as the knuckle does. :?
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:It's very odd that this is happening, that UCA isn't a load-bearing arm. It locates the spindle but the lower arm is what supports all the weight.

Does the arm bind through its travel? For it to be shoving up through it says that the arm is not wanting to move upward as far as the knuckle does. :?

there was no binding when I installed them don't know why there would be now. only major component I didn't replace was the springs. new bushings, bearings, discs, shocks, calipers, ball joints, tierod inners & outers, adjusting sleeves, center link, steering box, etc. So basically the entire front is new.

replaced with all quality components. I am looking for options on suspension as I would love to lower this truck a bit and soften up the front a bit, but not lose load carrying.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm

If you do tubular uppers, let me know. I will be bagging my truck too and I was thinking how well a beefed up version of the Mustang II front end would do on our trucks.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 am

oldestof11 wrote:If you do tubular uppers, let me know. I will be bagging my truck too and I was thinking how well a beefed up version of the Mustang II front end would do on our trucks.

One of my exact ideas was to take a M2 system and make it truck sized. You are 2wd right?
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:13 am

Yes sir. I'm pretty sure there are tons of others that might be interested.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff