Trying to tune my hx35/ ht3b combo.

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Trying to tune my hx35/ ht3b combo.

Postby LandTug2 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:39 pm

As said above I am having trouble getting things smoothed out. Sooooo the run down of what has been done:

Hx35 w/ 14cm housing over Ht3b w/ 27cm housing
5x16 EDM injectors
denny t stage 1 fuel pin
removed nylon ring under afc diaphram
3200 gov spring
stiff afc spring was removed as it was binding
star wheel 3 turns down from stock
preboost screw flush with cover
full fuel screw 1 turn in (approximately)
dynamic timing spacer
1/8" timing bump
AFC valet switch
airdog 100 gpm lift pump

so I did the 1/8" bump today. Before the bump I would hit approximately 40 psi and have a haze during WOT. I also had a haze at idle until it warmed up then kind of went away. So did the bump and took it out. First thing I noticed was that the haze at idle seemed to go away. Then I got in it in 4th gear and max boost dropped to around 32 or so. Smoke seemed to be a little clearer too. I have also done a boost leak as best I could. No real leaks from what I can tell but its hard to get any real pressure on it as the boot blows off the secondary since there isn't a bead on it. Still, pretty confident there isn't any major leaks. So I have read a ton of threads, some pertaining to the VE, some later models, about compound tuning. I must be really missing something with only hitting the numbers I am seeing. I don't know if I am just not fueling it hard enough, though I am seeing a haze at WOT, or if the primary isn't lighting...

Also I checked to see when the waste gate is opening at it actuates at around 30 psi. This seemed high, especially for not messing with it. Does this sound right?

Why am I seeing a boost drop with the timing bump?

My drive pressure gauge is showing about a 1:1 ratio, maybe 1.2:1 or so.

Any info on what might be going on or things to check would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Trying to tune my hx35/ ht3b combo.

Postby oldestof11 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:21 pm

You need 2 boost gauges. One the reads the primary and one that reads total. Then you take the total and divide it by the primary.

So if the primary is putting out 30psi and total is 30, the secondary is useless. You need to tighten the waste gate up.

If you're getting 15 from primary and 30 total, your secondary is running a 2:1 PR. That good. Means you need more fuel.

If the primary is only putting out 5-7psi, and you have 30 total, that's a 6:1 PR. Loosen the wastegate to drive the primary harder OR you have a leak in the hot pipe.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby LandTug2 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you for the reply, I have been using some of your posts as reference. I was assuming I would need a boost gauge in the cold pipe. Will probably sort things out. So when you are saying "tighten up" the waste gate, are you meaning adjust the wastegate to open sooner/later?

Also, I have been trying to figure out how to test for drive pressure leaks, do you have any suggestions? Or do I need to just take it apart and check the gasket?

Thank you for the help by the way!
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LandTug2 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Also, should you see the 2:1 ratio all the way up through the range or just at WOT?
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Leaks would be evidenced by soot.

When I say tighten, I mean open later. You put more tension on the spring inside the waste gate which requires more air to move it.

Competition Diesel has a few threads. That and Garrett Turbochargers website.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby LandTug2 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Awesome. Thanks for all the help!
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LandTug2 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Awesome. Thanks for all the help!
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun May 03, 2015 4:32 pm

I think that 27cm housing isn't helping any either.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Wed May 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Sounds like you're basically running on the HX35 right now...honestly, with 1 turn on the fuel screw, you don't have enough fuel to drive the HT3B much. Bumping timing will send even less heat out the exhaust, which is probably why you're seeing a drop in boost. Example: I had a 60mm turbo and 5x14's on mine, and made ~300rwhp at 36psi. I switched to 6x16's, and saw 50psi, tons more smoke and heat, but no increase in power until I added more timing. I would turn up the fuel and see what happens. I would also see if I could get that gate to open around 19psi like stock.
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Postby VanillaGorilla » Sat May 16, 2015 9:46 am

More fuel!

Then at some point treat yourself to a 4200 gov spring, way more fun and I think both my trucks were better to drive when I tossed the 3200 spring
93 Reg cab LE 4x4 518AT, 145k and counting, pump turned up,Internal pump mods, Denny T stage 2, non IC DV's, timing bumped up, BD 40hp injectors,BHAF and me-built mandrel bent CAI,4" turbo back, Holley lift pump, new white with gold paint job, recieving more mods to tow the Duster and push this stupid WI snow.
VanillaGorilla
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LandTug2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Soooo, I know its been a while since we all talked but just wanted to share the improvements I have made since.

1. Ditched the 27cm housing for a 22cm housing on the HT3b. Gave it a ceramic paint job while I had it off. Also found signs of drive pressure leaks while I had it apart.
Results: Honestly, havn’t seen much of a difference. Maybe I was expecting too much of a drastic change but still glad I did it. Seeing aprox. 25 psi out of the primary at full tilt.

2. Found that my Hx35 had a blown oil seal on the compressor side and was leaking into intake. Stripped it down and replaced all the internals and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Also noticed that I have a boost leak in between the split of the big snap ring holding the compressor cover on. Looked this up online and seems like a common problem. Thinking of making a really thin brass washer to sandwich in there to try and seal it. Ideas?
Results: No oil leak! And looking good doing it now haha

3. Installed an ATS manifold. Saw that all the big hp guys are running them so figured “when in Rome”. Went on no problem.
Results: Seems like low end performance is a bit better and of course looks better now. Did have to clearance the center section to clear the secondary compressor housing. Not a big deal.

4. Installed a powerstroke intercooler. Things rock solid and looks pretty good. Install went smoothly.
Results: EGTs seem to come down quicker but are about the same while cruising (570 F. at 70 mph flat ground) Has 3” inlet/ outlets so flow is better.

5. Fabricated myself up some new intercooler, and intake tubes. Used 3” exhaust tubing with mandrel bends. Laid welding beads to hold the boots on. Came out ok.
Results: Once again, it made a noticeable difference in lower rpms. Still have to finish the last elbow into the intake plenum to eliminate the last 2.5” bottleneck.

6. Switched to a THD fuel pin. Liked that it has a linear ramp
Results: Same fueling but delivered with a linear ramp so power comes on smoother.

That’s pretty much all so far. Still want to re index the throttle as I am not seeing full fuel with the full fuel pin run all the way in. Also need to make sure the throttle cable has no slack in it. Still debating on the 4200 spring but we will see how far I get with the 3200 first. Also am really wanting to pull the head for a port polish job to see how good the low end can be but probably won’t until I blow the headgasket.

As it sits:
Seeing 55psi total boost
Seeing 25 out of the primary
Seeing 1350 F. EGT’s max

Thanks again for all the help guys, the 1st gen community wouldn’t be what it is today without guys like you. Trying to break into the 400 hp range so any more suggestions please share. Ready to join the ranks!
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Soooo, I know its been a while since we all talked but just wanted to share the improvements I have made since.

1. Ditched the 27cm housing for a 22cm housing on the HT3b. Gave it a ceramic paint job while I had it off. Also found signs of drive pressure leaks while I had it apart.
Results: Honestly, havn’t seen much of a difference. Maybe I was expecting too much of a drastic change but still glad I did it. Seeing aprox. 25 psi out of the primary at full tilt.

2. Found that my Hx35 had a blown oil seal on the compressor side and was leaking into intake. Stripped it down and replaced all the internals and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Also noticed that I have a boost leak in between the split of the big snap ring holding the compressor cover on. Looked this up online and seems like a common problem. Thinking of making a really thin brass washer to sandwich in there to try and seal it. Ideas?

3. Installed an ATS manifold. Saw that all the big hp guys are running them so figured “when in Rome”. Went on no problem.
Results: Seems like low end performance is a bit better and of course looks better now. Did have to clearance the center section to clear the secondary compressor housing. Not a big deal.

4. Installed a powerstroke intercooler. Things rock solid and looks pretty good. Install went smoothly.
Results: EGTs seem to come down quicker but are about the same while cruising (570 F. at 70 mph flat ground) Has 3” inlet/ outlets so flow is better.

5. Fabricated myself up some new intercooler, and intake tubes. Used 3” exhaust tubing with mandrel bends. Laid welding beads to hold the boots on. Came out ok.
Results: Once again, it made a noticeable difference in lower rpms. Still have to finish the last elbow into the intake plenum to eliminate the last 2.5” bottleneck.

Results: Same fueling but delivered with a linear ramp so power comes on smoother.

That’s pretty much all so far. Still want to re index the throttle as I am not seeing full fuel with the full fuel pin run all the way in. Also need to make sure the throttle cable has no slack in it. Still debating on the 4200 spring but we will see how far I get with the 3200 first. Also am really wanting to pull the head for a port polish job to see how good the low end can be but probably won’t until I blow the headgasket.

As it sits:
Seeing 55psi total boost
Seeing 1350 F. EGT’s max

Thanks again for all the help guys, the 1st gen community wouldn’t be what it is today without guys like you. Trying to break into the 400 hp range so any more suggestions please share. Ready to join the ranks!
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

As it sits:
Seeing 55psi total boost
Seeing 1350 F. EGT’s max

LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

As it sits:
Seeing 55psi total boost
Seeing 1350 F. EGT’s max

LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

As it sits:
Seeing 55psi total boost
Seeing 1350 F. EGT’s max

LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to The good stuff