Piston-to-wall clearance?

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Piston-to-wall clearance?

Postby Begle1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

I'm dropping my block off in a couple days to get resurfaced, O-rings and bored out for .020-over pistons.

What do I want my piston-to-wall clearance to be? I'm planning on using whatever piston rings Interstate McBee sent with their rebuild kit.

Keep it stock with maybe a bit on the tight side?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Re: Piston-to-wall clearance?

Postby burnt_servo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm

if the motor was stock , running it a hair tight would be fine .

but if your going to hotrod it at all , or mod the governor , ( or both ) you will want to run it looser than stock .

the extra heat from modding the engine will cause the pistons to expand more than stock , and at higher rpms you will want a touch more clearance to keep the piston from scuffing .

on the other hand , if you go too loose , the piston will rock too much causing the rings to wear out a lot quicker than normal .

most piston manufacturers give several sets of clearances depending on what you want to do with the motor .
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Piston-to-wall clearance?

Postby Begle1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

Sounds like I should hit stock spec then?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff