Disappointing HP numbers...sort of ideas?

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Disappointing HP numbers...sort of ideas?

Postby LandTug2 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Hey guys! So got some dyno time set up for my truck next week. Of course, I am too aancy. So I downloaded an app called dynolicious. Read a lot about it online and sounded like it was fairly accurate. Granted I am not expecting scientific results and to take the results with a grain of salt. Anyways, weighed the truck to make sure I had an accurate weight; 5800 lbs with me in it. Found a lonely road and did 3 pulls with a peak HP of (wait for it).. 325hp. This seemed low to me for the modifications that I have done to the truck and has me scratching my head. The other pulls were 311hp and 305hp. Any ideas? I would hate to put the money into actual dyno time if I am going to be disappointed.
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Disappointing HP numbers...sort of ideas?

Postby fatty » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Get on a real dyno and then if you aren't happy come back and ask for help. You can't really expect a free app to be worth much or very accurate.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Don't just waste money using a dyno to tell you what your mess is doing, use that dyno time as a tuning tool. ;)

It's been my experience that a dyno can be used to dial-in your IP timing.
- Make a base-line pull and note the performance over the resulting plot.
- Advance the timing an eight of an inch and make another pull noting the difference in power and where it occurs in the RPM range.
- Advance the timing another eighth inch and see the results.
- Etc. . . . . . .

Granted, my heap is all hopped-up, but here lately, every time I've been on a dyno and carried on as such, I left with an additional 50HP to the ground, . . . . . by just dialing in the timing.

Hope this helps. :)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby LandTug2 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Yea I know they really are not anything to base off of, that's why I said I take it with a grain of salt. It did seem consistent so may be good if you are looking for a ballpark. I have dyno time setup for next Friday but may not be able to make it due to work :cry: . Thank you for the guide lines for making the most of the dyno time. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do to try and get some extra horsepower out of it. It sounds like timing is going to be my friend here. As of right now I have an M&H timing spacer and an 1/8" timing bump. From what I can tell my power carries high up into the rpm, past what I am comfortable running it at (3500+). How can I bring the power band down in the RPM range? Won't timing work against that? By the way, been following your youtube videos BC847, good stuff!
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Return to The good stuff