a couple cone questions .....

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

a couple cone questions .....

Postby burnt_servo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 am

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=645

in the above link , about 1/2 way down , it shows a vw ve pump , what they describe in the thread ( turning the offset ground part of the cone in relationship to the pump ) , can it be applied to a cummins ve pump ?

also are the cones in a vw ve the same as a cummins ve ? .....

meaning i can get my hands on more than a few vw cones , and wouldn't mind trying my hand at grinding a new fuel curve into them for my cummins .

thx guys:)
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:32 am

Yes the pin grinding is done often, AKA Old Smokey! As for compatibility I dunno. Get one from the VW and pull yours out of your VE and see if they're the same.

Wade
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby burnt_servo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 am

CumminsPride wrote:Yes the pin grinding is done often, AKA Old Smokey! As for compatibility I dunno. Get one from the VW and pull yours out of your VE and see if they're the same.

Wade

i was going too pull the one out of my vw , and the one out of mytruck and compare .....
but the rad support is in the way on my truck right now , so i thought i'd ask here .
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Re: a couple cone questions .....

Postby mysteryman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 pm

No the cones are not the same in the VW pumps. There are also several different cones used in the dodges...

There is no need to grind them or mess with them at all... Messing with injection pumps is a good way to get very poor fuel mileage. It is also a good way to screw up your pump and or engine !

If you want a little more power turn the main fuel pressure screw in (clockwise) 1/2 to 1 full turn in. Then get yourself a 16 cm turbo housing.

The trick is not getting the power out of the the engine.. The trick is keeping the engine, trans and rear from exploding !!

good luck

burnt_servo wrote:http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=645

in the above link , about 1/2 way down , it shows a vw ve pump , what they describe in the thread ( turning the offset ground part of the cone in relationship to the pump ) , can it be applied to a cummins ve pump ?

meaning i can get my hands on more than a few vw cones , and wouldn't mind trying my hand at grinding a new fuel curve into them for my cummins .

mysteryman
fuel pin?

Postby flashgordon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 am

mysteryman wrote:No the cones are not the same in the VW pumps. There are also several different cones used in the dodges...

There is no need to grind them or mess with them at all... Messing with injection pumps is a good way to get very poor fuel mileage. It is also a good way to screw up your pump and or engine !

If you want a little more power turn the main fuel pressure screw in (clockwise) 1/2 to 1 full turn in. Then get yourself a 16 cm turbo housing.

The trick is not getting the power out of the the engine.. The trick is keeping the engine, trans and rear from exploding !!

good luck

WELCOME ABOARD,mysteryman!

You will find this sight is all about pushing the envealope, braking, rebuilding...........stronge..........faster.........ABLE TO REACH TALL BUILDNG IN A SINGLE BOUND............. :lol: OK maybe not the hole site. :mrgreen: but there is dedicated section for just that descusion :thumright:

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby burnt_servo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:30 am

i was thinking more in terms of physically interchanging , i would expect the cones to be different .......

actually i was hoping the vw pin would be less agressive , meaning that there would be more meat at the narrow part of the cone , so it could be ground into deeper than a stock dodge cone / fuel pin .

been reading up on old smokey's " fuel pins " .... he makes his out of stainless ... not sure what grade of stainless ...

but the wheels are turning , now i'm thinking it would probally be a heck of alot easier just to make my own rather than start butchering a bunch of old vw ones .

as for blowing up the tranny and diffs ........ it is all how you drive it , some guys could have the cummins producing 100 hp and 300 ft pounds torque , and still grenade the running gear , out of a 5 ton truck , empty .

mysteryman wrote:No the cones are not the same in the VW pumps. There are also several different cones used in the dodges...

good luck

burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPride » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:29 am

If you're gonna make your own make sure it's HARD! I've found some old electric motors that have the same size shaft that have hardened material. So if you can find some old motors you may have a few fuel pins to try! LOL

Wade
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Postby burnt_servo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:01 am

CumminsPride wrote:If you're gonna make your own make sure it's HARD! I've found some old electric motors that have the same size shaft that have hardened material. So if you can find some old motors you may have a few fuel pins to try! LOL

Wade

i like it ..... and i have a couple gather dust too . thanks :)
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BC847 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

mysteryman wrote: The trick is not getting the power out of the the engine.. The trick is keeping the engine, trans and rear from exploding !!

Oh my! :cry:
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby bgilbert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:50 pm

flashgordon wrote:WELCOME ABOARD,mysteryman!

You will find this sight is all about pushing the envealope, braking, rebuilding...........stronge..........faster.........ABLE TO REACH TALL BUILDNG IN A SINGLE BOUND............. :lol: OK maybe not the hole site. :mrgreen: but there is dedicated section for just that descusion :thumright:

AKA not the site for mysteryman ;) :lol: .

As far as the vw pin it would work just fine in your VE. It might not have the same thickness/pitch/cut etc as each pin/cone in the Dodge VE pumps. But who cares, it's a replacement part. Modify it to your own liking.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 am

just remove the afc lever, oh and dont buy the bully dog one, that dont hardent them enough
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff